Sky Angel Adds TBN

Iceberg said:
Havent seen Spirit but I have seen JCTV on IA5...pretty good channel

Move that 6fter of yours over to 87 Degrees :) That is where you can find the Spirit and TVU feeds on C-band DVB :)

LOS issue....another dish blocks the view :)

One of these days I'll try to get better LOS than 89-107 on C-Band

Why Sky Angel adds channels such as TBN, HGTV, and Hallmark Channel that most of us have with E* or anywhere else is beyond me. Why not temporarily drop one of those and add Spirit back? Spirit is a channel along with TVU that many people will come to Sky Angel for.

MLBurks said:
Spirit is a channel along with TVU that many people will come to Sky Angel for.

I have found from my first hand experience in promoting Sky Angel over the last nine years, not to be true. Most Christians want entertainment and sports, with maybe a little "religion" thrown in. Also remember that TVU and Spirit would probably not have been developed at all if it wasn't for Sky Angel.

It seems that no matter what Sky Angel does, even if its out of their control, somebody is unhappy and ready to blast them. :confused:

I firmly believe that if the Christian community would have gotten behind Sky Angel years ago, they would already have their own uplink center, satellite at 61.5 degrees, all 8 of their FCC licensed frequencies and many more channels of both television and radio

I have very aggressively promoted Sky Angel since I became a subscriber in the summer of 1997. Most Christians I talk to have a “who cares” attitude, although I have gained SA a number of new subscribers and I also have given three one year subscriptions as gifts. I have also done installs at very little cost, or free of charge, and have been stabbed in the back (by some) for doing so. One of those (gift) families is no longer a subscriber.

Why do some “Christians” stab Sky Angel (who shares our beliefs and values) in the back but support Dish Network who doesn’t support our beliefs and will actually work against them? For those that think Fox News, HGTV and Hallmark are bad, you need to get your heads out of the sand and look at all of the offerings of Dish Network.

If you are a subscriber, its time to show support for Sky Angel by bringing in new subs, and maybe writing out a check above (if you can afford it) your present subscription amount. Remember that after all, Sky Angel is a ministry that we as Christians should also be praying for.:)

Jeff

I'm not as impressed with JCTV as I am with GMC. If you have a local TBN affiliate in your area, they should be broadcasting 4 or 5 OTA digital feeds, one of them being JCTV. Then again go FTA and enjoy your set up. :)

JeffH said:
It seems that no matter what Sky Angel does, even if its out of their control, somebody is unhappy and ready to blast them. :confused:

Why do some “Christians” stab Sky Angel (who shares our beliefs and values) in the back but support Dish Network who doesn’t support our beliefs and will actually work against them? For those that think Fox News, HGTV and Hallmark are bad, you need to get your heads out of the sand and look at all of the offerings of Dish Network.Jeff

First of all, I was not "stabbing" Sky Angel and I never said that Fox News, HGTV and Hallmark were bad. I was simply stating a comment that many if not most SA subscribers have DISH programming along with Sky Angel. And because of that, why would SA add "duplicate channels", most of which are available to us already with our DISH account. In my opinion, SA is nowhere being at the level where people on a large level would subscribe to SA exclusively. There will be those who disagree and will say "I have SA exclusively". Well, that's great! But for MOST of us, SA does not yet have the capabilities to be an "only" service. I believe that they will be there someday. This is MY opinion and I have a right to change it later as the jury is still out in my mind on the addition of these channels. I am kind of just thinking out loud. But discussion either for or against this is a good thing.

I do know personally pastors and other "high level" Christians from different denominations that have either had Sky Angel or have no interest in it. I think that it is a shame for any Christian to say that they have no interest in the only Christian TV service in town. Those that have had it say they cancelled because too many of their channels had duplicate programs or their channels are all the same. I can understand what they are talking about. There are lots of repeated programs throughout the day on different channels. That does not mean that I fully agree with that statement though. I am a subscriber to Sky Angel for KTV, Spirit TV, Faith TV, TLN and the Worship Network (and also Angel2 with the special programming aired time to time). To me those are channels with programming you can't get anywhere else and they are worth my SA subscription. Those that have never had SA say that they have many of those channels already with either their cable or satellite provider. When I ask what channels they are talking about, I hear SCTBN (meaning TBN), Angel1, programs on Safe TV and Eagle, and the recent "secular" additions such as Fox News, Hallmark and HGTV. Again, I don't necessarily agree with those comments. Others say that they can get those channels FTA. But that is their opinion and they have a right to it.

