Sirius XM in talks with DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I for one have been a subscriber since 2003 and paid a few hundred dollars for a lifetime subscription so that's one less paying $13/month;). IHMO a flaw in your logic is that not everyone is on a month to month plan so they're not all paying $13/month, the question is how many are on a discounted plan?

And of course in this economy how many people would cut back on such non-essential service (compared to pay-TV) and how many new subs do they expect to add when the auto sales are suffering so much right now.

I don't see it being viable any time soon.

Besides the 40% stake in Sirius XM, what else does Liberty and Directv get out the deal.

15% interest on the loans, but there's a good chance they'd have to just roll them over when they come due.

What branch of liberty will have the 40% stake in Sirius XM? Liberty has their Entertainment Branch, Capital Branch & Interactive Branch.

That's not clear, but it's very likely under the same ownership structure as DirecTV. There is heavy speculation on CNBC today that while they didn't discuss integration into DirecTV, they will want to do that in the future.

And of course in this economy how many people would cut back on such non-essential service (compared to pay-TV) and how many new subs do they expect to add when the auto sales are suffering so much right now.

I don't see it being viable any time soon.

They are viable now, if they had been able to roll over their debt like they would in the past. I'm not quite sure what you have against Sirius XM and why you want to see them fail so horribly. I dropped my subscription, I agree they need to fix the product, however I wouldn't like to see the company go under. I think they have good prospects going forward. Especially under Liberty ownership

Liberty/Sirius XM will probably raise the rates to Dish Network now...that'd suck...

It would also be illegal. Liberty already owns part or all of some significant cable networks, including Starz, Game Show Network, and several regional sports networks. The relationship between Dish Network and Liberty would not be new.

... I'm not quite sure what you have against Sirius XM and why you want to see them fail so horribly. I dropped my subscription, I agree they need to fix the product, however I wouldn't like to see the company go under. I think they have good prospects going forward. Especially under Liberty ownership

Who said I wanted to see them go under? I just bought a new GM truck that comes with the Sirius radio installed and thought it would just be a piece of electronic junk a few days ago, now I can actually enjoy the three-month free service for a change.

But I do not see myself paying $13/mo. for the service, nor did you, here is why it may not be a viable service.

Maybe you should consider re-activating the service and do your part to help the venture you have so much confidence in, rather blasting me for wanting to see it out, without any basis BTW.

Interesting take on this from Business Week

I think Malone is going to do what Rupert wanted to do. Malone might not go international with it, but he will be the king of satellite in the United States. It's kind of a shame that Malone didn't get Hughes directly from GM before they broke up Direcway, Hughes, and DirecTV. I'm sure he'll amass everything together though. I wouldn't be surprised to see him bid for a cell phone company in the future.

Well just received an email from GM telling me the good news that Sirius XM will continue in my truck.

Unfortunately after two weeks of sampling the service in my truck, all my family agreed to rather stick to the good old local AM/FMs.

One of my coworkers also had the XM service when he bought his truck years ago, he paid $50/year for the service for the last two years and just cancelled it late last year to cut back on the expenses. And he really loved the XM service BTW, but he said his wife told him some of his toys had to go, had to pick his poison.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)