Sirius outdoor antenna

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
I went to Best Buy and Target neither had one in stock after both said they had it. I was looking for the (14240 DE outdoor mountable one) Best Buy said that you don't need or want the outdoor one and to use either the disc car one it is weatherproof and can be mounted outside... or use the indoor/outdoor one that comes with the Home Kit.

My issue is the wire... I think they just wanted me to buy what they had in stock but I have the one from the home kit and could mount this outside... can I splice the wire for the antenna and have a run of RG6 or something? This thing does not look outdoor compliant if you ask me but Best Buy said it was and the Sirius site says it is.

I don't need to diplex or combine my DBS with my Sirius.. I just wanted to use coax wire for extending my sirius antenna. Is it possible just to slice in to it some way or must a I get an extention kit or the kits you posted at $49+?

No, there is no cutting/splicing; that would ruin your antenna's performance and your Sirius reception.

There is the DEI 14230 50' extension kit $28 at GoElectronic or Terk SIR-EXT50 50' kit $25 at amazon.

There is the Sirius EXT-1/SBA-1 extension kit $56 at sirius-radio-satellite.com where you can run your on RG6.

BUT that SIRIUS DBS Combiner/Splitter #14220 ties it in with ALL the RG6 already run; just diplex the outlet location.

You try to splice and you will end up spending 2 or 3 times more money in the long run than just doing it right the 1st time.

My sirius radio is in my garage, combining it with my current RG6 ran, will distribute it to the bedrooms and not really help me much(also might interfere with the HD locals I have diplexed in to 3 HDTV's possibly from OTA ant.). I listen to Sirius when I am out in the garage. Inside in the house D* has XM or I just watch NFL Network. So this works out well for me. I will just get the outdoor antenna 14240 and this should provide the extra cable needed to get the signal over to my AV rack in my garage (just a little short by about a foot or so currently)

I own a music store and do cable repairs etc all the time So I figured I could extend the wire a bit, but before I cut anything I figured I should check here. Heck I extended a playstation controller and those wires are SMALL hehehee! Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)