Slave Kit Installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BOBHUSKER

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Northern California
I just purchased a nifty little slave kit. I followed the instructions which seem pretty simple. I just have one minor question. I noticed that I have to turn the 4DTV receiver off to get a Cband signal on my Viewsat. Also, it seemed as though I had to do the oppostite and turn my 4DTV receiver on before I got the KU band to work on my Viewsat. I feel like I may be imagining this. I will test it out more tomorrow. The only reason I am posting about this is I want to find out if these symptoms mean I have hooked the slave kit up wrong. I printed the instructions where I bought it and followed it step by step.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Bob​

4dtv box should be on
lnb to power pass port in
4dtv box to power pass port
Viewsat to other port
both c/ku this way
Viewsat to DiSEqC 1 c 4 ku
good luck

my thoughts exactly, it should be printed on the splitters witch side is pass thought, this way the 4Dtv will control the polarity.
Terry

The attached file is how mine is set up. Tonight, with the 4DTV 922 on, I got a clean signal on the 99 but later, I could not get a signal on the 131, 133 or 135. The higher number sats are not working. Any suggestions.
Thanks
Bob

Attachments

• Slave Set Up.GIF
    Slave Set Up.GIF
    28.7 KB · Views: 198
Dish alignment or a diseqc port interaction problem. Try using ports 1 and 4 instead of 1 & 2.

For whatever reason, last night it appears to be working. I must have been tired the previous night or something. I double checked my connections and I think I have it right. The signal to the 4DTV 922 seems to be about the seem, but it appears a bit weaker to my Viewsat than before. Not enough to cause channel loss so it is no big deal but I have to ask, is there such a thing as a signal booster like the old cable boxes used to have?
Thanks again to everybody trying to help me. Because of this forum, I am enjoying Cband TV and loving it!!!!

There is some loss through any device, diseqc, splitter, etc. This is normal. Also with inline devices and jumpers you change the SWR and have reflections which can cause the BER to increase.

I just thought I would mention that I have removed my slave kit. It was causing too much of a signal decrease. I don't mind having to switch the LNB cord from 1 receiver to another. Signal loss was causing break-ups with HBO (from the 133). Without the kit, my picture is perfect again. Also, some channels would no longer come in with my Viewsat. Signal is 20% stronger without the kit.

Last edited:
I just thought I would mention that I have removed my slave kit. It was causing too much of a signal decrease. I don't mind having to switch the LNB cord from 1 receiver to another. Signal loss was causing break-ups with HBO (from the 133). Without the kit, my picture is perfect again. Also, some channels would no longer come in with my Viewsat. Signal is 20% stronger without the kit.

How about using an A/B switch? Just make sure it don't shunt hot to ground through a terminating resistor. I used to do it that way and modified an A/B/C switch to work.

I have answered my own question by going to Radio Shack tonight. The A/B switch is exactly the same as the one I used to use for cable. I bought one and it works perfect. This is the right set up for me. Thanks for the suggestion tvrpro.

Just make sure it don't ground out the connection when it isolates. That could hurt the LNB or receiver since it has power there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.