Sirius home antenna - high rise condo

mawaters

Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
southern Ohio
I have been using a Sirius S50 unit for several weeks in my car. ( I really like the content; I don't like the S50.) I purchased the home base unit to use it connected to my home audio system. I live on the 9th floor of an 18 story high rise building. All my windows and my balcony face east.

First I tried the S50 home antenna on an inside window sill facing up, right at the window pane. Then I tried placing the antenna out on the balcony floor at the outer edge, about 8 feet out from the building (but there is the upstairs neighbors balcony 10 feet above). I cannot ever get a signal.

My question is: should I risk more money and purchase a better antenna (e.g. Terk outdoor antenna, $79), or is there a chance I will not be able to get a signal even with the better antenna? If that is the case I will give up on home use :( and just use it in the car. I can't get access to the roof from my unit, and I'm not even really supposed to mount anything obtrusive on the building or balcony. There is no dish for the building; we have cable TV instead. I live in a large southern Ohio city.

Side note: a friend lives on the 17th floor facing west. He has XM with an inside antenna. He has no reception problems whatsoever. maybe it is the height, maybe the western exposure, maybe because it is XM, or some combination of these.

Thanks
M.A.

There's got to be somewhere you can mount it that can get a signal, but without dishes it's hard...

The best part about buying this stuff is that you can return it. That may be your only choice, buy the better antenna and see if it works. If not, you're only out the price of gas or shipping costs...

If you knew a satellite technician you could maybe ask for some help (pay him...) in figuring out a solution...

My home kit came with a bad antenna -- couldn't get a signal from my highrise apartment, even if I hung it out the window. I swapped out the antanna, and signal is perfect. You might try a different antenna.