Slimline 5LNB dish? Dish surface?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trellaine

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
Vancouver
Does the entire surface of the Slimline 5LNB dish need to have a complete clear view of the skies? How does the signal transfer to the receiver.

I am out west and thus told I need the dish to face south east.

Thanks

You actually need about a 30-35 degree arc of the sky to obtain signals from all 5 orbital locations and about 15 degrees if you live in an area that can get all channels with the Slimline 3.

So if you take the azimuth setting for your area for the dish type you are looking at using, you will need a minimum of 5-10 degrees to the left with anywhere from 5-10 degrees to the right for the Slimline 3 to 25 degrees for the 5 LNB dish.

I know somebody is going to refer you to dishpointer.com, but that will not tell you if you have enough of an arc open for all the orbital locations.

If you are talking about obstructions to the reflector dish itself, then yes, it needs more than that area to ensure that it can obtain reliable signals.

You actually need about a 30-35 degree arc of the sky to obtain signals from all 5 orbital locations and about 15 degrees if you live in an area that can get all channels with the Slimline 3.

So if you take the azimuth setting for your area for the dish type you are looking at using, you will need a minimum of 5-10 degrees to the left with anywhere from 5-10 degrees to the right for the Slimline 3 to 25 degrees for the 5 LNB dish.

I know somebody is going to refer you to dishpointer.com, but that will not tell you if you have enough of an arc open for all the orbital locations.

If you are talking about obstructions to the reflector dish itself, then yes, it needs more than that area to ensure that it can obtain reliable signals.

Unfortunately thats way too technical for me. I know the space I have to place the dish will be quite tight. I think they only way is to actually buy all the equipment/dish and find someone to set it up for me. The slimline 5LNB is what I need. Is the other 5LNB any different?

hmm but what channels will I be missing with a 3LNB? I am mainly interested in sports and all the HD channels incl locals.

I understand they move channels around.

119 has some areas locals and Spanish stations
110 has some old HD chanels that are duplicated on 99/101/103 in MPEG4

My parents just got D about 2 months ago and they got the 3LNB slimline and they get all the HD channels

Unfortunately thats way too technical for me. I know the space I have to place the dish will be quite tight. I think they only way is to actually buy all the equipment/dish and find someone to set it up for me. The slimline 5LNB is what I need. Is the other 5LNB any different?

One other thing to think about, the dish signals come in much higher than the angle that you would look at over the dish/ lnb's.
So if the dish "Looks" like it may have obstructions , if it's clearer higher up, you'll be good.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)