sling adapter technical question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

frozensnowmommy

Original poster
Hi! I am considering getting a subscription to Dish Network. Before I do, I have a very specific question that I need answered.

I want to occasionally use my service at a remote location. I would get the Sling Adapter for this purpose. My question is, can you utilize the feed from the Sling Adapter on another tv set? If not, and I feel it to my laptop and use the HDMI out to take the picture from the laptop to the tv, what will the picture quality be?

Thanks in advance for your help!

On your local LAN the bandwidth consumed will crank up to over 8Mbps in the Better or Best/HD settings. If your laptop has the muscle, this produces an excellent picture. If not, then the sound gets out of sync and the picture can get very jerky.

frozensnowmommy said:
and can I send the signal into another tv without the laptop?

No the sling adapter from dish pnly sends signal to a smartphone or pc.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

and can I send the signal into another tv without the laptop?

Now I'm unclear what the question is. The Sling Adapter works only with the 722 or 722k receivers. So, if you go with Dish and get a 722/k receiver, that is a dual-TV receiver. At home you would have independent control of each (of two) TV outputs. The TV1 output is HD, while the TV2 is SD.

If you start using the Sling Adapter, the TV2 output shows only a banner saying it's in use by a remote user. The remote user can actually be within the same house, or on the other side of the world. With adequate bandwidth, the picture can be HD wherever it is. But the video data stream is singular. You can only watch the Sling stream at one location at a time. This does not prevent you from watching anything locally in HD on your TV1 output.

The quality of sling video depends on your Internet upload speed. You can use sling on computer, laptop, tablets & smartphones. You can connect these devices to your tv.

dan188 said:
When watching at home can the sling adapter stream over my homenetwork or does it have to go out to the web then to my pc

Your Internet needs to be up for the sling to work. It still do some initializing over it & then once the streaming start your home network takes over.

You will know by the quality of the stream. For iPhone it uses about 2mbps on home network.

The quality of sling video depends on your Internet upload speed. You can use sling on computer, laptop, tablets & smartphones. You can connect these devices to your tv.

You can also sling to the Boxee Box and the Logitech Revue now but I don't think that it works with the Dish Sling adapter.

rajmarie said:
Your Internet needs to be up for the sling to work. It still do some initializing over it & then once the streaming start your home network takes over.

You will know by the quality of the stream. For iPhone it uses about 2mbps on home network.

So it wont affect my internet upload then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)