consider to be traditional web streaming and provides a real viewing
experience on your TV.

According to a recent study by Zogby Survey, 53 percent of Internet
users would replace their cable and satellite television connections
with broadband TV if they could keep the same channel lineup. IPTV
provides viewers value-added services and conveniences such as the
ability to set up their own equipment, to retrieve programs that have
already aired, much like a personal video recorder, and to utilize
Video on Demand – all of which are the key benefits of an IPTV service.

“We believe that our subscribers will truly enjoy the interactive
programming and other benefits resulting from the convergence of
Internet and television,” said Johnson. “IPTV will provide them with
the ability to personalize and maximize their viewing experience.

“We want to assure all of our subscribers and our family of
employees, dealers and programmers that it is our intention to
ultimately deliver a better and more reliable television service and
a more diverse range of Christian and family-friendly programming.
With the loss of a satellite transponder last spring, and as our
satellite continues to age, it has become increasingly evident that
Sky Angel must embrace new, cost-effective technology opportunities
that will enable us to further our vision to deliver the Gospel
around the world. We have been testing the IPTV technology, and we
are very impressed with the quality of picture and delivery. We
believe it will be a major step forward for Sky Angel and for all
those who support the Sky Angel mission,” Johnson said.

The transition to IPTV in the U.S. will occur over the next year, and
more information will be provided about the transition during the
coming months.

Sky Angel was founded by Robert Johnson, Sr. 25 years ago to provide
a Christ-centered and family-friendly alternative to the standard
television fare. Since then, it has grown into a service providing
quality television programming to all corners of the contiguous 48
states. Early this year, Sky Angel also began providing programming
in Canada through a Toronto-based IPTV service partner.

# # #

So, I guess we all now know how the definition of "life long" as it applies to my subscription to the "Sky Angel DBS Service".

It would be nice, but totally unexpected, if my subcription is transitioned to the new platform and remains prepaid/free.

What about the (I expect large) portion of their subscriber base that is people located in areas not served by broadband?

I have mixed feelings about this announcement. While I think it is great to always explore new technologies, I get the feeling that they may discontinue being a satellite TV provider once their contract with Dish Network ends or the satellite quits working altogether.

I wish Sky Angel would go ahead and let Dish start carrying more Christian channels. I like having everything come thru one receiver. I know this probably will not happen until their contact ends.

So I guess for those of us who prefer satellite let's hope more Christian networks make the move to where their signal can be received by the new Glorystar system.

Well I just got the following. Nothing that says not to disclose to the public so here goes. Note the especially interesting second sentence of the italicized "additional disclaimer" below the bold stuff.

[Sky Angel logo]

Dear XXXXXXX,

We are pleased to announce that Dominion Video Satellite, Inc. is planning dramatic improvements to the way we deliver Sky Angel, our Christian and family-friendly television service, to our subscribers.

Over the next year, we will be transitioning Sky Angel to a broadband Internet protocol, commonly known as IPTV, with programming still delivered to the TV. It will be received by the viewer through a broadband Internet connection and small set-top box. The IPTV technology does not require an outside dish or antenna, professionally installed equipment or a computer.

In addition to a multitude of new value-added services and conveniences, IPTV will provide our subscribers with the ability to maximize their viewing experience. IPTV enables programs to be viewed not only on conventional televisions, but also on personal computers and handheld instruments, which will provide viewers the benefit of receiving programs at home and on the go. Other key benefits of IPTV include an ability to install the equipment simply and easily, to retrieve programs that have already aired, much like a personal video recorder, and to utilize Video on Demand. We have been testing the IPTV technology and are very impressed with the quality of the picture and delivery. We think you will be too.

This transition will put Sky Angel on the leading edge of technology that will allow us to deliver our unique programming service to an increased number of individuals and families throughout the United States and around the globe. We believe our subscribers will truly enjoy the interactive programming and other benefits resulting from the convergence of Internet and television. We also believe that these enhancements will provide additional opportunities to you - our partner. This technology can open new markets in the area of apartment complexes, line-of-sight cases and consumers that have been reluctant to adopt the DBS equipment. With the transition to IPTV, we will work to provide you the tools to offer your customers Sky Angel programming on that platform. Please note that, as we make this transition, there will be some changes in our existing DBS retailer/dealer program.

As of June 15, the following are important changes that require your immediate attention. Please make sure to take note of these changes as they can and will affect both you and your customers.

Annual packages are no longer available
• Sky Angel Only (without Dish Network package) will no longer allow for equipment subsidies. Consequently, customer will need to pay full retail for equipment (currently $350-400 for one-room system)
• Promotional offers (2-Free Months) will no longer be available

The only packages that we will be able to accept on the DBS platform are for Sky Angel monthly subscriptions at $14.99 per month. For all future subscriptions, the following disclaimer must be read in addition to any current disclaimers:

Programming, channels, number of channels, subscription prices, and special offers all subject to change without notice. DBS receiving equipment purchases are at your own risk as Sky Angel has requested permission from the FCC to transfer ownership of its satellite frequencies to DISH Network and if approved will discontinue providing DBS service shortly after FCC approval.

We believe this will be a major step forward for Sky Angel in keeping with our mission established by our founder, Robert Johnson, Sr., more than 25 years ago when he founded this company and ministry: to deliver the Gospel around the world and to provide a Christ-centered and family-friendly alternative to standard television fare.

We will be in touch with you throughout this process. Our hopes are to have IPTV up and running in approximately 90 days. Once we formally launch that service, we will once again offer a full retailer/dealer program. We truly believe that this will present new opportunities for your business and want to partner with you to get that accomplished. Stay tuned for more!

We appreciate the work that you to do to support our mission and look forward to a long and prosperous working relationship. Once again, we will continue to provide you with more information about the transition during the coming weeks and months.
If you have any questions, you can log on to www.skyangel.com/sales, or contact the sales department at (239) 403-9130 x390 or x391.

Paul Cestari
Vice President Sales
Attachment: Sky Angel Press Release

[Sky Angel logo]
Dominion Video Satellite, Inc.
3050 Horseshoe Dr. North, Suite 290
Naples, FL 34104
Sky Angel Sales Department

Last edited:
Wow I find this line the biggest...

Programming, channels, number of channels, subscription prices, and special offers all subject to change without notice. DBS receiving equipment purchases are at your own risk as Sky Angel has requested permission from the FCC to transfer ownership of its satellite frequencies to DISH Network and if approved will discontinue providing DBS service shortly after FCC approval.

I agree Scott. That is a monster statement, basically saying Dish is buying all of SA's frequencies and SA is getting out of the satellite business.

I knew something was up when I posted about the May Viewers Advisory Board Survey here.

I ask for your prayers as we continue to move forward with the vision the Lord gave my father, Robert Johnson, Sr., for this project a little more than 25 years ago. Sky Angel’s mission is to build and operate a global direct broadcast satellite system, using our own satellites, as the most effective means of assuring that the Gospel will penetrate every nation culture and people—even the most unreachable regions of the world. To build and launch our own satellite will cost in the neighborhood of $150 million to achieve. It’s an awesome mission in both magnitude and cost, however, one that our studies have shown is attainable with the dedication of our staff and the growing support of Christians here in America subscribing to the Sky Angel service. We have been in negotiations with a satellite manufacturer for some time and have begun an effort to identify sources that will be helpful in raising the necessary funds. Sometimes the challenge seems almost beyond comprehension, but I’m constantly reminded that with God’s help everything is possible and that God’s will always prevails. As we grow, it is my prayer that additional resources will become available that will enable Sky Angel to support various other works of ministry around the world with one common purpose: to share the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
The above from a June 7, 2006 letter.

I guess a lot has happened since Johnson, Sr. passed away. The secular channel issue is apparently but the tip of the iceberg. I wonder why Johnson, Jr. considers this a dramatic improvement, it would seem more a disappointment to all concerned as it is a bit unlikely that broadband internet will be available or affordable in the most unreachable regions of the world. In fact, at a cost of around $50 per month I probably will not have it. They may have to consider a new name as Sky Angel will no longer seem appropriate.

Pepper,

Just curious, did you receive this via postal mail or email? I have not received anything as a longtime, lifetime subscriber. But then, I hear about letters and announcements here long before they show up in my mailbox!

Red

That is a monster statement, basically saying Dish is buying all of SA's frequencies and SA is getting out of the satellite business.
No kidding! I wonder if Dish will choose to continue to carry some of the SkyAngel channels, or create a programming package with some of the existing SA channels.

I enjoy TVU, Spirit, Worship, HisKids Radio, Angel Two and one or two others on occasion. It is doubtful I would want to continue my relationship with SA with the IPTV delivery model unless they did something astonishing for the early adopters (aka lifetime subscribers) like myself. I have been following the Glorystar situation closely and have only held off due to finances, my existing service with SA, and my addiction to DVR. I can't imagine going down the G* road without DVR capability and the current G* DVR offering is not compelling.

As it stands, I will probably be moving towards G*. Until then, I would consider an E* religious package if it was reasonably priced and had channels I am interested in.

Red

just renewed my annual sub on june 1st ......................................

will i get a refund? i am not interested in iptv service
oh well cant say i didnt see this happening
it was fun while it lasted..........
i guess sky angel took the whole argument out of that lifetime sub
secular channel thing:)
do you think that whole lifetime argument quickened sky angels decision
to go iptv??

one other question....
do you think dish network will put together some type of christian package??

What will happen when their echostar contract is up? Will they go under? renew? Where will they get the cash to launch their own? if they do, will all subscribes need new equipment?

I guess with today's announcement (http://www.satelliteguys.us/921332-post4.html) we can see that all of the discussion about secular channels and the fairness of removing them - is over.

They needed our support far more then our wrath. What has this gained us?
Bob

more confused than before

I don't see how them switching "ends " anything. It actually adds more potential problems. Am I understanding this correctly that not only am I losing 4 channels, getting less than 32 as per my LA but now will be required to purchase all new equipment besides? Or is this only an "option" Then what, someone said we will get more channels BUT at what cost? will they find a way to charge us lifetimers yet again? I don't see a light at the end of this tunnel.

IMO, Lifetime subs are gone. No satellite = no lifetime subscriptions. IPTV will probably make the cash flow work for SA. With a failing satellite causing a limit on the number of channels they could offer, they couldn't attract more paying subscriptions. Sometimes called the death spiral of a business.
Bob

Last edited:
Interesting. I find I am listening mostly to the radio channels now and my wife is watching either Fox News or HGTV, so the switch to IPTV may mean a parting of ways. I am not sure if lifetime subs will go over anyway.

I can get most/all the radio channels on the Internet already.

Interesting.

I wish HGTV was part of DishFamily....

Brad

I don't see how them switching "ends " anything.
huh? They are going to stop satellite transmissions...that pretty much ends it in my book
It actually adds more potential problems.
not really. It actually allows them to add more channels as they are not bogged down by transponder limits

Am I understanding this correctly that not only am I losing 4 channels, getting less than 32 as per my LA but now will be required to purchase all new equipment besides?
yep. Pretty much. Your lifetime sub would end when they cease satellite transmission which according to the letter that was posted in the other thread might be qucik
Programming, channels, number of channels, subscription prices, and special offers all subject to change without notice. DBS receiving equipment purchases are at your own risk as Sky Angel has requested permission from the FCC to transfer ownership of its satellite frequencies to DISH Network and if approved will discontinue providing DBS service shortly after FCC approval
Or is this only an "option"
There is alwayts Glorystar :)
Then what, someone said we will get more channels BUT at what cost?
unknown yet since they don't have the product :)
will they find a way to charge us lifetimers yet again?
probably since technically the lifetim sub agreement would end as they won't be broadcasting via satellite
I don't see a light at the end of this tunnel.
trains coming...better get off the tracks :D

With a failing satellite causing a limit on the number of channels they could offer, they couldn't attract more paying subscriptions. Sometimes called the death spiral of a business.
Bob

and the fact they signed a bad agreement with Dish (IMHO) to get going. They should have said they wanted 3 TP's...that would allow them to grow and in case something happened, they had a backup plan.

death to lifetime?

but if our subs were with SA, shouldn't they have to continue to provide subscriptions either way? then again, look how they have honored their agreements so far......guess I answered my own question.

In all honesty between the programming issues, lack of honesty regarding the lifetime members and the cost I will not continue viewing SA if its going to cost me more $. If I am going to need to save $ to buy a new system anyway, I will go with Glorystar.

I know some feel they have gotten great value from SA with the lifetime, even if it ends. I myself feel like I got burned and taken by SA. Its bad enough to get ripped off by a retail giant but when the company calls itself Christian it leaves a really bad taste!

this reminds me of a couple of what I call "legal scams" by retailers in the past, this end up furniture and phantom vacs. both went "out of business" and then came back in business, same product BUT did not have to honor warranty on preexisting products :( the companies find the loopholes and its the consumer that gets taken for a ride !

SA was a ministry who is now trying to turn itself into a business. I wish someone could find a tape of the founder talking about his vision, or even better the lifetime members and post it on youtube or even better godtube. boy have things changed and not for the better!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts