Sky Mexico?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirectDishNet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
Davenport Iowa
I have a customer that asked me a few questions that I could not answer at the time. Need some professional advice so I may give her a correct answer.

She resides in the 61244 zip code Moline, Illinois. She just moved here from Los Angeles and wants to know if she can get Sky Mexico?. I checked Lyngsat and it looks like a subscription service.

Sky Mexico is located on Intelsat 9 at 58.0°W.

Q1. Can we even see 58.0°W at 61244 Zip?
Q2. Could she set up a subscription with them living in the USA?
Q3. What type of dish/lnb would this require?

EDIT: I answered one of my questions.
Elevation: 31.7°
Azimuth (true): 136.1°
Azimuth (magn.): 137.0°
LNB Skew [?]: -31.3°

My question is, Can we even see 58.0°W at 61244 Zip?
yes and no

yes you can see 58W from Illinois. West coast can see it too. The issue is those channels are on a Mexico beam footprint....using Dish/Direct lingo, they're on a spotbeam to Mexico. If you were in a southern US state the footprint would work but not that far north (according to the maps)
intel9_mexico.gif

Could she set up a subscription with them living in the USA?
I assume you would need a Mexico address but point one kinda takes care of that issue

Thanks Ice!
I guess she is out of luck then....
Would like to recommend an alternative before I give her the bad news.... Can anyone recommend any other sats that have the most non religious spanish channels? Haven't seen too many on 97W.....

PS: I wanted to sign her up with Dish or Direct but her credit score was too low and she has an outstanding bill with Dish........

Thanks Ice!
Would like to recommend an alternative before I give her the bad news.... Can anyone recommend any other sats that have the most non religious spanish channels? Haven't seen too many on 97W.....

PS: I wanted to sign her up with Dish or Direct but her credit score was too low and she has an outstanding bill with Dish........

DirectDishNet,

How about Hispasat @ 30.0W? There are a LOT of channels on these two birds (1C and 1D - Ku band) and they come in really strong for me in Nebraska.

Despite the low elevation angle, I detect signals in the 90%+ range for quality on many and there are many FTA ch's available. Since she is further east (in IL), she might have even better reception.

For total number of FTA channels, Hispasat has to be ranked in second place next to 97.0W. Check it out and see if there are any channels that she would like there.

RADAR

DirectDishNet,

How about Hispasat @ 30.0W? There are a LOT of channels on these two birds (1C and 1D - Ku band) and they come in really strong for me in Nebraska.

Despite the low elevation angle, I detect signals in the 90%+ range for quality on many and there are many FTA ch's available. Since she is further east (in IL), she might have even better reception.

For total number of FTA channels, Hispasat has to be ranked in second place next to 97.0W. Check it out and see if there are any channels that she would like there.

RADAR

Thank you Radar!....
I'll give it a try but the elevation is only at 13.1°....Might be a little hard.

Thanks Ice!

Ask your client what particular channel she wants to see.. if she wants sky mexico she might be after the Televisa and Azteca channels.. I'm pretty sure.

Ask your client what particular channel she wants to see.. if she wants sky mexico she might be after the Televisa and Azteca channels.. I'm pretty sure.

She might be but as Iceberg mentioned, Sky Mexico is spot beamed and Illinois is out of the footprint.

Thank you Radar!....
I'll give it a try but the elevation is only at 13.1°....Might be a little hard.

DirectDishNet,

I don't foresee any problems with the elevation. If I can pull it in here near Omaha, NE, surely she can pick it up anywhere in IL with reasonable quality levels. I understand that it may still be low, but she is that much further east than I and these two sats are very strong in signal, so she should be fine, well above any threshold for any receiver.

I watch a few channels from this satellite, although many are in Spanish and not my language. The CubaVision Channel often airs English movie channels with Spanish subtitles (and although that seems odd to me) I like to watch them. Some really good movies from time to time.

I wish you good luck here, but I think you and she are going to find this (these two) sats to be a good choice.

30.0W is out of range for my USALS motor control from my longitude position, so I have to switch to DiSEqC 1.2 positioning. I don't think that will be a problem for her location.

RADAR

She might be but as Iceberg mentioned, Sky Mexico is spot beamed and Illinois is out of the footprint.

Yeah but FTA has Azteca and Televisa channels available, to go that alternative route.

AZTECA 7,13,40 @ 93w Ku

Televisa Tijuana @ 116.8w Ku

Also some more Televisa channels on Cband at 43w

Yeah but FTA has Azteca and Televisa channels available, to go that alternative route.

AZTECA 7,13,40 @ 93w Ku

Televisa Tijuana @ 116.8w Ku

Also some more Televisa channels on Cband at 43w

Thanks Pro! (¡Soy muy feliz. gracias tanto! ).. I'll give that a try today along with AcWxRadar's suggestions....You guys are great!

If she can have a 6 foot dish installed, there is lots of religious/Spanish programming on NSS806 40.5W , all FTA. If you ever have Brazilian customers with the same request the same applies.

Thank you Radar!....

If I can get it at 9 elevation you should be able to get a 13 elevation. Just need a great eastern view :)
(in the 1st two pics, its the dish on the right....the one on the left was aimed at 148)

Attachments

• 000_0151.jpg
    000_0151.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 281
  • 000_0152.jpg
    000_0152.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 417
  • 000_0153.jpg
    000_0153.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 300
  • 000_0139.jpg
    000_0139.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 267
If she can have a 6 foot dish installed, there is lots of religious/Spanish programming on NSS806 40.5W , all FTA. If you ever have Brazilian customers with the same request the same applies.

Non-Religious channels are desired according to OP , but I definitely agree with your satellite selection and I bet you can get plenty of non-religious programming on NSS-806 too.

As long as Azteca is ITC , I believe these channels might be the best offering on Ku from Mexico.

You would think that all spanish channels are created equal , not from a national's point of view.

Most people can love Cubavision for what it offers but it certainly doesn't have the Mexico comraderie feeling you get from Azteca , I mean just the commercials and Soccer league stuff could bring tears to some people living in the sticks.

Most hispanics living in a big U.S. metro TV market are spoiled by all the offerings , The Big 3 Univision - Telemundo - Telefutura , and some LP stuff too ....in Chicago we get Azteca America also .

The issue is those channels are on a Mexico beam footprint....using Dish/Direct lingo, they're on a spotbeam to Mexico. If you were in a southern US state the footprint would work but not that far north...

In New Orleans at 90W/30N, I can occasionally lock one of the clear Sky Mexico channels on my 90CM motorized dishes. Usually, the channels are too pixelized to view.

I just tried with an 80cm dish here in Calif, elevation at 15 (wow) and signal is very strong at 70-80% using the AZBOX.

Added all TP info copied from Lyngsat and downloaded about 265 channels in which just like I mentioned before, the only ITC channels are the promo's aka Mosaicos.

Non-Religious channels are desired according to OP , but I definitely agree with your satellite selection and I bet you can get plenty of non-religious programming on NSS-806 too.

As long as Azteca is ITC , I believe these channels might be the best offering on Ku from Mexico.

You would think that all spanish channels are created equal , not from a national's point of view.

Most people can love Cubavision for what it offers but it certainly doesn't have the Mexico comraderie feeling you get from Azteca , I mean just the commercials and Soccer league stuff could bring tears to some people living in the sticks.

Most hispanics living in a big U.S. metro TV market are spoiled by all the offerings , The Big 3 Univision - Telemundo - Telefutura , and some LP stuff too ....in Chicago we get Azteca America also .

Jayelem,

In your last statement (paragraph), were you referring to OTA as well as satellite FTA broadcasts?

I can receive about 11-15 OTA channels here in the Omaha, NE area, but I don't ever watch them.

Since my hobby revolves around the satellite reception, I basically ignore the OTA channels, other than to check them out and see what is available. I do actually pick up one of the RTV affiliates from KLKN-DT from Hastings/Lincoln/Kearney NE.

They are all good reception channels for me and I am using a simple indoor antenna (RCA) sitting on an Advent speaker next to my entertainment center. One of those square, thin HD antennas that you can buy from Walmart or Radio Shack. I do have to reposition that antenna to obtain a usable signal from each as they don't all come in at the same time, depending upon how I orientate the antenna.

I kinda went off tangent here to discuss the OTA signal reception, but I was just curious.

Getting back to the availability of Spanish / Mexican or Latino broadcasts via satellite. I know that I pick up quite a few from many different satellites across the horizon. Since English is my primary language, I usually pay little attention to any others, so I cannot tell what is a good channel for any Spanish, Germanic, Russian, Greek, Arabic, or any other language. However, I do identify that there are quite a few Hispanic channels available across the board (arc).

With any ethnicity or language in mind, there are a LOT of FTA channels on just the Ku-Band available, which are FTA. The biggest problem I see is that they are spread out over many different satellites. Therefore, you pick up a couple of channels here and a few there and so on. Having a motorized dish is a definite plus in this regard and if a person were "multi-lingual" you could really enjoy a cornucopia of FTA services! Too bad that I am not well versed in multiple languages.

I guess what I am leading up to is this... Do you think that this lady (your customer or acquaintance or friend) would have a mind to install a motorized dish to serve her fancy?

She could have access to everything FTA in her area, if she had a mind to. I initially thought that I would not like a motorized system as it seemed inconvenient to wait for the motor to reposition the dish in order to surf channels. However, in all honesty, it is really quite quick. Thirty to forty-five seconds or even up to a minute and a half is really not a problem to surf from sat to sat once you become accustomed to it.

A combination of one (or a couple) fixed point dishes for the favorites and a motorized dish for the rest is a really great setup, at least for me.

Maybe your customer could get used to that, too. Good luck and please inform us what you and the customer eventually decide upon. It will be interesting to know what you end up doing.

RADAR

If only she could get C Band where she is located, at SatMex 5 and 6 alone i can receive approx. 120 channels in spanish, most of them pretty good in terms of cultural programming (regional channels with specific programmation about the people and their way of life).

About Cubavisión and their shows being some in spanish with english subs, those are the channels aimed at foreigners in cuba, specially for those who live at hotels, since in Cuba it's prohibited to own satellital antennae and receivers, or at least until a few months ago still was prohibited.

If someone wants to subscribe semi-legally to a Mexican provider, my advise is to go with Dish México (77ºW), it is cheaper and has better channels than Sky, at Sky they have a bunch of garbage and the same channel repeats two or three times, and they count those "mosaics" as channels (dish it's around 15-20 dlls for 36 channels, and sky it's in the 40 dlls with a more channels but most of them irrelevant ones, but have local channels that dish doesn't has = there's a legal battle right now so dish can offer locals too).

*Semi-legally = neither Sky nor Dish México has a licence to sell their services at USA, but there are people/companies that acquires accounts and pays for you in México.

Cheers

M.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)