Sling Adapter Yes or No?

Hunter Mackenzie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
I reading all of the posts about the sling adapter it looks like its mixed reviews on its performance...when it works it is great but when it is bad it can be buggy at times problems with the receivers working with the adapter to the website causing problems... my question is would those who have it recommend it or take a pass on it till they fix some of the bugs...

I have the sling adapter + 722k receiver and it works 100% better than the 922 did with the same internet connection. Now if they would just release the sling extender so I could get tv 2 in hd , I would finally get some use out of the sling adapter.

had I to do over again, I would have only bought 1 sling adapter. I bought two, so that the two 722's could be accessed without issue regardless of who needed it ... but now realize It was a waste of the second 99 dollars to get.

Had I the foreknowledge I might have gotten one of the HD sling boxes, or looked for other technology to supplement.

I think it comes down to what your intents are .. inside the house, with the sling adapter is acceptible for the most part, however, if the dish site goes off line, or something goes wrong with your internet, you're out of luck using it.. which is not that often in my house, but still something that might make me think twice about getting something that doesn't need external controls (all slings do ... and from what I've read the slingboxes require additional monthly fee to use with the sling app software)

SO ... 99 bucks now, inside the house is fine, if going outside the house ... I would put it down as a crap shoot. I have accessed my sling outside the house, and did not get good performance on even the "Better" setting let alone that I've never been able to run on the HD setting for anything.

Lastly.. the numbers dish posts on line, and the piece of paper that come with the Sling Adapter ... for lack of better words are just lies. In house, I've never streamed less than 6 to 7 megs average on the "Better" setting, where the website & slip of paper with the unit suggest 150k for "cell", 1.5 meg for SD (which I equate to the "Better" setting since it doesn't actually *say* its SD) and then it says 3meg for HD ...

I have monitored network traffic for inhouse streaming .. I have not monitored traffic for external streaming (*yet*) and probably wont get a chance to test/monitor for some time.. but when I do I'll post info on that.

in any case .. good luck!

I love mine. But then again my 722k is at my moms, since my apartment has no line of sight for a dish. I use it almost daily, and the only time i have an issue is when my internet, or my moms internet has connection issues. Which isn't that often.

Now only if i could figure out how to play DVR recordings from my IPhone.

I own one and it drives me nuts. I rarely use it. It's OK for remote use on a smart phone, but getting it to work quickly or in HD locally is a serious PITA. Even my HTPC appears to be underpowered and only streams nicely for a few minutes at a time before something goes wrong. I'd wait at least until a Standalone Sling Player comes out to replace the ghastly DRA website interface. Ugh! I have played with the Sling Player 2.0.3508. but I haven't gotten it to go HD as yet.

What I'm used to is a Hava Platinum which is "only" DVD quality, but a very good DVD quality. Plus the player comes on right away without having to log in to anybody's website, works without any Internet involvement at all, streams to multiple LAN clients simultaneously, and allows you to record with the click of a button.

Surprised to hear so many people with issues. I guess a lot of it has to do with the quality of your internet connection... I have a sling pro-hd and sling both in and out of the house without any issue. Just last night I connected my HP laptop with display port to my neighbors Samsung via HDMI and watched the basketball game I had dvr'ed. Very cool tech...

Got mine today....722k and a Samsung Vibrant phone. LOVE it. I know its only been a day, but I played with it all day and had no issues.

I like it a lot. It depends on your internet connection from the laptop side. I find in my home, I am better off using my 2.4GHz network because I get a stronger signal than on my 5GHz network in certain areas of the house. Also, my newer laptops are more reliable in getting a connection than my older ones, although they usually work too. I have it working now on my Blackberry, again it's a bit finicky sometimes but still very handy in an airport or etc. The biggest downside is if the wife is watching in the family room while I am trying to watch something different from the airport :)

I use a stand alone with my D* service and love it. The slingplayer app for android was the most expensive app that I have bought ($30), but even at that price, i feel that I have gotten my money worth. Excellent device.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)