Sling adapter or Joey for HD computer monitor?

blspence100

Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Texas
I am a current Directv customer who will be switching over to Dish shortly and I'm impressed with the knowledge base here.

Other than the $7 monthly savings over a Joey, is there any other reason to use a sling adapter to view HD sports on my HD monitor? My internet provider is Comcast and they provide a good, steady 6MB download and a 1MB upload. I also have Vonage phone service and 2 laptops that connect occasionally. My concern is that the sling will be fighting for bandwidth.

My plan, as of now, is to have a Joey connection for my monitor, which supports HDMI, rather than a sling adapter. I'm willing to pay the $7 monthly charge. What are your recommendations?

Definitely the joey route. Sling adapter will not only have bandwidth lag issues but if your ISP goes down for whatever reason then you're SOL at that tv. The only immediate advantage is no visible box but with the joey having a UHF remote & is mountable to a wall (ie behind the tv or in media room behind tv) its not that much of an advantage.
Also correct me if I'm wrong all, but sling adapter accesses tv2 on the VIP recievers and tv2 is generally SD only.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys

As others have said, Joey is probably your best bet. I do Sling to the computer in my office and get 4-8 Mb/s transfer rates with decent PQ but the interface is very slow and pretty buggy. The one advantage is that you use the computer as the interface rather than needing the remote as Joey would. Still, with the interface issues it's probably worth it.

Luckily, my monitor supports both HDMI and DVI so I can use DVI for computer applications and HDMI for input from the Joey. The computer wouldn't have to be on to watch tv input from the Joey HDMI cable.

Physical TV2 outputs are all SD. But the TV2 inputs, including tuners and the disk, can be HD and it will output via Sling Adapter in HD.

I would go with the Joey over the sling. That being said your ISP will only come into play when using sling outside of your home. Your Internet speeds will have no bearing on your homes internal network. Data that is passed inside your home is not dependent upon your ISP.

I'd go with a Monsoon Multimedia product, like a Vulkano Flow. I've used a Hava for years and it works great, much better than the Sling which I tried when I switched to E*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts