Skyvision DSR410 x4package deals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
GI DSR-410 DNA Receivers

Are GI DSR-410 DNA receivers digicipher II?

Can they be used to view in the clear digicipher II signals?

Can they be used to subscribe to HITS X4 programming?

I discovered that the DSR-410 DNR receiver was used by StarChoice and is like the DSR-410 DS receiver except that it looks more like a 4DTV receiver.

However, I still would like to know if you can use it to subscribe to X4 programming?

I've got one here, and after spending a few days tinkering with it, I threw in the towel and gave up on it. I couldn't get it to tune into the "free" channels other than the ones from Starchoice.

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I read the same in another forum about these receivers. I have a DSR-410 DS receiver and had the same results. The DSR-410 DNR receivers are now available on EBay for around $25 including shipping and I was thinking about getting one. However, I think after hearing this I will put the $25 towards a DSR-920 or DSR-922 instead.

My friends at Skyvision tell me that they have just made an exclusive programming deal to allow viewing of Digicipher 2 HITS signals from X4
(Galaxy 4R, Ku-band at 99 West), using the DSR-410 series of receivers.
You can purchase a group of programming that is not otherwise available
from other 4DTV vendors. This might be just the thing to consider for U.S. programming formerly available by subscription on C-band, without having to sign a deal with one of the small dish providers.

Details are in their new catalog, which is in the mail starting this week,
and includes an offer that includes the receiver itself, or a receiver with
the option of a Ku-band LNBF and offset Ku-band antenna. Those that
purchase the receiver or the entire system through their channels are
eligible to purchase these new packages at the prices posted on their website.

Assuming that you have your own working DSR-410, and can re-map it
on X4, you can do the same, but a charge around $40 will apply due to the many things that have to be done to "release" a receiver from somebody else's inventory. Phone calls have to be made for each receiver to clear them for permission to do this---and if you have money owing on an account from a previous provider that can be tied to that box's serial number (Star Choice and others), you won't be able to use your "bargain" receiver. Some people never learn that E-Bay deals often have a hidden cost, and in this case you could be buying something that will not be able to be used for the intended purpose. If you take the safe path and purchase a pre-owned, pre-test receiver, there is no admin charge, and should be no issues such as these to surprise you.

Thanks Mike that is a very interesting development! I wonder what the picture quality is like on x4, never having owned a 4dtv ........

Another thread in the fta section informs us that Skyvision has come up with a deal for selling Digicipher programming packages using a Motorola DSR410 recevier (used at one time in CA) According to their website, equipment starts at 129bucks+programming. Monthly quarterly or annual subs.
My question: Since a lot, if not all, of their programming listed in this deal seems to come from satellite X4ku=what is the picture quality like? Any of you with 4DTV prob know already....is it worse than dishnetworks SD stuff?
I've read in other places that it was not that watchable. On a SD tv, not a projection tv or huge screen, if it is comparable to DN I might be tempted to
shell out for one of these things. I hate buying a pig in a poke though, and I've never had or even seen a 4DTV in operation, so I have no clue what the quality is like on X4.
Thanks!!!!!!!

Another thread in the fta section informs us that Skyvision has come up with a deal for selling Digicipher programming packages using a Motorola DSR410 recevier (used at one time in CA) According to their website, equipment starts at 129bucks+programming. Monthly quarterly or annual subs.
My question: Since a lot, if not all, of their programming listed in this deal seems to come from satellite X4ku=what is the picture quality like? Any of you with 4DTV prob know already....is it worse than dishnetworks SD stuff?
I've read in other places that it was not that watchable. On a SD tv, not a projection tv or huge screen, if it is comparable to DN I might be tempted to
shell out for one of these things. I hate buying a pig in a poke though, and I've never had or even seen a 4DTV in operation, so I have no clue what the quality is like on X4.
Thanks!!!!!!!

Im watching X4 right now (640 Sleuth) on a 32" SD tv. I watch X4 quite alot. Now my take on PQ, It's not bad at all IMHO, it depends on the source there using though, they all look better then the NPS reuplink's.

What I mean about the source is, if the master is excellent like Sleuth's G1 master, the PQ really shines. Now take the MTV mux on C3. When I had the masters last year there was some mosquito noise and macroblocking noticeable on the master. This will show up of course. My over all opinion is, better than dish and NPS, not as good as an HBO master. A bit softer than the master. Im very finicky about PQ and I give it a pass. All in all not a bad choice. :)

A bit more testing I've done. I compared Tv Land from NPS with the X4 Hits version. Hits wins. Dish Network SD vs Hits's, Hits wins again. Even though there using a 19510 SR 3/4 FEC on HITS there not totally cramming the bandwidth, like Dish and NPS does. Actually 19510 3/4 can look really good. I saw the ABC Family / Disney masters not too long ago they were the best 19510 3/4, I ever saw. Everyone thinks Mpeg 4 is going to be the savior with PQ this will only come true if the programmers decide not to cram the bandwidth, which you know they will do. Just look at 1080 HD vs HD lite on Dish & Direct it's already starting. Nothing is like the old days of analog backhaul, now that was excellent video!

Looks like Skyvision is trying to beat NPS to the punch with there IPTV game plan. The plus side of using HITS is the more people that use these channels the longer the 4DTV will stay alive. It may even lead to some new channels for us that HITS already has or may be uplinking soon. :cool:

Last edited:
This is interesting. When I called SRL Programming Center to inquire about getting the KU Digipack
about 6 weeks ago, I was told they were working on something similar to this and asked me if I would be willing to test for them with my 920. I had all of X4 free for about a week and reported back to them that picture quality was good and signal quality was strong using DS2076 dish.
They told me they would have a receiver dedicated to this programming shortly.

Thanks guys! Just the kind of input I wanted. That really sounds interesting.
I just have to check the best I can to learn how many of those channels SKyvision is promoting is actually on that satellite, and won't require c-band hookup also. I still have, and use my big dish, but I would like this new system
in other parts of the house. (where people think c-band is complicated lol)
The best thing I've seen, no mention of a contract, minimum purchase, phone line must be connected or we charge you extra, etc. I've dreamed of a real alternative to the 'monopoly' tv providers. Maybe this will start a new surge in the satellite tv industry.

output format ?

I took a look at the deal, and while trying to decide if I was interested for myself or for others...
I asked, "what sort of video outputs does it have?"

And this is the Motorola web page Google found for me:
Motorola - Connected Home Solutions - Product Catalog
Looks like two sets of composite and stereo audio, plus optical audio.

No S-video?
No component?

... no thanks ... :(

Neither my 920 nor my 922 have Component outputs, both have S-Video outputs. My HDD200 has a Component output.
If the 410 has a MMAP Only (Data) port, it could be used for hooking an HDD200 for Component, I guess?
I see a Data port in Anole's link. I can only assume it will work as the ones on the 920 and 922 do, as a High Speed Data Transfer to the HDD200 Decoder? Only a guess?

Al

Are you sure about that Chuck? I have 2 GI 920's (battery dead in one) and they both have a Composite hook-up with an S-Video, but no Component hook-up. And no Digital Audio either. My GI 922 doesn't have Component either, but it has 2 @ Composite hook-ups with one S-Video and a Digital Audio. I would think they were all made the same?

Al

From what I know the 922 is the only receiver that's S video out works on analog and digital. They use a Sony comb fiilter to convert the analog satellite signal to S, since analog sat signals are only composite. The 920 has S video on digital only. You need to use composite for analog. The 905 has composite only. None of those have componant. I think the 410 is sort of a 905 clone.

I wouldn't worry about the real difference between them all. X4's (G-16) HITS signals aren't going to really benefit that much from one over the other. I use S out on my 922 and on a more compressed signal composite video out tend's to mask some of the digital artifacts over S. So componant wouldn't gain much over S in this situation and may show more artifacts.

Separating the Y and C may make the colors richer but the pure Y (Luminance) will show more artifacts. I have tested both and seems the composite out will favor signals with more macroblocking and mosquito noise. Even though the HITS feeds aren't real bad they have some digital artifacts on most channels. It's the nature of the beast.:)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)