Sitting here with all this new FTA equipment...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The LNBF is blocking a very high percentage of the surface. Maybe 10% or more?

You might get a signal off of a high-powered Dish Network satellite with a circular DSS/DBS LNBF, but unlikely to lock anything on a FSS satellite unless every angle and position is perfect.

On the brightside, the design and execution certainly puts you into the running for "That Crazy Neighbor" award... :coco

Yes, the LNBF is probably blocking at least 10% of the surface area. Not ideal.
I'm a consistent winner if the Crazy Neighbor award!
Recent comment from next door neighbor after viewing my customized mountain bike: "John, you have too much time on your hands."

Today, I'm working on 'sewer cam'. I think there is a broken sewer tile under the concrete basement floor. I'm putting together a camera system to feed into the floor drain to find the damaged tile.

Last edited:
Does the alum foil reflect visible light well? If yes, perhaps the focal spot could be made visible when this bowl is directed to the Sun or a distant reflector.
If the foil is "matte" and the reflection "hazy", why not to try a few small mirrors from Dollar Store Disco Ball? Sort of random sampling.
Another thing, your LNBF has certain Field Of View, similarly to photo camera, roughly 60 degree. For this bowl, the LNBF should be similar to "fish eye" lens, and for this to achieve, tinkering with its scalar is needed.
Just about ready to give up on this project. But I'll try your suggestions to see where the focal length really is at.

Does the alum foil reflect visible light well? If yes, perhaps the focal spot could be made visible when this bowl is directed to the Sun or a distant reflector.
If the foil is "matte" and the reflection "hazy", why not to try a few small mirrors from Dollar Store Disco Ball? Sort of random sampling.
Another thing, your LNBF has certain Field Of View, similarly to photo camera, roughly 60 degree. For this bowl, the LNBF should be similar to "fish eye" lens, and for this to achieve, tinkering with its scalar is needed.

Thanks for the suggestions polgyver. The surface is quite reflective. I cut a circle of typing paper and taped it to a length of wire coat hanger. I moved the paper around the dish looking for the 'hot spot'. The optical focal point seemed to be close to where I had had the LNBF positioned. Just for kicks, I did the same procedure using a metal garbage can lid. WoW! Found a "hot spot' that would burn my hand at about 9" off the surface. So, I glued (20) 3/4" mirrors to the can lid to see if the mirrors confirmed the 'hot spot'. LoL! No way! The mirror spot beams showed up all over the place using the typing paper. Oh well, no substitute for a real dish.

Good source of cheap mirrors in all different sizes and shapes:
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/3/4-round-craft-mirrors-242297/

My Song:

Last edited:
Reactions: Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)