Sirius Plug & Play ?

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
I am sorry to start a new thread on this but I could not find the answers I was looking for in a search.

I have decided to go back in to satellite radio. I had this like 2 years ago but sold both vehicles that had it installed (one XM, one Sirius) and left the equipment. I like the look and feel of the Blaupunkt America SR04. I understand this is a plug and play radio. I take that to mean I will need to install the mount, antenna and cigarette lighter for power. I also take this to mean they have since done away with the FM Modulators (I see it built in to this unit) and those stupid tuners that were like 12x9x1 ... is this correct or am I smoking something?

You are correct. Sirius has newer tuners (generally referred to under the "2.5G" name) which are more like SkiFi sized. The Blaupunkt is really the last of the 2.0 tuners, but much smaller that others you may have been familiar with. Here's a product matrix that might help with questions.

P.S. Go Avs!!

Thanks RoadRunner!! One more thing if the Blaupunkt is a 2.0 ... how come it is in that Matrix? Oh and the main reason I like it is because I have a VW Passat ... all blue and red instrument lighting from the factory.

Which one do you have?

Go AVS, I wish ... no hockey is killing me!!! I am going to go to a few Eagles games at the Bud Event center here in Loveland, that will help with the withdrawals!!

slacker9876 said:
Thanks RoadRunner!! One more thing if the Blaupunkt is a 2.0 ... how come it is in that Matrix? Oh and the main reason I like it is because I have a VW Passat ... all blue and red instrument lighting from the factory.

Which one do you have?

I have a Passat and I have the JVC PnP... red lighting and i like the way it looks against the blue.... check out the comments over at siriusbackstage about the Blaupunkt....

Well The SR04 was not available anywhere so I opted for the the new Sportster. Looks like I'll have to take it back as the display is so bright for night driving that is a distraction to driving in general. I may get the old Kenwood Here2Anywhere until the new Here2Everywhere is released. I may also keep the Sportster until it is released.

Does anyone know if the cradles are interchangeable between the these two units? I would think the Sirius brand is made by Kenwood but I could also be wrong :)

I am somewhat surprised that even with a peak on the signal meter the broadcast sound a little "tinny." Any suggestion for you fellas on setting Bass, Mid & Treble? Some broadcasts even sound like mono ... kinda funny for satellite, but then again I'll bet my Yamaha receiver in my home theater sounds better than the deck in my car even if it is a Monsoon syst

...and less than 3 days to defection. I returned my Sirius Sporster today in favor of the XM Roady2. I like the XM lineup better, the radio is dimmer at night and the comedy is WAY better which will be my main usage, well that and classic rock! Tahnks everyone for your advice. Also it has a vent mount kit ... can anyone say it is about time!?!?

Oh and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the PR on the MyFi didn't have just a little bit to do with my decision.

I think the comedy channels are better on Sirius (except for the Four Quotas Show) XM has a lot of repeats, but Sirius seems to have a wider library of bits. :)

RAW DOG!

Humor like like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. Not saying I like ugly women or anything, but I like the selection on XM ... NOT having the NHL, if they ever decide to play again may be an issue. I do seem to be quite out voted on my selection of XM vs Sirius but it is like TV, to each their own!

Raw Dog was good ... I did like it, the wife hated it but I have often accused her of being from Mississippi even though she is an Irish-Mexican. Needless to say I try not to piss her off!

This is a great example of different strokes for different folks. Although I prefer Sirius, I'm open minded enough to recognize that it's a personal preference. I would hope hope that people would listen to both and find the service that fits them best.

Responsible people like Scott can choose Sirius (or both!) and slackers can choose XM! :p

Actually I have changed my election to neither. I loved the XM Roady2 Hardware but the sound from both services was tinny. Upon my second return to my local SoundTrack a rep that I have faith in said this is a universal issue even for intro audiophiles. He let me know the portable units are just this way and that a head unit with an actual tuner box would remedy this. Since my Passat would need a complete rewire (to utilize it's 8-speaker systems & built-in amplifier) I passed and I am back to FM & CDs

:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts