Slimline Installation question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tsbarker13

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2009
Virginia, USA
This soiunds like a simple question, but I can see "both sides of the fence". In installing a Slimline 5-LNB antenna, if I am only servicing up one TV, can I omit the multiswitch? Can I simple have the 21-V power supply line go straight to the LNB suite (And the other to the IRD)?

Or, do I still need the multiswitch to correctly handle the power distribution to the LNBs?

Thank you for your help in clarifying for me.

Assuming you have an SWM LNB, then a multiswitch isn't used. I'm not quite sure about this, but I think the power inserter is all you need. To supply another receiver you'd need an SWM splitter.

Assuming you have an SWM LNB, then a multiswitch isn't used. I'm not quite sure about this, but I think the power inserter is all you need. To supply another receiver you'd need an SWM splitter.

correct.. cant work unless you got a SMW splitter, even for a one box install, gotta have the splitter. can use a 4 or a 8 splitter.

I guess I am calling parts by the wrong name. I was thinking about the 4-port or 8-port splitter. I was calling that the mulitswtch, thinking that was what was used feed multiple TVs from the single antenna.

So, as I read it, I DO need the 4-port splitter even if I only have one TV

correct.. cant work unless you got a SMW splitter, even for a one box install, gotta have the splitter. can use a 4 or a 8 splitter.

Are you sure? Why would you need a splitter if you are not splitting?

"SWM Splitters
In practically every installation, a splitter is required whether you're using an SWM LNB or an SWM Multi-Switch. The only time we've gotten away without using a splitter is a one-receiver DVR installation - running straight from the SWM LNB to the SWM Power Supply to the receiver. ALL multi-receiver installs will require a splitter. The number of receivers to be installed will determine the type SWM Splitter needed (2-way, 4-way or 8-way). SWM Splitters are unique - you cannot use ordinary splitters in your installation!"

Are you sure? Why would you need a splitter if you are not splitting?

"SWM Splitters
In practically every installation, a splitter is required whether you're using an SWM LNB or an SWM Multi-Switch. The only time we've gotten away without using a splitter is a one-receiver DVR installation - running straight from the SWM LNB to the SWM Power Supply to the receiver. ALL multi-receiver installs will require a splitter. The number of receivers to be installed will determine the type SWM Splitter needed (2-way, 4-way or 8-way). SWM Splitters are unique - you cannot use ordinary splitters in your installation!"

dont ask me, im told by the DST that we are to use Splitters and only need a multi switch if you got more than one dish set up.

ive never done a single box install without a splitter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)