Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
got the new catalog for Skyvision and saw they are now selling the DSR-410 again to be set up on W5...they also sell a 6 foot dish if you need it too :)

found it on the website
DSR-410 Digital Programming

they say it has a EPG too....but what about folks with one on X4...will they remap it?

I've been checking into this for a client of mine. Last week all the bugs were worked out with mapping c band into the 410, so there good to go. I was talking with my client yesterday and it looks like I will be putting a system together for W5 in the next month. Im going a slightly different route then buying the whole Skyvision package. Im going to get a Fortec Star 6 foot dish with polar mount (the Skyvision one is AZ-EL) and a Geosat single C band LNBF. I want the polar mount since in the future the guy may upgrade to a 922 then we will need an actuator. Im going the whole concrete/ pole install. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Plus I will be adding another subscriber to C band taken away from the almighty cable. :)

Last edited:
got the new catalog for Skyvision and saw they are now selling the DSR-410 again to be set up on W5...they also sell a 6 foot dish if you need it too :)

found it on the website
DSR-410 Digital Programming

they say it has a EPG too....but what about folks with one on X4...will they remap it?

I'd rather just get the DISHHD only pak from E*. :eek: What Skyvision really needs to do is offer a receiver that is capable of getting all the HD master feeds on cband. At that time they "WILL" have a better alternative to little dish programming but as of right now with the receiver being a antique dsr 410. They might as well "give it up".

I'd rather just get the DISHHD only pak from E*. :eek: What Skyvision really needs to do is offer a receiver that is capable of getting all the HD master feeds on cband. At that time they "WILL" have a better alternative to little dish programming but as of right now with the receiver being a antique dsr 410. They might as well "give it up".

Some of the C band SD Masters can give the HD lite on the pizza guys & cable a run for there money. :D

What is needed is to get one of the new Starchoice boxes to be used on C band. Then if the programers allow us to subscribe we would have the best out there as in the past. Unless someone with deep pockets get's involved and all the cards fall into place it won't happen though. :(

Some of the C band SD Masters can give the HD lite on the pizza guys & cable a run for there money. :D

What is needed is to get one of the new Starchoice boxes to be used on C band. Then if the programers allow us to subscribe we would have the best out there as in the past. Unless someone with deep pockets get's involved and all the cards fall into place it won't happen though. :(

I was checking out lyngsat tonight and couldn't help to notice all the HD that's up their on c band now. There's a boatload now. Checkout all the HBO's and MAX on g15 and g14.

HD - Galaxy 14 at 125.0°W - LyngSat

HD - Galaxy 15 at 133.0°W - LyngSat

It would be nice if somebody could get us a receiver.

I was checking out lyngsat tonight and couldn't help to notice all the HD that's up their on c band now. There's a boatload now. Checkout all the HBO's and MAX on g15 and g14.

HD - Galaxy 14 at 125.0°W - LyngSat

HD - Galaxy 15 at 133.0°W - LyngSat

It would be nice if somebody could get us a receiver.

I was listening to Mike Kohl on his weekly spot on Life, The Universe, and Everything - The Radio Show
yesterday and he was saying that Motorola would need to license DC II to some manufacturer and they would need reason (big subscriber numbers) to do anything.

Well,
It's kinda like what came first "the chicken or the egg".
How do you gain subscribers or keep from losing subscribers for that matter without offering a way to get the programming in the first place. Its so frustrating that i've had to turn to DishHD to get HDlite. And all along i know the quality on cband is so much better. Have you ever caught the master HDNET feed ITC on cband with a DVB receiver? It's what HD was meant to be, not by what E* or D* thinks it should be, but what the actual content provider(HDNET) thinks it should be. 1080I at its best. :D

Nobody ever advertises that C-band still works.
Most of the general public think the big dishes are "history".
If someone offered a cheap attractive package with master broadcast signals all these people with big plasma and HD tv's would flip when they seen the quality of the master broadcast signals . Even the standard def stuff looks as good or better than some of that low bandwidth super compresso HD stuff the cable companies and pizza pan companies send out.

Imagine people who didin't lose their tv reception every time a tall rain cloud passed over.
I bet they would be happier. Not to mention a bunch of us would be busy installing.

Here's what Skyvision told me...C/P

The W5 satellite at 105 degrees West is up and running. The
frequency is the same so you can change it over anytime before June
1st.
Same procedure of downloading for 45 minutes on W5 channel 204 and same
provider ID of 4160. Frequency is the same at 1170.000, symbol rate of
19.51 and coding of 3/4. A CBand dish that is 6 ft or bigger will work.
Have a great afternoon!

3/4 FEC is very forgiving of adjacent satellite interference on the large beamwidth of a 6 footer.
A 7/8 FEC would be a much different story.

I have a couple of questions. This may save me from buying the 4DTV. The Encore movies would be the perfect complement to the OTA and the Sky Angel IPTV

1. The satellite W5 - Is this also known as AMC18? I went to Lyngsat and saw the programming called "Hits". Is this what the DSR-410 system picks up?

2. Before I call Skyvision, does anybody know if this will work:

Currently I am using my Uniden Supra receiver, basically to watch whatever is on what was / is called G5 (TBS, CNN, Headline, TNT). Is there a way to use both receivers hooked to the same dish? Not to watch at the same time. I would imagine the answer is no because of the polarity that the Uniden would control.

3. Is the standard feedorn with the servo motor to change polarity going to work with the DSR-410?

4. Has this been discussed before? If it has please give me the link to read it.

Amc 18 (w5 in the 4DTV world).
Hits is what the dsr-410 receives. Or potentially any digicipher II normal mode signal if it is mapped and programmed to do so.

Your analog uniden won't get very much anymore since most analog channels have converted to digital since it is more economical to buy "bandwidth" instead of renting a whole transponder.

The 410 I think is designed to switch polarity on an lnbf (13v Vertical / 18v Horizontal).
I don't think the 410 can control a servo motor on a feedhorn. The dsr-905 is the cousin to the 410 and has servo control connections. If you have a servo controlled feedhorn, you may want to change it out with an lnbf. They are pretty cheap to buy.
Good luck.

The 410 is mapped to only do the channels on W5. It can only do 19510 SR, 3/4 FEC which means it will not do all the 4dtv signals that a 905 or 922 will do (Im leaving the 920 out because it is also limited). So you are limited to the W5 channels only. If all you want are the HITS channels, go for it. If you want to see all the 4D channels get a 922 or 905.

The 410 will only work with an LNBF if you want it to control polarity. Although you can use a high block splitter with a dc blocked output going to the 410 and allow your analog receiver to change the polarity. This way you won't have to change your feedhorn/LNB.

This may save me from buying the 4DTV. The Encore movies would be the perfect complement to the OTA and the Sky Angel IPTV

Honestly getting the 4dtv would be a better buy to me anyways... You will get a few free channels and slaving a dvb receiver to it is a snap, the Skyvision deal is pretty good for a 922, especially if you want programming or feed upgrades.

You know I like to 'tinker' with things, I'd love to see if I can get an old Star Choice DSR 305 box to do something with this satellite, minus the h/v switching, but I bet it'd be fun to mess around with.

I think it is hard to remap the channels into a star choice receiver yourself. I always wondered if their was a way to do it. Using a BDM cable to your pc and use 4play to see if you could load your own transponder, satellite, channel tables. Just simply showing the receiver what is there.

You would not be breaking any laws since you are not tampering with any of the conditional access parts of the receiver. Just the channel maps.

It would be great since ebay is flooded with star choice receivers for cheap.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts