SL3 SWiM 772 error

2020bugs

Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
MD
Hello all & Merry Christmas, I am in the process of helping my son upgrade his DTV system to SWM capability so he can use whole home DVR. He currently has a single IRD (HR24) 2 cable/BBC to a SL3 (4 port)that works fine and according to my old Acutrac-22 Pro the alignment is dead on (the 101, 99 & 103 sats are all in the 95-99 signal strength range). I recently purchased a SL3 SWM from Amazon (they shipped it in an unprotected bag - but had no apparent external damage) 21V power supply & 8 port SWM splitter.

In the past I have upgraded my personal SL5 system in this manner by simply replacing the LNB with a SL5 SWM/Power Inserter/splitter and it took off and ran once everything in the system went through a power off/on cycle and the HR24 & H24s in my system auto recognized the SWM LNB. No realignment of the dish was necessary.

My problem: I tried to simply replace my son's 4 port SL3 with the SWM SL3, included the power inserter and splitter & removed the BBC from the HR24 connection. The HR24 boots up, recognizes the SL3 SWM and gets as far as "step 2 of 2: Receiving satellite info...." the green bar gets to 98%, then pauses there for several minutes, then I get the "Acquiring guide data. Thanks for your patience" screen, and there it hangs until I select the "more info" button. At this point it sits in the 772 message state (no guide data) - I also noticed that the date & time are wrong. Tried resets, no luck. Switched back to non-SWM config and everything works fine.

If this was a SL5 I would suspect the 119 alignment was off since that is apparently where the guide data transmits; but my understanding with the SL3 SWM is guide data piggybacks from 101 or 103 (I forget which). So theoretically if the non-SWM SL3 has stong signal from all 3 sats, simply swapping the SWM SL3 should not require a realignment (unless it is internally skewed) - correct? Please note that I do not have a SWM capable Sat meter. At this point I suspect the poorly packaged SL3 SWM from Amazon is bad, thoughts? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Ps. Since someone will probably ask - I hesitate to have DTV send a tech since my family's last several experiences with them were horrible. (Barely capable English speakers, fly by night subcontractors, trash equipment, didn't know what they are doing - had one guy hand me his AIM meter because he couldn't figure it out; Big difference in lack of professionalism since ATT took over - but those are other threads) And with COVID it is not worth the risk

Is it possible to try his SWM LNB at your house or bring his HR24 to your house to narrow down where the issue is?

Also, if he only has a single DVR why does he want whole home?

Reactions: Jimbo
Is it possible to try his SWM LNB at your house or bring his HR24 to your house to narrow down where the issue is?

Also, if he only has a single DVR why does he want whole home?
My SWM LNB is a SL5, I do not want to mess with the dish alignment to go SL3 and potentially muck up my system. He will be adding a couple of H24s once we get this working, probably get from a distributor.

My SWM LNB is a SL5, I do not want to mess with the dish alignment to go SL3 and potentially muck up my system. He will be adding a couple of H24s once we get this working, probably get from a distributor.
Changing from an SL5 to an SL3 won't hurt your alignment at all. If he wants to add additional dvrs he might as well get a Genie, it's much newer than the HR24 series. Either way will add a commitment to his subscription.

Reactions: harshness
Changing from an SL5 to an SL3 won't hurt your alignment at all. If he wants to add additional dvrs he might as well get a Genie, it's much newer than the HR24 series. Either way will add a commitment to his subscription.
Just to close out this thread, problem was in fact a bad LNB; SWiM system now works fine with a new SL3 LNB.

Reactions: raoul5788

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)