Slaving FTA to existing C-Band setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

RMS

Original poster
Dec 19, 2005
Long time lurker - first time poster here.

Finally made the decision to try out this FTA thing and I'm awaiting the arrival of my new Conaxsat v1.

My current set up is a 10-ft mesh, C-Band LNB only and a DSR-922.

After reading through the many, many posts on this subject I'm still a little confused on how to slave the FTA box to my 922. I've seen the diagrams where the coax from the lnb is split and then feeds each of the rx's.

I've also seen a diagram where the loop through of the FTA box is sent into the 922, however I recall some comments made that the loop through should not be used in this manner (I can't recall where I read this, though).

I would appreciate any comments on either of these connections or any advice on how to do the connections.

Thank you,

RMS.

welcome :wave

What I would do is split the cable coming from the LNB to the receiver and run it to both receivers. Make sure the splitter will go up to 2200MHZ (some of the cheaper ones only go to 1000MHZ).

Here is a diagram. Since you are C-Band only, the KU portion is moot
http://www.dmsiusa.com/add_a_receiver.htm

Thanks, Iceberg (Wow, that was quick!)

From the diagram in the link I assume that the DiSEqC switch isn't necessary. Also, I've seen some comments that recommend the splitter be DC blocked and I'm guessing that this is so both rx's are not sending DC signal at the same time?

Are these splitters available at your local consumer electronics store? If not, where can they be obtained.

Thanks,
RMS.

no diseqc is needed since you are C-Band only
some splitters will only pass power on one output. If not, then get a DC block

I picked up the splitters at Radio Shack but any place that sells splitters rated up to 2200MHZ will be fine

Thanks guys. I'm truly impressed by the responses here.
I'll be upgrading to a C/Ku setup once things thaw out around here so you'll likely be getting some more questions from me!

Thanks again,

RMS

Very simple operation, do as Ice says and you shouldn't any problems. I have two FTA receivers slaved through my Motorola 922.
I totally agree, I have 3 FTA receivers hooked from my 4x1 high frequency splitter (with one port power passthrough) and the power passthrough going to my GI DSR920. I also have the ku, so I use Diseqc switches with my FTA receivers.

Al

actually I have a two way splitter with both ports that pass dc power.

I have an analog c-band receiver c and ku, with a fortec ultra slaved .

two splitters one for ku and one for c band

I let both ports pass power and it does not hurt anything since the voltage is either 13vdc or 18 vdc. polarity is the same.

If my analog receiver is on a Horizontal channel =18vdc then when I turn on my fta receiver I cannot get verticals

If I MAKE SURE my analog is on a vertical=13vdc, I can get both polarities on my fta box since it just boosts the coax volts to 18 for horizontal and back to 13 for vertical.

I do this because I have an auto switching s-video A/V switch and UHF remotes.

This setup simplifies my arrangements for operation in other rooms on other tv's

I have both C and Ku band. I have two splitters that can pass DC power on both ports but also block the reverse flow of DC on both ports so there is no feedback issues from my Coolsat to my Motorola 920 and vice versa. That way whatever STB is turned on will power the LNBs.

no diseqc is needed since you are C-Band only
some splitters will only pass power on one output. If not, then get a DC block

I picked up the splitters at Radio Shack but any place that sells splitters rated up to 2200MHZ will be fine

For some reason I was under the impression that KU was a must for FTA.

not a must but it sure adds another level to it
you have:
analog c band -- received with a analog c band receiver
digital c band -- received with a dvb receiver
videocipher c band -- received with a 4dtv or VC equipped analog receiver
digicipher c band -- 4dtv
analog ku band -- received with a analog c/ku band receiver
digital ku band -- received with a dvb receiver

there are several other ku formats requiring a subscription to that company to receive

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)