SL3 lnb - Charleston/Huntington WV Market - Will it get locals and all the channels that SL5 lnb get

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
Will an SL3 lnb get all the channels that an SL5 lnb get with an MPEG-4 receiver including the locals? Is 110 just for foreign channels and 119 just for SD locals?

There isn't anything on 110. The foreign channels and local sd channels are on 119. Your hd locals are on 103s t1 and t3.
So the short answer to your question is yes!

There are a few religious and music channels on 119 (as well as the ethnic package)

The foreign channels and local sd channels are on 119.

Not sure what "foreign channels" you mean...but the only foreign ones on 119 are the spanish & some Chinese channels.

All the rest of the international channels are on 95, & require the WorldDirect large oval dish.

So I take it that a lot of the HD content is on 99, SD content is on 101 and HD locals on 103 then?

So I take it that a lot of the HD content is on 99, SD content is on 101 and HD locals on 103 then?

Virtually all national HD content is currently on 99(c), 103(ca) and 103(cb). SD nationals are on 101, but your SD locals are on 119 transponders 25 and 29. And your HD locals are on 103(s) transponders 1 and 3 (Spaceway 1).

According to the latest mapping info. all of your SD locals at 119 have HD versions except WKAS-TV 25 (PBS). So you will lose that channel by switching to a SL-3 LNB.

There isn't anything on 110. ...

Just to note, there's nothing for the U.S. presently available from 110. However there is extensive testing going on right now on D5 there for what appears to be HD channels for DIRECTV Latin America's Puerto Rico and the Caribbean network.

Not sure what "foreign channels" you mean...but the only foreign ones on 119 are the spanish & some Chinese channels.

All the rest of the international channels are on 95, & require the WorldDirect large oval dish.

Should I have been more politically correct and said "non english" channels?

Whats the difference between the 103 ca, cb and s ? I notice that you have c labeled next to 99. I do not have as much experience with Directv Slimline as I do with the Phase III and the Dish Network systems.

s means spotbeam.....
ca & cb are 2 different satellites there

c means conus

when you go into the satellite strength option you'll see the following satellites if set up on a SL3
101 SD programming
99(c)...HD sat with national HD
99(s)...spotbeams sat..mainly will see 0's depending on location
103(ca)..HD sat..national HD
103(cb)..HD sat..national HD
103(s)..spotbeams for HD locals..again you'll mainly see 0's

Good information to know. I've heard of sat c kits that Directv had a while back and wondered what those were all about.

The sat c kits were to pick up the 110 satellite when you only had a two lnb setup. It added an lnb between the two existing ones.

raoul5788 said:
The sat c kits were to pick up the 110 satellite when you only had a two lnb setup. It added an lnb between the two existing ones.

Funny, I seen 1 today and took it from an empty house. All the newbies at work don't believe Directv ever used such a thing. Huge mess of wires going into that switch on the back

Whats the difference between the 103 ca, cb and s ? I notice that you have c labeled next to 99. I do not have as much experience with Directv Slimline as I do with the Phase III and the Dish Network systems.

To expand a bit;

c = CONUS
ca = CONUS Ka A-band (downlink is between 19.7-20.2 GHz)
cb = CONUS Ka B-band (downlink is between 18.3-18.8 GHz)
s = Spotbeam (downlinked from spotbeam transponders in both Ka A and B-Bands)

Therefore:
----------------
99(c) - Are Ka B-band CONUS beam transponders 1-14 on the DIRECTV-11 satellite at 99W.

99(s) - Are Ka A-Band spotbeam transponders 1-6 on Spaceway 2 and Ka B-band spotbeam transponders 15-24 from DIRECTV-11

103(ca) - Are Ka A-band CONUS beam transponders 9-24 from DIRECTV-12

103(cb) = Are Ka B-band CONUS beam transponders 1-14 from DIRECTV-10

103(s) - Are Ka A-band spotbeam transponders 1-6 from Spaceway 1 and Ka B-band spotbeam transponders 15-24 from either DIRECTV-10 or 12

Note: When DIRECTV-14/RB-1 launches (scheduled for early 2014) to 99W look for 99(c) to break into "ca" and "cb" portions as with 103W. As D14 plans to have 16 CONUS transponders on Ka A-band and 8 spotbeam transponders on Ka A-band as well to replace or supplement those on Spaceway 2.

Just to clarify, the c, s, ca, and cb designations are for the 99 and 103 satellites. The c sat kit I was talking about was back when directv had sats only at 101, 119, and eventually 110. They were called A, B, and C, in that order.

Funny, I seen 1 today and took it from an empty house. All the newbies at work don't believe Directv ever used such a thing. Huge mess of wires going into that switch on the back

You mean none of the more maybe observant newbies ever wondered what that large gap was for between the 101 and 119 LNBs on the old 18" x 24" Para Todos (Phase II) dishes? :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)