As far as "stabbing Sky Angel" goes, Christians and non Christians alike are going to hold Sky Angel to a higher and more critical level of judgement than DISH because SA is a Christian company. SA is being "watched" more closely than DISH. We expect DISH to have programming on it that is not family friendly because they are a secular company. SA is not secular and therefore stands out. Just as the world watches the behavior of Christians more closely to try to catch them in something, the same is said for SA. Non Christians do not want SA to survive. Christians (true Christians anyway) should want SA to survive and therefore critically judge positively or negatively every move they make. And I think that is a good thing. It keeps SA on their toes because I know for a fact that Sky Angel DOES READ THESE FORUMS. Sky Angel is ran by human beings and even Christian human beings make mistakes and misjudgements. Christians will NEVER agree on every issue as they will never agree with everything SA does. But honest disagreements and complaints should never be criticized because we all have a right to our opinion. I was very critical of the removal of AFR a few months back. I let SA know about it and AFR know about it. They both responded and unfortunately both companies had different stories as to why AFR was discontinued. And not to mention AFR had nothing nice to say about SA and SA had nothing nice to say about AFR. We MUST be watchful and critical of that which we are supporting instead of accepting everything that is done because they are a Christian company. I learned that lesson the hard way with a certain church and pastor that I trusted for more than 15 years.

Bottom line: Most of us here in this forum want SA to succeed in the biggest possible way. We may disagree on certain actions Sky Angel takes, but with prayer, a watchful eye and honest discussion in this forum, we can help SA along in living out their vision successfully.

SkyAngel has a very tough task, one that may not be achievable. They need to be self-sustaining in the long run, but that is a challenge since they have strong competition on the channel front and they have to rely on someone else's equipment (currently Dish). I currently have "SkyAngel only" to save some money (about $80-100), but I am only doing this because I have a lifetime sub. If I did not have that I would probably be out of the field altogether since cost saving is more important. FoxNews is great for my wife and we both watch HGTV a bit, but they would be duplicates if I had Top180 on Dish (or even their family pack I believe).

I am not sure what Dominion will do to stay viable in the long run. Niche services are having trouble in many areas, especially satellite (see VOOM). I would rather have a package of things at Dish than a separate service that uses Dish, though Dish would probably want more for it, and I am not sure if it would be as compelling for me at a monthly cost.

MP4 could help SkyAngel a bit, with lots more channels allowed on each transponder, but that will mean new equipment, something Dish won't cover for non-Dish subscribers.

Brad

Why Sky Angel adds channels such as TBN, HGTV, and Hallmark Channel that most of us have with E* or anywhere else is beyond me.

Most Christians want entertainment and sports, with maybe a little "religion" thrown in.

It boils down to what the Christian community wants from television. Many of the more religious Christians cannot justify paying $40 - $100/month for secular television and still maintain themselves as good stewards. Not only would the money serve more good in the offering plate, the time spent in front of secular programs could be spent reading, doing exercise or interacting with family members.

Sky Angel would do well to advertise in publications such as Christianity Today and work with ministries like 700 Club in promoting it among Christians. Its biggest competition is FTA however if and when Sky Angel gets its own uplink it will be able to provide a lot more channels than AMC4 and IA5 combined do. It will also be able to help new family-friendly channels get up and going like it did with Spirit and TVU. I would like to see the Hallmark channels replaced with something simular that is operated by a Christian organization.

It is sad that Sky Angel even needs to compete with secular program providers for Christian dollars. What is the purpose of television for the Christian home? I enjoy FOXNews but before it was on Sky Angel I got most of my news off the internet. Television in our home is used to enrich our spiritual and moral lives.