Sirius Xm to raise rates another $2

What would be GREAT is if you could get a satellite radio subscription as a subsidized add-on to your cable, satellite, or broadband bill. If SXM could work out some partnership deals THAT could be the salvation of the industry.

I don't understand the logic that said a satellite TV merger between DirecTV and Dish was disallowed because it was "anticompetitive" while a similar merger among the two main satellite radio players was allowed. And I suspect that the people who warned against the Sirius/XM merger because it created a satellite radio monopoly are saying "I told you so"....

Well the reality is that I'm listening to something on Sirius at least 4 or 5 hours a day. Even when it goes up to $15 a month, it's still less than I used to spend on CDs or iTunes before I subscribed. So it's still a good value for me. If this small increase makes it less likely that they go out of business, I'm good with it.

Just adds more credence to why I didn't renew my sub with either company. Have a GM car and Ford truck. Different systems. When they merged, they still wanted to gouge me full price for both systems. Told them no way and went back to FM and CD's. They still burn up my phone every day until I blocked it and now they call the cell. Next time they call I am going to get out the boat horn and see how they like that.

I too had XM when it was around nine dollars a month. I let my XM radios sub lapse after it was time to renew. I had 4 radios on that sub then, feeling it was time for a change and in October last year I got a Sirius Radio for my classic car, it has just the factory AM FM radio in it and I want to keep the car factory so I wanted to try another satellite radio service, it was time for a change!

I love the fact that I can drive to Florida or some other way off state and still hear my favorite channels without having to find new ones when the station went out of range.

So far, other than some of the XM stuff that moved over, the programming is about the same on the music channels. Stuck in the same songs over and over again. The talk radio is a bit different, I do not care for Howard Stern, but the comedy is a nice change.

If I want to hear the same songs over and over the IPod will do the same thing with the “repeat all” function. It is truly sad for there is so much potential for satellite radio and believe me we are not seeing it right now!

:mad: Was shocked to see that they are charging now for the internet stream now. What is up with that! That should be free with subscription pricing, it used to be but the sample rate sucked but you could listen at work.

:confused: I pay about $49 dollars every three months for just one radio! I got an email the other day where they are promoting a free second car radio with vehicle kit, just sign up for the first months and a $15 activation fee. That will shoot my bill if I decided to do that to $69 dollars give or take every 3 months just for 2 radios on Sirius programming! I was paying cheaper price when I was over on XM with 4 radios.

I truly have not been overly impressed with either service to tell you the truth, having XM for over 5 years and now Sirius, and then the merger! I feel this will be the demise of them both. Truly they will be around for awhile yet but I can see subscribers dropping like flies!

I understand the US Music Royalty rights thing, being in terrestrial broadcast radio for over 20 years we had to pay the licensee fees to ASCAP & BMI to use music on the air! But don’t compromise the service! I too pay for satellite radio for the fact I want un-censored material if so choose to listen to it, no commercials is a plus, the internet streaming thing was a good thing now since you got to sign up for the everything package I too wonder if I will continue my service in October!

I will be the many there in this post that will load up the IPod and just go with that in the car. Starting to be a cr:rant:ck, this is more than the cheapest satellite television channel package that is offered! What are they thinking here? I will say the subscribers will start dropping service when their contracts expire and since it is not going well with price increases and the service, I say they will be hurting more than they were months ago before the merger!

We subscribers are about fed up with this! I can start listing to regular terrestrial radio again! No problem there!

My two cents :rolleyes:!

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

I was considering continuing satellite radio (had XM 3 years), but when introduced to slacker, I decided not to renew. Last month I drove a 2200 mile trip with slacker, it worked great. I used the device so it had the music stored on it.

Essentially with slacker you get the music, with super deep playlists. You give up the live feeds, but I can live without the live feeds for $$/month. There still is free talk radio on AM when I want a change. Satellite radio is on the cable TV track now in raising prices.

I don't understand the logic that said a satellite TV merger between DirecTV and Dish was disallowed because it was "anticompetitive" while a similar merger among the two main satellite radio players was allowed. And I suspect that the people who warned against the Sirius/XM merger because it created a satellite radio monopoly are saying "I told you so"....

One was the attempted merger of two already profitable companies that would have created a monopoly. The merger was denied and both continue operations. The other was a a merger of two unprofitable companies that everyone thought would go under without a merger and might anyway in spite of the merger and the monopoly it created.

