Skyvision programming

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATire

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Twin Cities
Ok, Jaray just got my interest by mentioning 'Skyvision DSR410 HITS programming', Gotta have some consistent programming' in some PM's we were sharing.

I found this on the net.
Skyvision Satellite Equipment

I'm very eager to find alternatives to my current DTV, not only to lower the $100/Month bill but to have options.

The channels I am having a very hard time losing by getting rid of DTV are Comedy central, BBC, DOC, HIST, DSC, TLC, APL, NIKToons I think it's called.

The rest I could care less about, all of it can be found elsewhere. Of course, this is why they package as they do, because you're always forced to upgrade to get most of the above. There's no value in changing to Dish or Cable, it's all the same, they upgrade you to get these.

One other thing that got to me was that we had been customers with DTV for 7 years when they offered me a dish/receiver upgrade. I didn't want their receiver but I got them to lower the deal from $299.00 to $99.00 without a 2 year commitment. They gave me the deal, got everything done then told me I was locked into a 2 year deal.
I was furious and argued for 15 or more months about it. I refused to pay the buyout and figured I was better off to keep paying it. After most of the contract was fulfilled, they realized their mistake and said oops, sorry, you're free to go any time you want. Now I warn everyone I can to watch out for those 'special' offers that lock you in. Plus, their DTV PVR has been the PITS compared to my Tivo units.

Anyhow, what is Skyvision? Can I use my FTA gear, get my FTA channels at the same time? Get an actual Tivo PVR maybe?

Mike

Reading their site, looks like I would need a 6' dish?

One problem is that don't want a bunch of dishes in the front of the house but the rear property slopes downward. That gives me roof option or perhaps a pole setup of some sort.

Another problem, we recently became resellers of Hughes and Starband so we could take care of some organizations that we work with and were sent a test system. That means I would have to find a way to install both of these.
I can't put any more on my roof and if I got into a 6' dish, I sure would want to have it motored so I could take additional advantage of C-band stuff up there.

What a mess of problems haha.

Last edited:
Skyvision is actually a company here in Minnesota (Fergus Falls to be exact). They cater to the C-Band/KU Band person

You would need a 6 foot dish to be able to subscribe to the W5 programming (W5 is the satellite the programming is on...105W). You would need a different reciever to be able to subscribe to the programing. The FTA receivers cannot pick up the programming
tvropro set up a buddy of his on the W5 setup over a year ago with the 6 foot dish
http://www.satelliteguys.us/4dtv-discussion/169000-w5-fixed-system.html

I like the W5 programming. You can find all the channels avail on they're site.
A 6' dish pulls in more than enough signal, but I don't think you would really want to go any smaller.
I guess MY only issue right now is having 2 different receivers for different programming on the same wire and dish and the extra steps to watch one or the other. But its not a big hurdle and its part of the hobby. If you absolutely can't fit a 6' dish, then I think you may be close to running out of options for C-Band but there's plenty out there to feed your interests using the KU for sure.

I would be hesitant about doing a substantial investment on 4DTV at this moment. Motorola just recently announced they would end support for 4DTV receivers by December 31st, 2010. Nobody knows for sure what will happen after that date.

While the dsr410 W5 stuff I guess is considered 4DTV, its not quite the same system. The future of the HITS programming/410 is not completely known but it is said that it is not going away as the 4DTV is.
The receivers are pretty cheap and its not very much to get going if you get your hands on a dish.

I'll reply in one shot so as not to have to send so many multiples.

Iceberg;
>You would need a 6 foot dish to be able to subscribe to the W5 programming
>You would need a different reciever to be able to subscribe to the programing.
>The FTA receivers cannot pick up the programming

Kind of a great excuse to get into the 6' dishes perhaps. My installer never got around to taking a look around my property to see if a 6' could go anywhere that would see what it needs to see. At the time, I was interested in it so that I could go c-band right off the bat. Now I'm interested because I could get proper packages but also FTA, even if it does take two receivers.

It is not clear if they offer a receiver which does both.

I need to get someone to come peek at my yard, someone who's done enough creative installs to find a solution. I can't have it in front of the house, or on the house.
I wondered if there was a chance at doing a combined Starband/C-band setup but if I get rid of DTV, I'll have a free pole so would only need to worry about the 6'.
There is a chance I could put it on a pole, secured to the house but my concern is being able to get up there when something needs changing.

Jaray;
>But its not a big hurdle and its part of the hobby.

Yup, I agree and part of the hobby is of course to see if there's some way of changing that eventually.

>If you absolutely can't fit a 6' dish, then I think you may be close to running out of
>options for C-Band but there's plenty out there to feed your interests using the KU for sure.

This is something I wasn't, am, not really clear on yet. I understand that I need at least a 6' dish to get into c-band FTA but I am almost under the impression that for one of these packages, one could use a smaller dish since it's pointing at only one satellite.

Vandre;
>I would be hesitant about doing a substantial investment on 4DTV at
>this moment. Motorola just recently announced they would end

I have also read about this but am not clear on if this means they are pulling receiver, thus, guide data only or if that affects the packages being offered by such a company as Skyvision. I believe that it only means guide data and other such features which truly allow for a 'packaged' solution, right?

---

Ok, so, as things stand...

-Must have a 6' dish. Need to confirm if one can use smaller dish if it will be fixed to one satellite only.
-Dish must be motorized if I want FTA in addition to packaged offerings.
-Must use separate receiver for packaged and for FTA unless provider offers a combined unit.
-The packages aren't going away, those will continue to be offered.
-Guide data and other functions which really made it a package are going away. Perhaps a new solution will come along at some point?

Problems or not, if I can dump DTV/Dish/Cable, I'm very interested.

W5 sat.

HI Got a letter from NPS stating that after Dec. 31,2010 C-Ban programing will no longer exist..
Thay offered me a great ripoff package on dish.. No way,,,
tv will go first....
Do that mean same for W5..
Will call skyvision Thursday & find out..
I have a fortecstar receiver connected through spliter on 8ft.. dish & get Candia stations,would get more tree blockage..
With 922 motorola ,,would hate to give that thing up..
Had big dish cents 1985....
Thanks much
Great info. site
Dietzy

HI Got a letter from NPS stating that after Dec. 31,2010 C-Ban programing will no longer exist..
Thay offered me a great ripoff package on dish.. No way,,,
tv will go first....
Do that mean same for W5..
Welcome :wave
no W5 is not going away. Go through the threads it he 4DTV area...here are some of note

http://www.satelliteguys.us/4dtv-discussion/201810-dont-believe-nps-about-c-band.html
http://www.satelliteguys.us/4dtv-discussion/221283-yes-4dtv-w5-almost-certain.html
http://www.satelliteguys.us/4dtv-discussion/224340-future-truth-4dtv-410-a.html

W5 on a 5 foot dish....

Weather permitting this weekend, I will be able to give a signal report for W5 on a 5ft solid. Affectionately known around my house as "Baby-C", this dish is finally up, and I just need to get it aimed, and my DSR-410 connected to it. This may be an alternative to a larger reflector, since W5 puts out a pretty strong signal. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)