Sirius XM TCPA Class Action Settlement

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
The lawsuit alleges that Sirius XM violated the TCPA by allegedly authorizing telephone solicitation calls made to Class Members’ cell phone numbers using an automatic telephone dialing system. These calls were made by or on behalf of Sirius XM to individuals who had purchased or leased a new or used vehicle that had a promotional subscription to Sirius XM radio that ended no later than April 5, 2016 and who never became paying subscribers prior to July 5, 2016.

Sirius XM denies each and every one of the allegations in the lawsuit and does not concede or admit any liability whatever, and in particular denies that telemarketing vendors retained by Sirius XM used any automatic telephone dialing systems to call wireless (or cell or mobile) phones; Sirius XM has asserted various other defenses and further denies that Class Members suffered any injury or damage.

All Class Members will have the opportunity to receive three months of Sirius XM's Select service (presently $15.99/month, plus applicable sales taxes) (the "Free Service"). The Free Service will not be provided until after the Settlement becomes final. If you know that you want to register for the Free Service now, you may do so by selecting the "Register for the Free Service" option.

In the alternative, if you do not wish to receive the Free Service, you may submit a claim for a pro rata cash payment from a $35 million Settlement Fund after payment of attorney's fees, service awards, costs, expenses, and settlement administration.

https://www.siriusxmtcpasettlement.com/en

Sirius XM on the hook for a $35 million settlement for calling people in their trial subscription without their permission (often following a vehicle purchase).

If you were called you can get 3 free months of service at the site above.

I'm not a big proponent of class action lawsuits, but ran into this on the web and felt it was worth sharing for anyone that recently purchased / leased a vehicle and was called.

Sirius XM on the hook for a $35 million settlement for calling people in their trial subscription without their permission (often following a vehicle purchase).

If you were called you can get 3 free months of service at the site above.

I'm not a big proponent of class action lawsuits, but ran into this on the web and felt it was worth sharing for anyone that recently purchased / leased a vehicle and was called.
Thanks for sharing this.

I have 2 vehicles that came with Sirius XM and my dealer forwarded ALL of my contact information to SiriusXM without my consent. I got emails, phone calls, and letters after the trial ended -- very annoying and a big waste of my time. It took multiple attempts to get them to stop bugging me. Also, I have heard that if you ever do get sucked in to their service and give them your credit card, it is difficult to actually cancel and they just keep charging your credit card.

... Sirius XM has asserted various other defenses and further denies that Class Members suffered any injury or damage....
They harrassed me, stole my time answering their calls and the effort it took me in getting them to stop. That's not damaging?

I never do business with companies that disrespect me and subject me to numerous unwanted sales calls, mailings, emails, etc.

I don't consider a 3 month trial to be an adequate settlement for the degree of harassment I got from them. I don't want their 3 month free trial from them. After it ended, I am sure that they would resume the bombardment of annoying calls and mailings. Instead, I would prefer it if the company simply was wiped out of existence and their remaining assets (if any) were used to help pay off the national debt. :yessign

Wow, that last line is quite spiteful. :)

While I don't believe they will shut down and turn over all assets, for a cash strapped company $35 million will make a dent, and hopefully is big enough to change their behaviors going forward.

Wow, that last line is quite spiteful. :) ...
Well they add insult to injury by saying no one suffered any injury or damage.

You can call it spiteful, and that's a fitting description of how much that company bothers me. It shows how much I resent companies who get away with cr@p like this. The only winners in this are the lawyers. If I opted for a cash settlement, after the lawyers were done taking their 99% cut, I'd get next to nothing.
While I don't believe they will shut down and turn over all assets, for a cash strapped company $35 million will make a dent, and hopefully is big enough to change their behaviors going forward.
I agree, of course, that they won't be forced out of business or repay the national debt. But I can always dream that some day they will get what they deserve....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)