Slimline 3 Dish Pointing Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ancient_dragon

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
South Jersey
Alright, well I got the install yesterday of Directv. It was a long an painful process, but that is another story I will post later. As for right now I am tryin to tweak it, cuz the installers gave pretty low signal strength(In 60s sometimes). What exactly should I expect to get as signal strenght? I have no trees, no obstructions. About as clear a view to the satellite as possible. Thats why I know I should be getting pretty high. But I don't know how high to expect from the 99(c), 101, & 103(c) transponders. What do you guys on here get for those that have good installs?

99(c) & 103(c) 14 transponders should be in the low 90s.

If it is below 70 tweaking of the alignment is necessary.

I've adjusted the satellite to exactly what I believe to equal what I was told by dishpointer.com and with help from someone telling me how signal was doing. I got it so my transponders from each are between 77 and 84. But I am still hoping for better, considering how clear my LOS is. Is that an unreleastic goal to hope for? After having installers try for 3 hours and not being able to understand why they couldn't get a signal in the 90s. They said they never have issues getting in 90s, and this was clearer LOS than most of the others. I am def not feeling to sure about this all.

Try different reflector and/or LNBF.
Well unfortunately I'm just a customer, and trying a different one would mean buying one for my own. Which is an expense I don't really want to make if I don't know. I asked the supervisor who came after the installation if that could be the problem. He said, since there is some signal, that can not be the issue. If either one of those had issues, he said you would receive no signal at all.

Nevermind I thought it might be the b-band converters possibly. But that isn't it. I am just reaching trying to find some explanation.

Last edited:
What condition is the cable from the LNB to the switch? There should be no barrels installed. One straight feed to switch is best. Fittings tight and so on.

I made a boo boo on my install and didn't use compression fittings. It only took a few weeks for my signal to start fading! Had nothing to do with aim of dish. I replaced the cripped fittings and installed compressions and I was back to the 90's

just a thought!

jet

What condition is the cable from the LNB to the switch? There should be no barrels installed. One straight feed to switch is best. Fittings tight and so on.

I made a boo boo on my install and didn't use compression fittings. It only took a few weeks for my signal to start fading! Had nothing to do with aim of dish. I replaced the cripped fittings and installed compressions and I was back to the 90's

just a thought!

jet
I'm not sure if they crimped or compressed it. I'll have to look into the issue more and figure it out. Not sure how I would know just lookin at it.

Hi
(on a clear day)
on 101 you should have about 99 on txpr 6 and 100 on txpr 8. if it is lower than 92 on either then look at 99 and 103. if 103 is in the 90's and 99 is in the 70's then it is your dish pointing however Directv did rool out some inferior dishes recently. the reflectors were of poor quality and have been discontinued in my area at least. if that is the case then the reflector will need to be changed. this was largely a packaging issue. the tell-tale sign is a small dent off-centre to the right of the pan in the DTv logo area. If its not that then its the LNBf multiswitch. to test the lnb firstly check your levels: pick 2 transponders one odd one even on each satellite 101 103 99. record the levels. unpower all the receivers for a time. (this allows the lnb to cool down) plug up the hd receiver, compare the levels, wait 10 mins and then check them again. if the levels drop you need a new lnb. (providing your cabling is good). do this on a clear day. did i say that already? if they dont drop plug up the next box check again. if they drop then unplug that box and recheck. if it returns to normal then you have a short or bad fitting.
let me know how you get on
what model lnb do you hav?
what was the date of your install?
what is your zip?
Bref

you can go old school on the pointing and get two telephones, pick txpr 6 on 101, turn up the volume on your tv, get up on the roof, leave one phone at the tv and the louder it gets the closer you are. tips: be sure your mast is plumb (vertical). adjust your elevation first. find the highest point where the signal drops off then find the lowest point where it drops off do the maths and lock it in the middle. i.e. 50 deg + 56deg= 106 deg divide by 2=53deg. so set your elevation at 53. do the same for your azimuth.
hope that helps
bref
:)

I have the slimline 3 lnb, installed on Saturday. My zip code is 08056. I've tried some of the tips everyone has given. I'm getting around 80 to 85 on average. With a responder sometimes gettin up to 87, and others getting as low as 77. But most are in the real early 80s now.

Just another question. When they would retest, and I retest during satellite setup. It says errors found on both tuners. And only 2 out of the 6 usually pass. Is that just testing signal strength? and its not passing cause mine is low. Or is something else wrong?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts