Sirius Music Quality

I just got a Starmate Replay and have just the opposite experience. I have my FM set to 88.1 and depending on where I am, I get a weak FM station but as soon as I turn on my Sirius, it's like the station is totally muted and I get a superb, clean sound. I used a tape adaptor for awhile but the FM modulator sounds much better.

Tom_P said:
This is why all my car stereos have aux input, there no FM modulator that provides good sound quality..

I also disagree, I have heard numerous FM modulated systems that sound great, to the point where people have to ask. I am not saying the direct connect doesn't sound better, but a blanket statement that no FM mod can sound great is wrong.

rcbridge said:
Fm modulators are not the way to go when you have a source that is better than FM quality, you can seriously limit the sound!!
xm or sirius aren't any better than fm radio. they could have been but with lobbying by the nab they won and prevented sat from sounding better than it does.

Ron

ronfelder said:
xm or sirius aren't any better than fm radio. they could have been but with lobbying by the nab they won and prevented sat from sounding better than it does.

Ron

Ron can you elaborate on this a bit?

I just installed my Sirius SIR-ALP1 ai-net accessory for my alpine head unit. I have noticed considerable sound quality issues... like, to the point where I would rather listen to 128kbps mp3 stream from di.fm than my newly installed Sirius receiver.

The sound quality in my opinion is right in line with a 96-112kbps variable bit rate MP3. Your comment sparked my interest because I've been curious to know if Sirius/XM do compress their audio beyond CD quality, much like digital cable is compressed far beyond that of DVD-quality IMO.

Any comments? I'm rather disappointed, and don't even get me started on their lame online radio offering :lol:

I refer to the frequency response of FM versus other mediums, in my opinion the quality of Sat radio is better then OTA radio but once you de-mod then remod on an FM carrier you lower the quality.
You can prove this if you have an aux input and a modulator feeding the same head unit juist do an A/B test and judge for yourself!!

webguyEvo8 said:
Ron can you elaborate on this a bit?

I just installed my Sirius SIR-ALP1 ai-net accessory for my alpine head unit. I have noticed considerable sound quality issues... like, to the point where I would rather listen to 128kbps mp3 stream from di.fm than my newly installed Sirius receiver.

The sound quality in my opinion is right in line with a 96-112kbps variable bit rate MP3. Your comment sparked my interest because I've been curious to know if Sirius/XM do compress their audio beyond CD quality, much like digital cable is compressed far beyond that of DVD-quality IMO.

Any comments? I'm rather disappointed, and don't even get me started on their lame online radio offering :lol:

I don't know if you using the modulator or audio out but, a freind of mine who is in broadcasting has discovered that they xm/sirius sound better using the modulator rather than audio out. Not sure why but it does.

As for the question you asked. I just remember reading that the nab lobbied the fcc to cut down on the sampling rate. they didn't want it to sound to good. seems to me even though percentage wise not many people have sat. radio. the nab and the radio industry are very much afraid of the competiton. Sat. radio might not sound good to you , but to the average person such as myself it sound ok. Plus the programming is way superior that is why I bought sirius.
Ron

Seems like the sound quality of Sirius has deteriorated in recent months, which is a shame since the programming is so good. I've noticed a muddy, hollow quality to the midrange - kind of like listening to an Internet music stream or some of the cheap cassettes I used to listen to. Thought it might just be one poor recording, but extended listening on various channels revealed the same problem. Anyone else notice it? (This happens with both receivers I own.)

I've noticed it too - it isn't consistant across channels though. Listen to 100 / 101 and then compare to 103/104 quality wise.

Many of the music channels have the same vasyly different quality. Octane (20) has been doing 'ok' lately.

biged007 said:
I have the Sirius Sportster Replay and the music quality was horrible......too much FM bleed-through.....I was constantly changing FM channels, but I ordered a FM modulator through Crutchfield and that took care of all my bleed-through problems:up . Sound quality is best with a head unit because my Pinoeer XM head unit sounds great, but if you can only use something like the Sportster try the Fm modulator too. Also, I drive a 18 wheeler and decided to lay my new antenna on the dash rather than mount it outside again.....the last one got trashed. I have driven from Pittsb to Memphis with hardly any drop outs except for the bridges around Cinn:) .
I have a Pioneer XM head unit in my Jeep and have my Sportster hooked up to the AUX input and the sound is great. (After a $40 IP BUS RCA interconnector) biged007 you should look into that if you have a Aux input. I drive an 18 wheeler also and use the cassete adapter in my 02 Volvo Tractor, but used to use the FM transmitter with and without the FM transmitter antenna with the radio set on 87.9 and had very few FM bleed over problems or drop outs between DC and NYC except some bridges but got good signals going over (and under) the GW bridge. Must be alot of repeaters. Antenna is on the roof just above my head on the drivers side in the Volvo. Radio in the Volvo is "Sat ready", so if i can the Sportster will be hardwired there too.--Ray

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts