Slimline reallignment question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elephant98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
Greetings. Long time reader, rare poster here.

Last week a DirecTV installer came out and put up a slimline dish on my home. I have the HR20-100. I recieve all of the MPEG 2 channels without any problems. I also receive most of the new MPEG 4 HD channels. However, I am having a bit of trouble picking up channels like CNN-HD, Big Ten HD, and one of the new Starz HD channels. One time I can tune into them with no problem. The next time time it says "searching for signal." From reading various threads on this site, I'm positive that both of my tuners and the converters are working properly and have narrowed down the problem to having low signal strength. My signal reading for the new satellite (103b ?) has some zeros, others are in the low 40's to high 70's.

Is this a simple adjustment that the installer can make by slanting the dish slightly in its current position, without having to move it to an entirely different place on my house (drilling more holes in the brick masonry in the process)? Thanks in advance.

Do you have any splitters/diplexers on your lines? You may already know this, but that's what my problem was. Tech came out and ran a new line for my OTA and everything is fine. You have to have seperate lines with no splitters/diplexers.

Do you have any splitters/diplexers on your lines? You may already know this, but that's what my problem was. Tech came out and ran a new line for my OTA and everything is fine. You have to have seperate lines with no splitters/diplexers.

Do I have a splitter? Yes, and no; but I don't think it is causing the problem.

I have two receivers on my big screen. One is an old Ultimate TV that I keep around for watching football because it has picture in picture. The other receiver is my HR20-100. So, when I am watching the NFL Sunday Ticket, I get the split screen action going and follow three games at the same time. I follow a fourth game on the computer using the new SuperFan feature. What can I say? I'm a football junkie!

Anyhow, I do have a splitter which initially ran one line into the OTA and other into the tuner on my HR20-100. Because of that, this tuner didn't work for Mpeg 4 HD at all as you stated. So, I decided to take one line that ran off the splitter and put it on my ultimate tv receiver, and keep the other line that runs off the splitter into my HR20-100's OTA input. I then took the unsplit line that previously went to the ultimate tv receiver and put it on the HR20 instead.

To recap, I now have a separate line for each tuner on my HR20; and, one line that splits to the tuner on the ultimate tv and for OTA to to the HR20. With this unique setup, I don't see how the splitter is affecting the HR20 at all. Because, I do have a separate line for each tuner on the HR20, and the problem persists even if I remove the split OTA line from the HR20.

If those are your signal strengths on sat 1 and sat 2 and you have excluded any problem with the receiver or BBCs, then your dish most likely needs some fine tuning. If you have strong signal on the 101 and/or there are no obstructions the dish should not need relocated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts