slimline self install - only even transponders?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mike523

Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
tennessee
i'm working on a slimline 3-lnb install at home and am having a heckuva time getting this thing zeroed in. in the signal strength tests i am getting high 90's on all the even numbered transponders on 101 and 0's on everything else. i keep trying to fine tune it but haven't been able to fix it. any suggestions off the top of anyone's head? i'm hoping this is a somewhat common issue and i'm doing something stupid that will be easy to correct...any help will be greatly appreciated.

i'm working on a slimline 3-lnb install at home and am having a heckuva time getting this thing zeroed in. in the signal strength tests i am getting high 90's on all the even numbered transponders on 101 and 0's on everything else. i keep trying to fine tune it but haven't been able to fix it. any suggestions off the top of anyone's head? i'm hoping this is a somewhat common issue and i'm doing something stupid that will be easy to correct...any help will be greatly appreciated.
I would check all fittings....The missing transponder either all evens or all odds is almost always a fitting or a dinged / bent cable. Next check the LNB.

Report back what happens.

Joe

I've tried a couple of different cables with no change in results. I pulled off the multi-lnb assembly and threw on a brand new single-lnb just for kicks and it also found satellite 101 with slightly lower numbers on the evens but still all zeroes on the odds. It seems like this would rule out the lnb being the culprit? Also while doing some aligning I got a hit a little ways further south-southwest and then I was pulling numbers on satellite 99 (BOTH odds and evens this time) but not getting a reading on any other satellite. It seems like if I am getting all these high 90's on the 101 then I should be aligned pretty good...

Can you post the signal strength numbers you are getting?

I'm using the H23-600 receiver. The thing is brand new... I'll reply with my transponder numbers in a little bit when I can get the tv back from my woman.

Ok, on satellite 101 I get the following
1-8 0-99-0-97-0-99-0-98
9-16 0-100-0-98-0-99-0-97
17-24 0-98-0-97-0-98-0-97
25-32 0-98-0-97-0-98-0-98

i get nothing on 110, 119, 99, or 103 (i think)
this is set as slimline 5 in the menu. when i set it as 3-lnb + 72.5 then i can also pull high 90s on satellite 72.5 and whatever the other 2 are with that setting.

I'd recommend you sort of back up a bit and look at the basics of your install to verify everything before you start replacing stuff.

- Line of sight is clear (not sorta clear)
- Top of the mast is 100% dead on level - all directions
- Monopoles are installed & mount is all rock solid.
- Coax is RG6 with good connectors
- Any wallplates or barrel conectors have blue ends

Then start again with your preset EL & skew
based on your zip input to the box:

- Nail the signal on 101 using AZ & EL adj only
- Lock down the AZ & EL bolts
- Adjust just the tilt for 103 to peak
- Go back & check 101 (Adj AZ/EL as needed to peak (small adjusts only!)

If you verify all of this, then it's gotta be hardware - not the install.

Edit: Make sure SL3 is selected in the box menu!

quick question, i already have 101 nailed down, how does adjusting tilt help me to get 103 from here?...and how do i do it?

The 101 is the apex of an arc for the 103 and 99 ... kind-of like the axle of a wheel .... the other birds are in an arc across the sky with your dish as the arc center. Nail the 101 and the others will fall into place by adjusting the tilt. You do it by slightly loosening the three bolts that secure the dish/arm assembly to the AZ/EL bracket and slightly rotating the dish/arm assembly about it's center.

The 101 is the apex of an arc for the 103 and 99 ... kind-of like the axle of a wheel .... the other birds are in an arc across the sky with your dish as the arc center. Nail the 101 and the others will fall into place by adjusting the tilt. You do it by slightly loosening the three bolts that secure the dish/arm assembly to the AZ/EL bracket and slightly rotating the dish/arm assembly about it's center.

To further explain, when you are pointed at 101 and tilt the dish to pick up 119, you should have the other satellites basically tuned in, since they are on the same arc. There is fine tuning necessary to get 99 and 103, though.

I agree with the previous poster, most of the time this is a cabling/connector problem, but do you have another receiver you could try? The even /odd selection is the done by switching the voltage from 13 to 18 volts to the LNB ( done by the receiver). Do you you have a meter of some sort? Some of those $5 ones from e-bay have can tell you if the receiver is sending an 18V or 13v DC current (I assuming you don't have a SWM setup) ( other than that those e-bay ones are useless). Any diplexers in your setup?

I agree with the previous poster, most of the time this is a cabling/connector problem, but do you have another receiver you could try? The even /odd selection is the done by switching the voltage from 13 to 18 volts to the LNB ( done by the receiver). Do you you have a meter of some sort? Some of those $5 ones from e-bay have can tell you if the receiver is sending an 18V or 13v DC current (I assuming you don't have a SWM setup) ( other than that those e-bay ones are useless). Any diplexers in your setup?

YES,

Diplexer or splitter? Be positive there are no splitters between the dish and the receiver.
+
The fitting / cable test is to use a different receiver and then runa jumper to bypass all cable and fittings between the dish and the receiver.

Joe

Unless you are running SWM equipment, no ordinary diplexers or splitters will work. If you are using SWM Tech, only use SWM approved ones.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)