Sirius & XM in the car

jailbird

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 11, 2004
Currently I have a Pioneer headunit w/ a Pioneer SIR-PNR1 dedicated tuner. I was thinking of maybe also adding a XM sub and installing a GEX-P920XM daisy-chained through the PNR1's IP-Bus input port. From what I can tell, this will work.

My biggest question is the antenna. While I installed the headunit myself, I had Best Buy install the antenna & tuner, since the antenna is a little much for me to deal with. I'd also hate to have two antenna stuck to the top of my roof.

I've heard of people using antenna splitters to hook up two receivers (of the same service), and I've heard people saying in theory you should be able to have a XM tuner and a Sirius tuner share one antenna, but I don't think anybody has confirmed it.

Has anybody tried it? Any results? Any pointers/hardware links/etc you could give?

Thanks!

Do not try to splice into the other antenna's as just like a satellite TV system, the antenna is powered through the tiny coax cable. You'll end up shorting something out. Probably the easiest thing to do is just deal with the two antennas.

Put one on your dashboard instead of both on the roof. Both my vehicles have the antenna on the dashboard and no reception problems.

digiblur: Wasn't going to splice it.. they actually sell splitters to hook two units up to one antenna. Now it's sold to hook up two Sirius units or two XO units, but I don't see why one of each wouldn't work...

DWS44: Not a bad idea. I'd prefer to not to that, but I guess as a last resort that'd work.

My new biggest problem is that Best Buy didn't install the tuner under the passenger's seat like the manual said to. I think they installed it in the f'in dash despite the fact that the book said to put it somewhere w/ ventilation. So once I get that resolved, then I go start to experiment :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts