Slimline Installed, Finally!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That's a person choice, but siding will(can) crack. Water can enter through holes in the siding and now you wall has water damage. Now who is responsible? You did the right thing. Got yourself a pole and now you don't have a risk. My slimline, Dishpro 1000 and international dish are all on poles.

If it were my place, skip that,I just mentioned what I did.
I have done enough siding, so I know if I needed to, I could replace it with out too much trouble.
But thats me, not everyone can do that .

Jimbo

Again, I said:

"If that local guy does bad work THEN call DirecTV".

and

If your reasoning is the correct assumption of what happened, there is obviously no need to call, but only the home owner can make that final call; we only have opinions.

Assumptions? He said in his 1st post to that was his slimline he bought, He told the installer to put it on his siding.
maybe you missed
"He didn't want to install it on the side of the house. I have vinyl siding and he said they are not suppose to do it. Due to leaving holes if I ever take it down and than I would be mad at him for putting it there in the first place. I told him I am not going anywhere. After sometime, he said ok.

And

"Good thing I bought the slimline myself, he only had AT9 on truck"

Looks like the dish he supplied not the tech. If his dish is defective who is to blame?

If it were my place, skip that,I just mentioned what I did.
I have done enough siding, so I know if I needed to, I could replace it with out too much trouble.
But thats me, not everyone can do that .

Jimbo

you would be surprise on a everyday bias on where people want dish's installed. the funny thing is not the people in rural areas. It's people living in urban places. D* IMO does a very bad job explaining stuff to people to where a dish can be installed. It was save installers and subs a lot of headaches.

I'd much rather have the dish installed on the siding, than on the roof and have the possibility of having a leak in the roof.
Who is responsible if the roof leaks ?
The homeowner or the installation company or D* ?
Jimbo

SO WHO is responsible if your roof leaks ?
Seeing they push to place these 5 LNB's onthe roof as the perferred location ?

Jimbo

Use mastic! Roofing leaking

I had an interesting install... the guy knew enough to the job and maybe then some.... I chose to have the dish mounted on the roof, over an eave, SW corner of house. I could have used a pole, chose not to that.

I asked the tech, if he had some kind of pitch, black-tar, mastic, tar sealer... you get the idea (hopefully)...

He said, no. I asked if he had some black tape sealer...

"Oh, Bishops Tape.... yeah, I have never used that stuff..."

It had mastic tape on the side of the box and it was NEW.

I get out my straight razor to cut it, never tear the stuff, it will degrade its sealing properties.

He learned a little and now he can ensure that when he drills into a roof with a layer of mastic between the roof and the antenna supports it wont leak.

If you do the install right then you shouldnt have problems...

Mount on siding, I would NEVER EVER NEVER think of that!!!! You created a water entry point, behind that siding is more than likely OSB wood or plywood. With expansion and contraction even the best sealent will degrade and no longer provide protection and you WILL have water damage. Termites love moist dark areas! Good luck... Between the money you saved on the antenna and the cost of a new mobile home you really made out.

Regards,
Tampa Satman

I had an interesting install... the guy knew enough to the job and maybe then some.... I chose to have the dish mounted on the roof, over an eave, SW corner of house. I could have used a pole, chose not to that.

I asked the tech, if he had some kind of pitch, black-tar, mastic, tar sealer... you get the idea (hopefully)...

He said, no. I asked if he had some black tape sealer...

"Oh, Bishops Tape.... yeah, I have never used that stuff..."

It had mastic tape on the side of the box and it was NEW.

I get out my straight razor to cut it, never tear the stuff, it will degrade its sealing properties.

He learned a little and now he can ensure that when he drills into a roof with a layer of mastic between the roof and the antenna supports it wont leak.

If you do the install right then you shouldnt have problems...

Mount on siding, I would NEVER EVER NEVER think of that!!!! You created a water entry point, behind that siding is more than likely OSB wood or plywood. With expansion and contraction even the best sealent will degrade and no longer provide protection and you WILL have water damage. Termites love moist dark areas! Good luck... Between the money you saved on the antenna and the cost of a new mobile home you really made out.

Regards,
Tampa Satman

actually behind that siding is 5 1/4 wood siding. company put vinyl on about 1 year ago. got tired of painting all the time.

old siding, house rap, 1 inch foam ins, vinyl. like I said Phase III was on vinyl before Slimline. I'm not worried about it..

Local installers may not be "employed" by D*, but to me ARE repersenting D* and therefore D* should be held accountable for anything the installers do. Which would be costly because most are DEE DEE DEE!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)