Slimline Installed, Finally!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lamboman316

Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Don't ever plan on Directv Techs to do an istall when they say they will, I've been down that road plenty of times. There install department sucks.. I did get it installed yesterday. It was suppose to be last Friday, but we won't go there. He didn't want to install it on the side of the house. I have vinyl siding and he said they are not suppose to do it. Due to leaving holes if I ever take it down and than I would be mad at him for putting it there in the first place. I told him I am not going anywhere. After sometime, he said ok.. That puppy is some secured, you could do pull ups off of it, not that I would..

My question is, on the 2 new Sats. 99/103 should I be getting signal. On 99 transponder 1 its like 75-79, transponder 2 is 96. That is a big difference. Sat 103 I get no signal. Is it not up and running yet.. Or he not fine tune it correctly.

Good thing I bought the slimline myself, he only had AT9 on truck.. I have always liked Tivo, but I am getting use to Directv version DVR.. I do Have a better picture quality on this new receiver compared to 10-250.. Bring on more HD...

Just about everything being beamed off of the 99 is a spotbeam, meaning the beams may be aimed at you, or aimed in a completely different direction. The only beam that need read high numbers would be yours, and if you have transponder 2 at 96 I'd say it is probably aimed correctly.

There are other reasons not to mount on vinyl siding, and even if it is secure I would never have done it in the first place, regardless of the customers insistence.

You should be getting 4 out of 6 tp's on both 99 and 103

Don't ever plan on Directv Techs to do an istall when they say they will, I've been down that road plenty of times. There install department sucks.. I did get it installed yesterday. It was suppose to be last Friday, but we won't go there. He didn't want to install it on the side of the house. I have vinyl siding and he said they are not suppose to do it. Due to leaving holes if I ever take it down and than I would be mad at him for putting it there in the first place. I told him I am not going anywhere. After sometime, he said ok.. That puppy is some secured, you could do pull ups off of it, not that I would..

My question is, on the 2 new Sats. 99/103 should I be getting signal. On 99 transponder 1 its like 75-79, transponder 2 is 96. That is a big difference. Sat 103 I get no signal. Is it not up and running yet.. Or he not fine tune it correctly.

Good thing I bought the slimline myself, he only had AT9 on truck.. I have always liked Tivo, but I am getting use to Directv version DVR.. I do Have a better picture quality on this new receiver compared to 10-250.. Bring on more HD...

You don't need to get all six tp's on both, but atleast 4 on each. You should get something on 103. With standard installation most installers don't peak the dish as they should, or don't use the proper meter. My advice is to call DirecTV and complain that it was not done correctly and have a new installer come back and get it right.

Your local spotbeam for HD locals will be from one of the satellites, either 99 or 103. Some people are able to see signals from both satellites because they are in the edge of another city's spotbeam - this is quite common in the Eastern USA but not in the West. It is not unusual to get just one transponder on one of the satellites and none on the other. As long as you are getting your HD locals don't worry about it.

You may find however next year when all HD moves to 99 and 103 that you will be...

Your local spotbeam for HD locals will be from one of the satellites, either 99 or 103. Some people are able to see signals from both satellites because they are in the edge of another city's spotbeam - this is quite common in the Eastern USA but not in the West. It is not unusual to get just one transponder on one of the satellites and none on the other. As long as you are getting your HD locals don't worry about it.

Next summer all HD programming is going to be Ka/MPEG4 on 99 & 103. So it's clear many of the tp's are going to be necessary so you can get up to 150 national HD including your locals in HD. So most of the tp's are important to peak, so you won't have any headaches next year.

curious

Just about everything being beamed off of the 99 is a spotbeam, meaning the beams may be aimed at you, or aimed in a completely different direction. The only beam that need read high numbers would be yours, and if you have transponder 2 at 96 I'd say it is probably aimed correctly.

There are other reasons not to mount on vinyl siding, and even if it is secure I would never have done it in the first place, regardless of the customers insistence.

What would be the other reasons not mounting on vinyl?

Hd Locals

In New York, south of Albany..

Vinyl Siding FYI

What would be the other reasons not mounting on vinyl?

Having installed siding on numerous buildings, vinyl siding is designed to expand and contract in heat and cold. If you were to install dish mast and supports in the cold (siding is contracted) when the temp warms up, the siding will expand and possibly buckle. In the other extreme, if installed in the heat the opposite could happen and crack the siding in the cold temp. You may never have these problems, it all depends on how the individual siding panels were/are installed. I've had to repair many in both cases not only from dish installs but telephone NIU's, CATV, Hose hangers.....But hey! easy money! Good Luck

Next summer all HD programming is going to be Ka/MPEG4 on 99 & 103. So it's clear many of the tp's are going to be necessary so you can get up to 150 national HD including your locals in HD. So most of the tp's are important to peak, so you won't have any headaches next year.

Tech007? Is that you? What source do you have to sight that current MPEG2 HD channels like HBO, Discovery or ESPN will all be moved to Ka MPEG4 next summer making all other non-MPEG4 HD units useless? Please post those sources?

Although I can feel your pain, it is important to note that your contracted install is likely being done by a LOCAL CONTRACTOR, not any DirecTV employee. Be sure to give your feedback about that contractor to DirecTV NICELY, so that you can help them improve or maybe lose that company; to help out your fellow neighbors.

Although I can feel your pain, it is important to note that your contracted install is likely being done by a LOCAL CONTRACTOR, not any DirecTV employee. Be sure to give your feedback about that contractor to DirecTV NICELY, so that you can help them improve or maybe lose that company; to help out your fellow neighbors.

How did the install screw up?
Install are still routed out by D*. D* isn't perfect in their scheduling. If you read correctly the installer didn't want to install on the vinyl siding which is a No No pretty much everywhere. So in reality the guy told the tech to install a dish in a place that may could cause him problems later on, and the customers supplied slimline dish to use instead of the AT9 the tech had. That dish could be defective. It could have been part of the batch that needed a 6X8 to work correctly.

Install are still routed out by D*. D* isn't perfect in their scheduling. If you read correctly the installer didn't want to install on the vinyl siding which is a No No pretty much everywhere. So in reality the guy told the tech to install a dish in a place that may could cause him problems later on, and the customers supplied slimline dish to use instead of the AT9 the tech had. That dish could be defective. It could have been part of the batch that needed a 6X8 to work correctly.

I'd much rather have the dish installed on the siding, than on the roof and have the possibility of having a leak in the roof.
Who is responsible if the roof leaks ?
The homeowner or the installation company or D* ?
I refused to let them install on my roof, I knew thats what they would want to do, so I set up a pole instead.

Jimbo

I'd much rather have the dish installed on the siding, than on the roof and have the possibility of having a leak in the roof.
Who is responsible if the roof leaks ?
The homeowner or the installation company or D* ?
I refused to let them install on my roof, I knew thats what they would want to do, so I set up a pole instead.

Jimbo

That's a person choice, but siding will(can) crack. Water can enter through holes in the siding and now you wall has water damage. Now who is responsible? You did the right thing. Got yourself a pole and now you don't have a risk. My slimline, Dishpro 1000 and international dish are all on poles.

Well I also got my Slimline today, from a local satellite dealer and paid $65.00 cash for it. I never have any installer do my dishes, I always do em myself which makes it very fun too. :D

Now I just have to wait for the high winds in the L.A area to calm down a bit :hatsoff:

If anyone in L.A needs the info on where to purchase locally with no shipping involved, shoot me a PM with your email address and I will send info.

I am not the one that claimed anyone screwed up; I simply stated if he has install issues he needs to get them ironed out with the LOCAL guy not DirecTV. If that local guy does bad work THEN call DirecTV , but to help weed those bad guys out, not to crap on DirecTV; they are not doing the actual install.

Checked Signal Again..

On Sat 99. TS 1-8 77,99,95,96,63,99, na, na

On Sat 103. Now I'm getting something: TS 1-8 0,0,98,83,96,75,na,na

Guess everything is working fine..

Couldn't mount to roof, metal

Couldn't mount to pole, tree problem

Either vinyl siding or nothing, vinyl it was, 3LNB dish mounted in same spot had no problems.. see how it goes..

I can see an owner wanting to mount where ever they want withing LoS, but I have seen many dishes mounted on metal and even in concrete and brick with ZERO issues; so was this a choice of yours or were you told he can't do it or wouldn't do it?

His part

I can see an owner wanting to mount where ever they want withing LoS, but I have seen many dishes mounted on metal and even in concrete and brick with ZERO issues; so was this a choice of yours or were you told he can't do it or wouldn't do it?

He wouldn't mount to metal roof, pole was out due to trees in the way blocking signal. I'm happy with the slimline on the house. its in the same spot as the PhaseIII.

I am not the one that claimed anyone screwed up; I simply stated if he has install issues he needs to get them ironed out with the LOCAL guy not DirecTV. If that local guy does bad work THEN call DirecTV , but to help weed those bad guys out, not to crap on DirecTV; they are not doing the actual install.

problem was the local guy didn't do anything wrong. The slimline dish he bought. So he assumes as responsibility for the dish. His dish, his choice for the vinyl siding. His problem. You said the "it is important to note that your contracted install is likely being done by a LOCAL CONTRACTOR"

and "Be sure to give your feedback about that contractor to DirecTV NICELY, so that you can help them improve or maybe lose that company"

Why leave feedback for a guy installing a dish that the sub wanting to use which is not warrantied , and guy informing him of potential problem of having his this placed on vinyl siding. Look like the guy was doing his job and op didn't like it.

Again, I said:

"If that local guy does bad work THEN call DirecTV".

and

If your reasoning is the correct assumption of what happened, there is obviously no need to call, but only the home owner can make that final call; we only have opinions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)