Sirrius Radio Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dantart

Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
I am looking at subscribing to Sirrius radio. I am would like
to have access in my car and at home. What recomendations
do you have for equipment. What all do I have to buy? I am not looking to spend a fortune,
and is it easy to install yourself? I heard not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is new to me.

Thanks,
Dan

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.us. We hope you find this forum informative.

To attempt to answer your questions, start your quest HERE

Any of the plug and play models will fill your needs for home and auto options. Try and look hard at one that has a boom box option for future use. As far a choosing one over the others, that is difficult. Personally, I have had good luck with the Sportster. The others are just as good but have different displays and minor differences in features. As far as the best bargain, the Starmate or Screamer are priced right. Installation is much easier than you think.

Do a little research and come back here for any additional questions you may have. :)

I read the manual online, and have one question. Does the FM Transmitter nned to be installed or is internal for this unit? If it needs installed, then I assume you have to take apart the car stereo?

Thanks

If you're referring to the Sportster Replay, the FM Transmitter is built-in, but there's a short (5 inches or so) wire that you plug in to the back of the docking station that sends the signal. So I guess the encoding part is built-in, but you plug in the transmitter? Not sure how to phrase everything, but you don't need separate equipment or anything.

The FM transmitter is built into the radio. You just synchronize the Sirius tuner with your Car FM radio. As an example, set the Sirius radio to 88.1 and do the same to your Car FM radio. That is all there is to it.

I just activated a Sportster boom box in my Mother in laws bedroom. She has a traditional radio/boom box in her kitchen. I set the FM transmitter on the Sportster to 88.1 and then tuned the traditional radio to the same station and she now has Sirius playing in the bedroom and kitchen. Works like a charm.

Is it built in the Starmate or just the Sprster Replay. I am looking at buying
the Starmate is only $50.

Thanks
Dan

Dantart said:
Is it built in the Starmate or just the Sprster Replay. I am looking at buying
the Starmate is only $50.

Thanks
Dan

All of Sirius plug and plays have this capability.

From the Starmate owners manual:

• All-new compact, transportable Plug N’ Play Satellite Radio System with 3 line display
• Full system package includes all parts needed for in-car installation (P/N ST1)
Built-in FM transmitter with 100 selectable frequencies
• Supplied IR remote control
• Supplied with car installation accessories, including U-button mounting clip with suction cup
• Available accessories:
ST-H1 Home Docking Kit

yea, I thought to do the kitchen radio thing too, but I can only get about 6ft range at my house. (In the city we have NO completely dead FM channels..)

That is my experience and why I stick with them, I avg about 37' indoors with all the cordless phones and 108Mbps network traffic in the house.

we have NO completely dead FM channels..)

I think by law every market has to have some unused frequency space? What city are you in and I can find you a freq.

Dayton OH. There are plenty of 'empty' channels, but they all have a bit of static.
If I go 30 mi out of town I can get about 30ft range from car unit to the (same) boom box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)