Slim 3 vs. 5

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dsc3507

Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
I have installed a slimline 5 and I am about to buy and install another dish. My question is should I go with a slimline 3 or 5. I am in Philly market and I do not believe I need the 5 for HD and locals? The 3 is slightly less expensive. I am wondering if it is any easier or different for alignment than the 5? I believe the two are physically the same.

They set up just the same sans the 110/119... as far as if your market needs them you can test it by going to Satellite Settings and choosing the Slimline 3 on your 5 now and see if you loose any locals. Obviously you will loose channels in the 70's. Make sure you do not pick the SWMLine3 unless you are getting the SWM LNB.

Ok thanks for the replies. I am a little confused though. What is the 's' vs. the 'swm' dish? Where are these specs you mentioned from? Also does the package include the braces? I don't often see this mentioned and I would certainly like to use them. When I got my slimline 5 they did not come with it. An installer dropped it off and after I installed it I had to beg the local DirectTV office to give me a couple. I don't think these guys can believe that anyone besides their installers can install these things!

Unless you are wanting Spanish or other international prog, there is no need for 110/119 in your market. (some markets DO have locals on 119, but Philly is NOT one of them) You also do NOT have to worry about blockage to 119/119 on the SL3 - do keep in mind that in the future that if you choose the SL5 & you DO get blockage on 119, you're guide will NOT work properly - even if you change the dish on the receiver to SL3.

As far as SWM, that is the Single Line Multi-switch technology, basically so that you do not need 2 coax runs for the DVR units - do a search on it & you'll find out all you need to know... ;) ;)

Unless you are wanting Spanish or other international prog, there is no need for 110/119 in your market. (some markets DO have locals on 119, but Philly is NOT one of them) You also do NOT have to worry about blockage to 119/119 on the SL3 - do keep in mind that in the future that if you choose the SL5 & you DO get blockage on 119, you're guide will NOT work properly - even if you change the dish on the receiver to SL3.

As far as SWM, that is the Single Line Multi-switch technology, basically so that you do not need 2 coax runs for the DVR units - do a search on it & you'll find out all you need to know... ;) ;)

Ok so based on what you are saying here what would you recommend, the SL3 or SL5 ?

Ok so based on what you are saying here what would you recommend, the SL3 or SL5 ?

(again) Unless you are wanting Spanish or other international prog, there is no need for 110/119 in your market.
(you haven't said one way or the other if you DO need foreign prog or not & obviously, I would not know this... ;) ;) )

So, if you are NOT planning on subbing to any foreign prog, go with the SL3 - obviously a little cheaper & less to go wrong, you know...

I look at it as a safety net thing; you may not NEED 110 or 119 today BUT you never know what might happen so I would want to at least have the ability to see those just in case without the need to buy, add or change anything in my setup; especially at a moments notice.

OK, no I definitely do not need Spanish or International so I could probably use the 3 but I have no problem getting and setting up the 5. I suppose that would be the best choice given it is the same size and I have already done it.

I actually have more concern setting up the 3. With the 3 I believe my signal meter will only receive the 101 sat and it might be harder to adjust not having the others to get the alignment points. Am I wrong on this?

OK, no I definitely do not need Spanish or International so I could probably use the 3 but I have no problem getting and setting up the 5. I suppose that would be the best choice given it is the same size and I have already done it.

I actually have more concern setting up the 3. With the 3 I believe my signal meter will only receive the 101 sat and it might be harder to adjust not having the others to get the alignment points. Am I wrong on this?

You need to do the dithering adjustment as with the SL5. For tilt, just set it to the value given for your location and forget it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)