Slimline 3 SWM During Heavy Rain

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Also... I know that KA and KU are the determining factor, not SD and HD. I don't know which way it is now (certainly wouldn't figure it out on this thread).

Whatever band SD on the 101, and seemingly everything on 119, is on should be switched with the band that the HD and the few special SD on the 99 and 103 is on. It doesn't make sense to charge most people an extra fee (or build it into the fee for the newer folks) for HD but have most (MOST) of the HD channels go away before the SD. This thread is clearly about a SL3. I didn't mean for this to get out of control when I wrote what HD is on the 119. Technically off topic, but it is blatantly wrong to say all HD is on the 99 or 103 so I was correcting that. Wouldn't it just be easier to say: All English HD on Directv in the USA is on the 99 and 103. All Spanish HD on Directv in the USA is on the 119. That is not KA and KU related, but generally speaking most (MOST) HD is one way and most (MOST) SD is the other. The latter band is better in rain.

Why does this industry not force people to stay with the times? I can't use Windows 95. I can't go get a phone from the 90's. Yet here we are catering to those who stay behind.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Also... I know that KA and KU are the determining factor, not SD and HD. I don't know which way it is now (certainly wouldn't figure it out on this thread).

Whatever band SD on the 101, and seemingly everything on 119, is on should be switched with the band that the HD and the few special SD on the 99 and 103 is on. It doesn't make sense to charge most people an extra fee (or build it into the fee for the newer folks) for HD but have most (MOST) of the HD channels go away before the SD. This thread is clearly about a SL3. I didn't mean for this to get out of control when I wrote what HD is on the 119. Technically off topic, but it is blatantly wrong to say all HD is on the 99 or 103 so I was correcting that. Wouldn't it just be easier to say: All English HD on Directv in the USA is on the 99 and 103. All Spanish HD on Directv in the USA is on the 119. That is not KA and KU related, but generally speaking most (MOST) HD is one way and most (MOST) SD is the other. The latter band is better in rain.

Why does this industry not force people to stay with the times? I can't use Windows 95. I can't go get a phone from the 90's. Yet here we are catering to those who stay behind.
Well put.
Fwiw, 101, 119 KU
99 and 103 KA

There we go. Perfect. Thanks.

Now they gotta switch them.
Before you switch bands, you need to switch folks with SD receivers with HD equipment. Is not an easy task considering how many subs are still out there with older equipment. At some point DirecTV will get rid of the duplicate SD feeds and place the most watch HD channels on the 101. The fact that DirecTV stopped installing SD receivers for new customers and taking into consideration natural attrition is a step in the right direction.

Before you switch bands, you need to switch folks with SD receivers with HD equipment. Is not an easy task considering how many subs are still out there with older equipment. At some point DirecTV will get rid of the duplicate SD feeds and place the most watch HD channels on the 101. The fact that DirecTV stopped installing SD receivers for new customers and taking into consideration natural attrition is a step in the right direction.
Yes it is, but it took way too long to implement that policy.

Too long for who? There are millions of SD-only customers out there who are perfectly happy with their SD boxes. DirecTV probably only stopped installing them to avoid having to manufacture new ones.

Too long for who? There are millions of SD-only customers out there who are perfectly happy with their SD boxes. DirecTV probably only stopped installing them to avoid having to manufacture new ones.
If the got rid of the HD fee all together, that would help ease the change to HD ... No person with D* wants to hear that they should be moving to newer equipment and btw, its gonna cost you another $10 p/m.

So that's $10 per month per subscriber they have to find from somewhere else....

For everyone. If they had begun the no mpeg2 (sd) equipment installation policy earlier, we would be that much closer to not needing mpeg2 signals. When that day happens, a lot more bandwidth will open up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)