Slim mode for HD?

PhilAce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
Columbia, MO
I have been writing to E* about adding a slim mode to their zoom modes for stretch-o-vision. Can they do this?

I understand it would work better for truly stretched HD content, not the sssssttttrrreetcchhheeeeddddd content.

Any thoughts?

Your TV should be able to do that. The problem is, usually stretch-o-vision is not truly stretched. They stretch the edges more than the center. That's why when the camera pans, it looks like some kind of cylindrical distortion filter is on the lens.

If you "unstretch" this process, it looks even more distorted, because now the CENTER is too "slim".

I know. I'm talking about what they are doing on A&E and History. My TV will only do slim mode on 480p and 480i signals. So I have to switch from 720p to 480p and then slim through the TV. For now I just unlocked the SD feeds of these channels for 4:3 content.

"Thank you for the clarification,

We forwarded your suggestion to our software engineering team and they
believe we would have just as many complaints, or even some confusion,
if we ask our viewers to "correct" the format rather than wait for
broadcasters to provide 16:9 content on a full time basis or close to
it.

Please continue to share your feedback and suggestions though! Customer
input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the
quality of the DISH Network service.

Regards,
EchoStar Satellite LLC
Quality Assurance Department"

:mad:

It might be a long time until the TV stations end stretch-o-vision.

That's weird your TV won't do it. I've got a cheapie LCD and I can.

I haven't seen A&E or History HD. Maybe the solution is to bombard them with messages. If they wouldn't "break" the picture, you wouldn't need to fix it.

E*s answer is BS too. Why do they offer "stretch"? The only time I use "stretch" is to "correct" the format when I watch on the 4:3 TV in the bedroom.

I have the same problem with some subchannels on local channels. They stretch 4:3 to 16:9, when I complain to the engineering staff they claim they have some vendor that makes a mystery box and they have no way to configure it differently. I would love to have to have a slim mode. My TV will stretch, zoom, etc, but does not slim down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)