It seems like they took the estimated operating costs and divided it by the number of subs, then set a plan to raise the sub cost to the amount needed. This will never work, every time they raise prices they will lose more subs. They were doomed when they went over $9.99. The economy is just too weak to get the subs over $10.

I was considering continuing satellite radio (had XM 3 years), but when introduced to slacker, I decided not to renew. Last month I drove a 2200 mile trip with slacker, it worked great. I used the device so it had the music stored on it.

Essentially with slacker you get the music, with super deep playlists. You give up the live feeds, but I can live without the live feeds for $$/month. There still is free talk radio on AM when I want a change. Satellite radio is on the cable TV track now in raising prices.
I love Slacker too , I use it at work and home on the web. In the car i have my Zune and there are about 10,000 songs on it and my own playlists and plenty of podcasts . Sirius thinks there are no threats to them but there are. The live feed thing was never a big deal for me and i have talkitive dj's . So the decision to cancel was pretty easy for me and it's been 3 years since I've had Sirius and everything is a ok . The G2 kicks ass by the way, i plan on getting one sooner or later .

I actually cancelled XM way back when Music Lab and Luna were thrown off the air. At the time AOL Radio was still streaming it online and I could get X-Country and Beyond Jazz through that service for free. When that was no longer possible (and X-Country and Beyond Jazz were thrown off the air after the merger) I was looking for a new place to get music. That search ended when I got the iPhone. Slacker, Pandora, AOL Radio, Flycast, Last.fm and numerous other web apps that stream music, talk, and anything else you could possibly imagine, including scanner frequencies on Wunderradio.

I have found that most anything you wanted to listen to on satellite radio is available from other sources. I had cable, so the retransmission of FOXNews, CNN, etc wasn't really an issue. The music on services like Slacker is light years ahead of the playlists on SiriusFM. And you have the killer app with Slacker and Pandora, which is interactivity. YOU choose what songs are played, not some PD who has a favorite artist he likes to beat to death.

Even for as many times as I thought about coming back to satellite radio, something always happens that makes me change my mind. After all this, I can't see ever going back unless there are some wholesale changes made, in the management structure, playlists, DJs, personalities, the whole ball of wax.

You can add me to the list of ex-Sirius lisners. They were on my short list when they increased the additional receiver fee (in my case, I had two additional receivers) and this latest stunt did them in.

I am quickly becoming hooked on Slacker and plan to order a G2 with a FM transmitter by the end of the month

To you all

:rant:It is getting old to keep seeing threads on people saying bad things about sirius radio. If you do not like what you are paying for just go on with your life. If you look at most of threads on the web it is the same people going from one thread to the next. Just look at this thread:eek: Cable and satellite TV raise prices every year. So this is what you do. Rabbit ears for you TV, And go back AM@FM radio, and yes HD radio and i pod. Sirius and xm will be fine. I know the big stock man cramer said Sirius is dead. We will see. Do not let the door hit you on the way out. You know the old saying(EVERYONE HAS A ---- HOLE me to.;)

I cancelled at the start of this year, it was a major adjustment going back to local, but I have survived. While local radio does have its issues, I have also seen some changes since the last time I was listing a few years back.

I have been debating getting the internet radio tuner/reciever I have seen for the house? anyone have one, what are your thoughts

I have an internet radio and for now, I am keeping my SiriusXM subscription. I like them both. I received an Aluratek Internet Radio for Christmas. It works flawlessly on my wireless network. Finding stations is a snap and the quality for most (but not all) is good. The Aluratek's speaker is not as good as it could be but really, that's the only downside for me.

:rant:It is getting old to keep seeing threads on people saying bad things about sirius radio. If you do not like what you are paying for just go on with your life. If you look at most of threads on the web it is the same people going from one thread to the next. Just look at this thread:eek: Cable and satellite TV raise prices every year. So this is what you do. Rabbit ears for you TV, And go back AM@FM radio, and yes HD radio and i pod. Sirius and xm will be fine. I know the big stock man cramer said Sirius is dead. We will see. Do not let the door hit you on the way out. You know the old saying(EVERYONE HAS A ---- HOLE me to.;)

I totally agree with you Jappleboy. I'm going to keep my subscriptions mainly because I like the sports that are offered. Unlike for JonE, for me there are numerous items on Sirius that are not available elsewhere that I love to listen too. Just remember bad news travels 4 times as fast as good news, so I'm really not suprised by those who are complaining on this forum.