Sirius Antennas - Old and new?

AudioFox

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
West Virginia, USA
I have a question about Sirius radio antennas. It seems like a lot of the older receivers I've run across have had two-wire antennas hooked into an inline "automatic level control" box. Just recently I put an older (ca. 2002) Panasonic CR-SRT100 Sirius receiver with such an antenna in my car. I didn't want to use the stock antenna (Panasonic CL-SRA100) since it was kind of big, so I hooked it up to a newer, one-wire Sirius low profile (model 14125) antenna.

The ALC box is just a little inline contraption with two SMB connectors (dark green and light green) on the antenna side and two (white and blue) on the receiver side. If I connect the new antenna to the light green jack on the ALC box and leave the other one open everything works fine, but the receiver keeps popping up an "ANTENNA ERROR" message. Whatever error it's indicating isn't really affecting anything, but the message is kind of annoying. I was wondering if someone makes an adaptor for these. Do you know what the dark green coax and ALC box do? Could I dispense with the ALC box altogether? I'm kind of afraid to try it since this radio was pretty expensive and I don't want to fry anything.

Can you modify the antenna that came with the receiver and connect it but just tuck it away somewhere? That way, the antenna is connected so you probably won't get the error message because then the receiver sees it's connected. The two connections are for the satellite and the other is for terrestrial repeaters (that are in big metro areas where tall buildings block satellite signal).

I modified the OEM satellite antenna that was on my car to use with a Sirius aftermarket receiver. The OEM had two cables like you're describing but the aftermarket only needed one. I did not have any problems once I got the right cable connected.

I've never tried exactly what you're doing but I would not anticipate that hooking up direct would 'fry'. If you were transmitting, that might be different. But the antenna is only receiving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts