Slaving a DVB Receiver to a DSR922 ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trscott

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Oregon
Seeing all the DVB channels is kind of making me think about adding a DVB receiver.

I gather that it is possible to "slave" a DVB receiver to the DSR922, but not sure how to proceed:

1) What do you recomend for a DVB receiver in this configuration? What are the tradeoffs, cost, features (HD?), other stuff?

2) I have a Corotor II+, domestic version (H&V), with pretty good Norsat LNBs, and a 12' dish that is working very well for Ku
Will this give the signal that the DVB receiver need? Or does it want circular polarization?

3) Any links about how to wire this up? Does it just take some suitable bandwidth RF splitters/combiners? Or something more specific?

4) How do you store the DVB sat positioning in the 922? Do you just pick out an unused satellite and use it for something else? Or are the setups for 4DTV and DVB enough the same that dish alignment for 4DTV is the same for the DVB?

Anything else I should think about? I don't yet have HD decoding, but may want to eventually.

Thanks!

Diamond Jim said:
That about sums it up. I will be slaving a Quali TV QS1080IR along with the 3618 to the 922 come tomorrow, providing it arrives when it's suppose to.:)

Wow with a Quali TV you will have some great looking HD feeds :)

Pansat 3500SD? Timers for recording?

So I after having read some of the reviews of different DVB receivers, I am thinking that the Pansat 3500SD looks like a pretty good deal for slaving DVB to my DSR922, 4DTV, 12' dish. They are going for as little as $160 on ebay.

Does the 3500 have program info and timers so that I can pre-program it and then record at that time with my TIVO, the way I do with my DSR922?

I know that I could get a Pansat 6000 that has its own PVR (like TIVO), but that's a lot more money, and I don't have a good feel yet for how much of my time I will be wanting to record off of DVB. Right now I spend a lot of my time on FoxNews, CSPAN, TCM, AMC, FMC, SciFi, and USA. Reading through the FTA sats, I see a lot of content, but I don't have a good feel for how hard it would be to find things of interest.

Thanks!

PS: I really appreciate all the good answers and info I am getting here. Cheers!

Sat Names

trscott said:
Seeing all the DVB channels is kind of making me think about adding a DVB receiver.

I gather that it is possible to "slave" a DVB receiver to the DSR922, but not sure how to proceed:

1) What do you recomend for a DVB receiver in this configuration? What are the tradeoffs, cost, features (HD?), other stuff?

2) I have a Corotor II+, domestic version (H&V), with pretty good Norsat LNBs, and a 12' dish that is working very well for Ku
Will this give the signal that the DVB receiver need? Or does it want circular polarization?

3) Any links about how to wire this up? Does it just take some suitable bandwidth RF splitters/combiners? Or something more specific?

4) How do you store the DVB sat positioning in the 922? Do you just pick out an unused satellite and use it for something else? Or are the setups for 4DTV and DVB enough the same that dish alignment for 4DTV is the same for the DVB?

Anything else I should think about? I don't yet have HD decoding, but may want to eventually.

Thanks!

You sort of need a score card as to what 4dtv sats = what FTA Sats + what polarity the FTA channels are on. ie: if i want to see something on AMC3, I use the 4dtv to move the dish to AMC3 which is the same position as W3 on the 4dtv. A little inconvenient but the dedicated dish for FTA does not go up until it gets nice out!!! Luckily my BUD is right on so the FTA stuff comes in great!!

OR
My Viewsat Extreme allows me to rename a sat so I could make the FTA have the same names as the 4dtv...then I would have Lyngsat issues so.....I chose the 1st option
Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)