Slimline and Dish Pointing...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

l33txp

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Recently my signal has dropped from a pretty good 80+/-% to barely 59%... nothing has changed... I have the tip of a tree in my way but it's been there for years.. anyway.. I checked online with DirecTV and they say my Elevation should be 40.2 and Azimuth 214.9.. I don't know how to measure Azimuth but the Elevation I can .. and on my dish outside the bolt on the slide is between 20 and 30.. is this right? Should I loosen this and move it to 40.2??? What should I do?? My HD channels are perfect.. SD not so much.. depends on the channel.. what can I do here?

If the dish elevation was really as low as you stated you would be getting any signal. The elevation scale can be tricky to read. Don't use the actauul bold, but the marking on the washer behind the bolt.

Post your signal strengths for all transponders on all satellites.

And you could look for "skid marks." Check for movement of elevation .......you will see a rust mark or worn paint where the dish was before it moved (usually down). For AZ make a mark where the dish is pointed now. Then move the dish a little after loosening the three rear AZ bolts.

The fact that you still have signal means you will not be making large (more that a degree or two) to get back, get back.....get back where you must belong.......(old song).

You can also do this with a pal at the TV and a cell phone. Turn on the meter for the SD 101 sat.
Without loosening anything...lightly pull and push on the top and then the sides of the dish. IF the numbers go up that tells you which way to move the dish.

Ez does it. Make marks before you begin. Ka/Ku dishes need 1/2 wrenches.

Joe

Last edited:
And you could look for "skid marks." Check for movement of elevation .......you will see a rust mark or worn paint where the dish was before it moved (usually down). For AZ make a mark where the dish is pointed now. Then move the dish a little after loosening the three rear AZ bolts.

The fact that you still have signal means you will not be making large (more that a degree or two) to get back, get back.....get back where you must belong.......(old song).

You can also do this with a pal at the TV and a cell phone. Turn on the meter for the SD 101 sat.
Without loosening anything...lightly pull and push on the top and then the sides of the dish. IF the numbers go up that tells you which way to move the dish.

Ez does it. Make marks before you begin. Ka/Ku dishes need 1/2 wrenches.

Joe

This is where I would start, so you have an idea of which way to go ...

I've been doing exactly what you have said.. I did discover something very interesting this evening while working on it.. I have a rather large pine tree in my front yard, and being in the middle of town I don't have much room.. but the dish is pointed at an edge of the tree, not too bad, always had 80% or more signal, but I noticed that a large group of pine cones have grown right above where my dish is pointing.. I think my safest bet is going to be moving the dish... I have a beautiful view of the southern sky on the other side of my house since the other tree was removed recently. Will power lines/cable/phone lines do anything to my reception? It will be pointing directly at them... :angel:

I've been doing exactly what you have said.. I did discover something very interesting this evening while working on it.. I have a rather large pine tree in my front yard, and being in the middle of town I don't have much room.. but the dish is pointed at an edge of the tree, not too bad, always had 80% or more signal, but I noticed that a large group of pine cones have grown right above where my dish is pointing.. I think my safest bet is going to be moving the dish... I have a beautiful view of the southern sky on the other side of my house since the other tree was removed recently. Will power lines/cable/phone lines do anything to my reception? It will be pointing directly at them... :angel:

No .... unless they are right on top of it, even then I doubt it.

Remember, the signal comes into the dish much higher than the LNB arm points.

If you have a clear area on the other side of the house , that would be the better way to go.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts