Slimline LNB on Sidecar Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChrisPC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
TN USA
I have a 2 year old AT9 (sidecar) dish, and my 99/103 signals have always been low. D* even called and told me that they'd fix it. They came yesterday, tweaked it, said everything was OK, and left. My Ka signals are still in the low 70s. I don't want to spend the time or money to get a whole new Slimline dish. I'm tempted to just buy a Slimline LNB and try it. Would it work?

I have a 2 year old AT9 (sidecar) dish, and my 99/103 signals have always been low. D* even called and told me that they'd fix it. They came yesterday, tweaked it, said everything was OK, and left. My Ka signals are still in the low 70s. I don't want to spend the time or money to get a whole new Slimline dish. I'm tempted to just buy a Slimline LNB and try it. Would it work?

Probably not. The dishes are different shapes. That's why the lnb's from them are spaced differently and are on different length arms.

I agree probably not. AT9 was made by several manufacturers, a Wistron dish would not work with an Andrews LNB so I doubt you could adapt an AU9 slimline LNB to work. I am surprised D* didn't just replace the AT9 with a Slimline I thought that was there current policy when there was signal problems with AT9.

I called the installation company back. Hopefully, they can come back and look at it.

Chris,
Normally if you have an old AT-9 and low signals, they will generally come out, see the old set up and replace it with the new Slimline.

Hopefully they will replace it when they come out this time.

Jimbo

I am curious as to why you think the signal would be higher with the slimline dish when I understand the AT9 dish to be slightly larger.

I don't know where you got your information, but from the posts I have read here, the AU9 will give you somewhat higher readings than the AT9.

I am curious as to why you think the signal would be higher with the slimline dish when I understand the AT9 dish to be slightly larger.

Originally, that was the theory. When the Slimline was released, that was proven wrong. The Slimline is smaller, but seems to focus the signal better, and is a bit easier to align.

Originally, that was the theory. When the Slimline was released, that was proven wrong. The Slimline is smaller, but seems to focus the signal better, and is a bit easier to align.

I'm not so sure the Slimline is any smaller than the AT9. It's shorter, but wider. My best guess it that they are within 5% of the same size.

I called the installation company back. Hopefully, they can come back and look at it.

They never returned my call. However, I found an email address for D* customer service on the forum. I got a call from them an hour later, but I was at work. I will call them tomorrow, and hopefully get a solution.

I'm not so sure the Slimline is any smaller than the AT9. It's shorter, but wider. My best guess it that they are within 5% of the same size.

We figured that out awhile back but I don't remember the answer.... the Slimline is a little smaller, but not by much.

Jimbo

AU9s = 731.25 sq in
AT9 = 752.25 sq in

The SlimLine is a touch smaller, however the LNB array is of a better design, seemingly better built and provides a more consistent and reliable signal across the board. Just because the AU9s has a smaller reflector, does not mean it provides lower signals. And that "side-car" deal can likely become or be knocked out of alignment; thus not getting perfect reflection off of the dish reflector; IMHO. I would prefer the SlimLine

Chris,
Normally if you have an old AT-9 and low signals, they will generally come out, see the old set up and replace it with the new Slimline.

Hopefully they will replace it when they come out this time.

Jimbo

I just emailed D* corporate and got a call back. I told them about my AT-9, and they said it should have been replaced. They're sending a tech Saturday to install a Slimline. :)

He came this morning and did a great job. 90+ on all sats! :) Apparently, the dish was loose, the monopoles were loose, and the fine tuning screw was bent. He tightened the monopoles, put in a new Slimline, and everything fell into place. He peaked it anyway just to make sure.

He came this morning and did a great job. 90+ on all sats! :) Apparently, the dish was loose, the monopoles were loose, and the fine tuning screw was bent. He tightened the monopoles, put in a new Slimline, and everything fell into place. He peaked it anyway just to make sure.

Cool,
Glad to see all is well now !

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)