skyangel with local channels

johnmc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
new poster

do not have either as of yet. do have a 301 reciever and some sort of large oval 501? dish that looks like it can handle 2 items in it. anyway i would like to activate it with dish local channels and skyangel. which do I do first? I do believe i need to get a new card for the system since it is old (heard that they updated to a new color). do not want the so called dish police calling me either since I do not have a land phone line.

Welcome johnmc!

Where are you located? That is so we know which satellite your locals are on. More than likely you will have to have 2 dishes to get locals and Sky Angel.

They will send you a new card if your current one is out of date.

The Dish police (Audit Team) mainly bother people with multiple receivers with no phone connected.

Well, let me take the mystery out of it, JohnMC. You will require a second dish for locals no matter where you live. 61.5 (the location where Sky Angel is) does not have the main local channels from any TV market. If you do not want to tell us where you are, take a look at http://ekb.dbstalk.com/19. It's a big page so give it some time to load.

The reason why the dish you have wont work to get both SA and Locals is because it is designed to get two satellites 9 degrees apart. As I mentioned earlier, Sky Angel is on 61.5. Local channels are at 105*, 110, 119, 121* and 148 Depending on the city. 61.5 has a few local channels but all are "minor" locals from big markets. For example NYC has the main network channels at 119 and the independents on 61.5

See ya
Tony

*Require a 30" dish or "superdish

FWIW, though, this will apparently be cheaper than Dish's own Family Package with Locals, even though it will require two dishes. All channels are still combined into one guide.

I live in the dallas area. so it would be more advantagous to put the big oval dish on the local channels if for some reason I want to add more at a later time and have the second dish to skyangel. so with my other question which is easier to start up first skyangel then add dish or dish then add skyangel?

what is dishes family package, do not see it on thier website

it is something they are going to have...its like 20 bucks for 20 chanenls but not available yet (and we dont know which channels are in it yet either)

The question is if it will contain a lot of the same channels that SkyAngel has in their package. If so then many may choose SkyAngel instead. If you order the SkyAngel package does that mean that Dish Network is not going to charge the $5 access fee? The locals would be $6 instead of $5 though if you ordered the SkyAngel package.

One thing to keep in mind, If you sign up for Sky Angel first, you are forever ineligible for any of the Dish Network new customer deals. Even though Sky Angel is separate from Dish, when you get Sky Angel, Dish considers you a customer. If you want to take advantage of some of the low cost new equipment deals, start with Dish. Minimum programming is also required with many of these deals.

See ya
Tony

If you live in dallas look into a over the air digital for your locals and save the monthly fee. I live outside kc and can pick up multiple feeds of the kansas city area stations.
and they are crystal clear!

I basicly live 1 stone throw from the stone age and do not have an hdtv tv. no plans to upgrade to any kind of converter box or buy an hdtv system. if it came down to purchasing a new tv or going without I would go without.

When I used to have the Dish 180 package as well as SkyAngel, I also added locals. It took some time, but I was finally able to get ALL the Dallas locals, though it required 3 dishes: a Dish 500, one aimed at 61.5 and one aimed at 148. I don't know if they have moved all the Dallas locals to a single dish.

We are now down to SkyAngel only (though Dish still gets about $20 per month from me for the DVR and second receiver fees plus tax) to save money for a while. I suspect I will go back up to a regular package later, though we don't miss a lot since HGTV was added to SkyAngel.

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts