Status
Please reply by conversation.

phlatwound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
Goosapeak Junction
I finally got a chance a couple days ago to install the SL1PLL LNBF and give it a try.

This setup is a 90cm 3ABN/SG2100/Openbox S9. The LNBF I have on it is the "generic" LNBF that came with the 3ABN dish when they had their $50 deal (dish/LNBF/shipped) a few years back.

I did a blindscan on 83W with the generic, here are the results, Signal first, then Quality:

11735 H 4439 90... 63-67%
11840 H 26667 88... 71-72%
12100 V 29999 44-88... 10-75%
12181 V 33000 44-89... 10-46%

Results for the SL1PLL:

11735 H 4444 90... 44-53%
11839 H 2667 88... 70-71%
12100 V 29999 44-89... 10-72%
12180 V 33000 44-89... 10-32%

Hyphenated readings indicate bouncing percentages. Weather was clear, both LNBFs were at zero skew, both were pushed as far back in the clamp as they will go for these readings.

I did attempt to move the SL1PLL closer a couple of times to see if it improved readings, but it didn't change them much at all.

Just a quick test, on one satellite, but I was surprised at the results, figured the SL1 would outperform the generic. Thoughts?

The generic lnb has a higher GAIN, so will generally show higher quality on most stronger signals. Where it might fail though, is that it has a higher signal to noise ratio, and could fail to differentiate channels on a weaker transponder during blind scanning. In other words, it amplifies any possible noise higher, along with the "good" signal.

The PLL lnb however, is better at picking out signals that are very close together, and holding/locking them in longer without amplifying the noise as much.

Generally, I wouldn't recommend using a PLL lnb when you are tuning in/tweaking a new satellite dish install for the first time. It can lock and hold a signal way past when it should, and it makes tweaking problematical.

Last edited:
Thanks. I was wondering if maybe they just displayed different Q numbers just because of their different electronics...kinda like different receivers display different numbers on the same signal quality.

I am going to put it on a different setup (Fortec 90cm/STAB HH90/TrackerII) and see how they compare, then just stick the PLL on one of the 2 setups and see how it does long term.

So many variables can effect the performance of a LNBF on any system or location. You might place the LNBFs on a different dish or test on another day, time or temperature and have widely varying results. You didn't mention if the dish was calibrated and optimized for each LNBF using a specific transponder before each scan.

The key to a PLL LNBF performance is stability. PLLs will not knock your socks off when it comes to signal quality testing on a strong and fat signal with great carrier to noise ratios. PLL performance shines with the reception of narrow bandwidth, SCPC and high FEC signals. You will note that services are viewable with lower quality readings. PLL LNB / LNBFs are typically higher NR of 0.5, which is likely similar to the generic that you are testing. I would expect to see similar readings to any other quality LNBFs when testing on these medium to fat MPEG 2 carriers.

Here are the results from our testing performed with competitor LNBFs using a calibrated meter:

Attachments

• Comparison Competitors 20120720.pdf
    49.6 KB · Views: 150
  • LNBF Testing 97w 20120801.pdf
    56.6 KB · Views: 157
  • LNBF Testing 99w 20120801.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 165
  • LNBF Testing103w 20120801.pdf
    54.8 KB · Views: 144
  • LNBF Testing125w 20120801.pdf
    55.1 KB · Views: 165
Thanks for that info Brian, I now remember seeing that when you posted it earlier.

Yes, definitely no calibration or optimization for my "test", just remove one and install the other and read the numbers.

Looking forward to seeing how the SL1PLL performs in the long haul.

you fluctuate between 10 and 75% ? thats a pretty huge spread.

PLL lnb's will shine on extremely low SR signals, they benefit from LO stability and suffer from LO phase noise.

UDL

you fluctuate between 10 and 75% ? thats a pretty huge spread.

PLL lnb's will shine on extremely low SR signals, they benefit from LO stability and suffer from LO phase noise.

UDL

That is kinda confusing the way I wrote it, to clarify...when the signal Strength was around 44, I was seeing a Quality reading of 10. But when the signal Strength was at 89, the Quality was at about 75. It was jumping back and forth between those 2 conditions every second or so.

I'm not even sure what kind of signal that was, but I don't think there was any video associated with it, at least I couldn't view it.

I recently replaced a GT-LST40c standard lnb with an Avenger PLL321S-2 lnb. On 97w I was able to pick a couple more TPs and some of the weaker TPs that were breaking up are now stable. Also I noted more stable reception during rain storms on the weaker tps. I did not re tweak the dish it was a straight swap.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)