Slimline 3 self install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mirtec001

Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Gerogia
I hope someone here can point me in the right direction.
- I recently moved and packed up all of my equipment.
- I sunk the new pole, made sure it was plumb, and dropped on the dish.
- Next I went to the website and got the rough in settings. I tweaked the dish using a CW-SF95 Satellite Finder. Checked the signal strength:
101 : 1 - 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
9 - 16 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
17 - 24 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
25 - 32 0 0 0 94 0 96 0 96

- On the SWM satellite I get :

1 - 8 96 96 0 0 0 0 0 0
9 - 16 0 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
17 - 24 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
25 - 32 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

I'm seeing the SWiM but I keep getting Searching for Satellite Signal (771). I thought if you got it in the neighborhood you could pull 40s pointing it at the ground. I hope something did't happen to the LNB during shipment.

Thanks guys,

-Pete

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

You are pointing at the 110 satellite instead of 101.

raoul5788 said:
:welcome to Satelliteguys!

You are pointing at the 110 satellite instead of 101.

Chip,
How did you come to that conclusion ?

OP, no, you can't point it just anywhere, the Sat your looking for is 23,000 miles up, need to be quite presice.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Chip,
How did you come to that conclusion ?

OP, no, you can't point it just anywhere, the Sat your looking for is 23,000 miles up, need to be quite presice.

The signal strength numbers showing anything are for t28, t30, and t32. Aren't those the only ones Directv uses on 110?

I just checked and the transponders on 110 are 8, 10, and 12. I'm guessing that somehow it shows as 28, 30, and 32 if you are pointing at 110 instead of 101.

Last edited:
raoul5788 said:
The signal strength numbers showing anything are for t28, t30, and t32. Aren't those the only ones Directv uses on 110?

I don't think they are that high .... not home so I can't look.

Pete,

Just a couple of things to consider.

1) You make a reference to SWM signal. That is meaningless on aiming your dish. This value is only indicating the SWM levels.

2) The meter you are using is useless for SWM. When you have any meter that does not work with SWM you need the DirecTV ASL unit to pass the power to the SWM head and separate out the signals. Since this is a one-time effort, you are best to just do this with your receiver and TV. Unless you can see the TV screen you will probably need someone who can yell out the values on the screen.

3) Make sure your compass is not close to the pole since it can influence how your compass points. When I do the setup on our RV, I now use a piece of doweling and align that with the compass setting. Then when I am moving the dish around I can see the doweling much easier than the line on the compass. This makes it much easier to get the LNB arm aimed correctly.

4) Did you reset the elevation for your new location? As was pointed out, you need to be really close on the initial settings to get things started on the setup.

Just know that all of us who have setup our own dishes have all walked through these issues while we learned how to do it.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)