Skew vs. Alignment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

706Tom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
North Georgia
I get good signals from 87 to 103. On 103 I get RFD but not ION. I get nothing on 101. My skew is 65. When I research the specs for alignment for north georgia I see that a skew of 27 is what I am suppose to use, but it doesn't work. Is there an alignment problem? What is the relation with skew and alignment. I am using a B.U.D and a Coolsat 5000.

On a BUD, you should only have to set the Skew once, then the movement of the Dish usually takes care of it. Now you may find you can Tweak your skew, and get a little better signal, but be fine with out adjusting.
When doing your research, you may be looking at the skew for a Fixed / Non-Movable Dish.

Peak your skew for 87, then enter those setting on a Sat in the west, drive the BUD west and try to catch a Signal.

What did you set the Elevation and Declination at?

Don't know. The dish was at the house when I bought it. The previous owner stopped using it years ago.

AMC 1 at 103W has an odd ball skew. I think it's out by about 20 degrees or so. The best way to deal with it is split the difference between the optimum skew for 103 and everything else. That way you get everything pretty good.

AMC 1 at 103W has an odd ball skew. I think it's out by about 20 degrees or so. The best way to deal with it is split the difference between the optimum skew for 103 and everything else. That way you get everything pretty good.

that is only on KU....C-Band is normal skew

I thought I was in Groundhog Day-I swear Iceberg answered this same question yesterday!!!
( I looked back and found the other thread lol )
His answer was almost identical to then....

I thought I was in Groundhog Day-I swear Iceberg answered this same question yesterday!!!
( I looked back and found the other thread lol )
His answer was almost identical to then....

I had a Vu Deja moment here... You know, the funny feeling that you get when you feel that you've never been here or done this before! LOL :)

Radar

What is the relation with skew and alignment.quote]

The birds are located directly above the equator which will put them in a southerly direction to receivers in the northern hemisphere. This will be where the alignment comes in, your dish must be pointed DIRECTLY at the satellite (with only slight allowance for deviation, though the more accurate, the better) noting that MOST dishes are offset and appear to be pointing below the satellite. The orientation of the transmitting antenna on the bird is probably perpendicular (across) to the equator. I haven't seen data on this, it may, in fact, be oriented parallel to the equator. In any case, the receiver antenna won't be directly below the satellite (possible, but EXTREMELY doubtful), therefore it entails a compounded angle to set the receiving antenna to the same polarization as the transmitting antenna. This is where the SKEW comes in. For an example, stand off from a power line pole and not be under the wires or directly to the side of the pole. Look at the cross-member (better to use a photo) and you'll see the angle of the cross-member is not straight at you or even straight across your vision, but is at a wierd angle -- same for the signal polarization, known as skew.

Clear as expresso coffee, eh? :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts