"Sirius" Installation problem

Pixel

Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Cent Indiana
After 3 years in my Chevy Trailblazer enjoying Sirius everyday without a hitch, today I've hit a significant pothole.
I just traded in my gas guzzling SUV for a new Honda Civic. As I go to hook up my Sirius Starmate unit, I noticed the accessory power outlet powers OFF when the car shuts off! This is very disappointing as my normal routine is to "time slip" just about everything I listen to so I can zap thru commercials, I'll hit "pause" when I make a quick stop to get out of the car and resume listening when I get back.
Is there a procedure for hooking up the Starmate to the battery directly so the power isn't cut off when the car is shut off? I enjoy my Sirius so much that I may not have bought this car had I known in advance that this would be the case.
Any help would be appreciated.

can you hard wire into the cig lighter? Thats what I did with my Sirius in my Ranger. The accessory is on all the time but I use that for the cell and since I don't smoke I just wired it into the wires of the cig lighter. Otherwise you could hard wire it to the battery but make sure to put a fuse in the line in case there are issues.

After 3 years in my Chevy Trailblazer enjoying Sirius everyday without a hitch, today I've hit a significant pothole.
I just traded in my gas guzzling SUV for a new Honda Civic. As I go to hook up my Sirius Starmate unit, I noticed the accessory power outlet powers OFF when the car shuts off! This is very disappointing as my normal routine is to "time slip" just about everything I listen to so I can zap thru commercials, I'll hit "pause" when I make a quick stop to get out of the car and resume listening when I get back.
Is there a procedure for hooking up the Starmate to the battery directly so the power isn't cut off when the car is shut off? I enjoy my Sirius so much that I may not have bought this car had I known in advance that this would be the case.
Any help would be appreciated.

My Accord is the same way and wanted power on at all times with a choice. What I did was pull the radio and dig in the harness to the radio with a volt meter and found the constant power wire and the switched power wire. I wired in a switch that switches the power from constant to switched and surfaced mounted it hidden in the cubby below the radio. So the times I want to press pause I make sure it is on constant and hit pause.

Wiring straight to constant should be an easy task if you have a volt meter to check your connections. Find a ground and the constant behind the radio. Cut the cigarette lighter plug off of your Sirius wire. The center pin of the plug is positive. Use the continuity function of the volt meter to identify the + and - wires. Double check! Go to Wal-Mart and get the little red in-line splices. The ones where you don't have to cut the car's wire. You put the splice around the car's wire and slide the Sirius wire into the splice, smash the little metal piece down into the plastic, and snap the plastic cover closed. I usually put a little electrical tape to just to make sure. It's not hard....just take your time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts