Sling Adaptor Field Reviews

I got the SA when it was introduced. It works beautifully with any computer, but I could only get live tv on my Sprint Evo until fairly recently. I uninstalled the phone app and downloaded and installed it again last week. I also read somewhere that disconnecting the SA from my 722 and reconnecting it could help, so I did that after I cold booted my 722. I have no idea what actually worked, but I can now play recordings or watch live tv on my phone with no problem.

For those who start the app on their phones and go right to the grid, I hit menu and DVR is one of my choices. The Android phone app seems to return to what was last being watched--live or DVR programs--when it's restarted.

It really is a great device, and with the SA I have no regrets about not getting a 922. I'm in an area where it's quite expensive to get faster internet speeds (only two choices--Charter or CenturyTel), so my speed isn't particularly fast, but it is acceptable even though I get some lag once in a while. :D

Good luck to those who are having difficulty!

To answer your questions.At one time for a few weeks my phone was able to connect with 3g.Just stopped one day.I agree about the the 3g working on my girl friend's phone.He claimed with the more powerful cpu on the I phone it could work there and not mine.

I did ask him to do it on his phone and he wasn't comfortable with that.He seemed willing if I came back to try on a phone from stock.Will stop by next week to try.
I'm running out of ideas.

Ron

I haven't checked the specs on the Cliq XT, but I'll bet it has a faster processor than my almost 3 year old iPhone 3g, and the iphone handles the video just fine, so I have my doubts that the Cliq can't support it.

Good luck with getting a chance to put the app on the salesman's phone next week, but perhaps by then the Cliq will be working for you anyway.

Yes, I've been having a bad time with the Android app for the last day or two. I am connecting fully with the DVR, according to the Green indicator, and I can access live programming via the Grid, but I can't get to any recordings on the DVR. I can't even see the list of recordings - I keep getting an error message every time - "Request Failed - error unknown". Ironic that I had this error condition on the first day after I got the Sling Adapter, and I haven't seen it since, up til now. I have a new Linksys E3000 Router coming tomorrow to replace my Belkin n+, and I'm hoping it will help to improve stability on the SA. I getting a bit frustrated with this. In the meantime, I may try clearing data on the app, and if that fails, reinstalling the app.

Update - I Power cycled the Droid X, cleared the Dish app data, removed and reinstalled the app in that order. None of those things helped.
Update 2 - I installed the Dish Remote App on my old 3g iphone, and tested it. It worked OK for recorded and live material. When I exited and returned to the Droid X, the problem is still there. Hmmmm

Has your Linksys E3000 arrived yet? and have you had time to compare it to your old Belkin? Been thinking about purchasing the 3000.

Has your Linksys E3000 arrived yet? and have you had time to compare it to your old Belkin? Been thinking about purchasing the 3000.

Yes, it came yesterday, and its all installed and running. The main reason I replaced the Belkin n+ was that I was drowning in cryptic Attack messages in the Security Log recently. The documentation on the Belkin is very poor with respect to the log messages, and their description of the amber blinking security light is completely bogus - so I wasn't able to really get a grasp on whether I should have been panicked, or not. I also didn't like the fact that the Belkin displayed way too much system information in the base screen, which is available without signon or password.

So far, I'm quite happy with the E3000. It has all of the features I wanted, and looks pretty future-proof, with simultaneous dual-band capability. My Droid X automatically activates to the 5 ghz band. I'm getting a bit better signal strength on the 2.4 ghz band to my laptop than I had with the Belkin. The E3000 hasn't shown a single Security Log entry in over 24 hours. I've come to the conclusion that the activity reported by the Belkin was real, but that it represents scanning probe activities by hackers, and that it is unfortunately just business as usual, unavoidable if you are on the web, and that Linksys decided that as long as the router can lock down that activity, what would be the point of reporting every single occurrence? Anyway, that's my theory, and it may be totally bogus, but I'm not going to worry about it until Linksys reports an issue.

I like to use Reserved IP address assignments in the router, rather than fixed addresses in the client, and the Belkin was limited to only 10 addresses. That point was undocumented, and the router didn't make it clear when an attempt was made to add an 11th. I was able to set up 12 addresses on the E3000, which was all I wanted, and I don't know what the limit is. I also like the QOS priority setup. I was able to assign higher priority to more critical channels, like my Cell Extender.

I mounted my E3000 on the wall behind my monitor, so that it doesn't use up valuable desk space. It's easy to see the LED indicators, give the antenna a little more height, and keeps the cable clutter to a minimum. It also runs a bit warm, and I think that vertical arrangement might help to let heat rise away from the unit.

The one oddity with the E3000 is that they provide a CD installation which does help for a quick install, but it isn't completely synced with the browser based access. The CNET review explains this in detail, so I won't try to duplicate that here. It's not a big deal, as long as you understand the interaction, and I don't expect to ever have to go back to the CD anyway.

I have pretty much everything working properly, including security cameras with DynDNS service, a Synology drive, the PCs, the 722 & Sling Adapter, network printers, etc. The only issue left is the second 722, which I can't get to. It looks like it has 2 different IPs tangled up, and I need to power reset it, I think, to resolve it. I'll do it tonight, after my wife is ready to let go of the TV.

The Sling Adapter didn't work for me initially from 3g access. At first, I thought it might require a port forwarding, but after a couple of hours, it started working fine, and has been pretty reliable for the last 24 hours. It's possible there was some kind of network problem going on when I first tried it. I know the problem I had a few days ago cleared itself without me doing anything at all. It's hard to know what really is going on behind the scenes with support of this product, but I guess it's OK to speculate about cause and effect.

Funny thing was that I caught almost identical protests from my wife and my grandson, who each wanted to know why I'm always buying routers. They're right of course, but it's too hard to explain the reasons, except for my concerns about the Security Log issue on the Belkin.

Bottom line is that I'm happy with the E3000.

Last edited:
If I have a Sling Pro HD box and a 722, can I use the Sling Pro HD in place of the Sling adapter and still be able to watch TV through my iphone and ipad? If so, does anyone have specific instructions on how to do this. I was able to get it recognized, but when I click watch TV on iphone I get a connection failure message. Could anyone help me? I'd appreciate any help guys. Thanks

Yes, it came yesterday, and its all installed and running. The main reason I replaced the Belkin n+ was that I was drowning in cryptic Attack messages in the Security Log recently. The documentation on the Belkin is very poor with respect to the log messages, and their description of the amber blinking security light is completely bogus - so I wasn't able to really get a grasp on whether I should have been panicked, or not. I also didn't like the fact that the Belkin displayed way too much system information in the base screen, which is available without signon or password.

So far, I'm quite happy with the E3000. It has all of the features I wanted, and looks pretty future-proof, with simultaneous dual-band capability. My Droid X automatically activates to the 5 ghz band. I'm getting a bit better signal strength on the 2.4 ghz band to my laptop than I had with the Belkin. The E3000 hasn't shown a single Security Log entry in over 24 hours. I've come to the conclusion that the activity reported by the Belkin was real, but that it represents scanning probe activities by hackers, and that it is unfortunately just business as usual, unavoidable if you are on the web, and that Linksys decided that as long as the router can lock down that activity, what would be the point of reporting every single occurrence? Anyway, that's my theory, and it may be totally bogus, but I'm not going to worry about it until Linksys reports an issue.

I like to use Reserved IP address assignments in the router, rather than fixed addresses in the client, and the Belkin was limited to only 10 addresses. That point was undocumented, and the router didn't make it clear when an attempt was made to add an 11th. I was able to set up 12 addresses on the E3000, which was all I wanted, and I don't know what the limit is. I also like the QOS priority setup. I was able to assign higher priority to more critical channels, like my Cell Extender.

I mounted my E3000 on the wall behind my monitor, so that it doesn't use up valuable desk space. It's easy to see the LED indicators, give the antenna a little more height, and keeps the cable clutter to a minimum. It also runs a bit warm, and I think that vertical arrangement might help to let heat rise away from the unit.

The one oddity with the E3000 is that they provide a CD installation which does help for a quick install, but it isn't completely synced with the browser based access. The CNET review explains this in detail, so I won't try to duplicate that here. It's not a big deal, as long as you understand the interaction, and I don't expect to ever have to go back to the CD anyway.

I have pretty much everything working properly, including security cameras with DynDNS service, a Synology drive, the PCs, the 722 & Sling Adapter, network printers, etc. The only issue left is the second 722, which I can't get to. It looks like it has 2 different IPs tangled up, and I need to power reset it, I think, to resolve it. I'll do it tonight, after my wife is ready to let go of the TV.

The Sling Adapter didn't work for me initially from 3g access. At first, I thought it might require a port forwarding, but after a couple of hours, it started working fine, and has been pretty reliable for the last 24 hours. It's possible there was some kind of network problem going on when I first tried it. I know the problem I had a few days ago cleared itself without me doing anything at all. It's hard to know what really is going on behind the scenes with support of this product, but I guess it's OK to speculate about cause and effect.

Funny thing was that I caught almost identical protests from my wife and my grandson, who each wanted to know why I'm always buying routers. They're right of course, but it's too hard to explain the reasons, except for my concerns about the Security Log issue on the Belkin.

Bottom line is that I'm happy with the E3000.

Thank You, I appreciate you taking the time to respond, I need a range extender and based on what I have read (at least what I can find so far) there aren't any N-extenders for the linksys, several different G's, Talking to the Geek sqaud guy at best buy he wasn't aware of a N-extender by Linksys, I guys it's possible one of the other brands is compatible, but from what I read the Net Gear might not be. (He maybe not informed as well).

I haven't ever used a Wi-Fi range extender, so I don't know about that. Too bad you can't relocate the router to an area closer to your Wi-Fi connects, so that you could avoid that requirement.

I did, however, want to follow up on the comment I made about my initial inability to access my second 722 with the newly installed E3000. I made an interesting discovery that there is apparently an internal URL address in the 722 that can be seen in Windows via Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network Map. By right-clicking on the icon for the 722, and Properties, it displays a URL like http://192.168.1.103:XXXXX/dishnetwork.com, where XXXXX represents a number that I expect is a unique ID for my device (or a port address?). On my second 722, which I couldn't access, it showed a transitional IP address that it must have picked up while I was setting up the E3000, but that was no longer valid. Despite that fact, the DVR Broadband Setup test had run clean, and the E3000 had showed the DVR on the correct IP, but in fact it was still completely inaccessible via Remote Access.

I did a power plug pull reset on the 722, and since it rebooted, that internal address shows correctly, and everything is well. If you do change routers, I highly recommend that you do the same on your 722/s, after you configure the router.

I'm very happy with how the Remote Access and Sling Adapter operation is now functioning via my Droid X and browser. So far, I've not had to go through the multiple 2, 3, 4, or 5 logins I had experienced with the Belkin just to connect with either or both of my 722's, and performance and responsiveness with the SA is much improved.

Last edited:
I haven't ever used a Wi-Fi range extender, so I don't know about that. Too bad you can't relocate the router to an area closer to your Wi-Fi connects, so that you could avoid that requirement.

I did, however, want to follow up on the comment I made about my initial inability to access my second 722. I made an interesting discovery that there is apparently an internal URL address in the 722 that can be seen in Windows via Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network Map. By right-clicking on the icon for the 722, and Properties, it displays a URL like http://192.168.1.103:XXXXX/dishnetwork.com, where XXXXX represents a number that I expect is a unique ID for my device (or a port address?). On my second 722, which I couldn't access, it showed a transitional IP address that it must have picked up while I was setting up the E3000, but that was no longer valid. Despite that fact, the DVR Broadband Setup test had run clean, and the E3000 had showed the DVR on the correct IP, but in fact it was still completely inaccessible via Remote Access.

I did a power plug pull reset on the 722, and since it rebooted, that internal address shows correctly, and everything is well. If you do change routers, I highly recommend that you do the same on your 722/s, after you configure the router.

I'm very happy with how the Remote Access and Sling Adapter operation is now functioning via my Droid X and browser. So far, I've not had to go through the multiple 2, 3, 4, or 5 logins I had experienced with the Belkin just to connect with either or both of my 722's, and performance and responsiveness with the SA is much improved.

Thanks

So I got it to work, see post #185, but I can't change the channels on my iphone/pad. All it shows me is live TV. When I try to watch something pre-recorded from the DVR it still just shows me live TV. The only way I can change the channel is if I actually use the remote. Any thoughts?

I just ran my iPhone, then the Droid X successfully, playing recordings, going back to live broadcasts, switching between live channels and back to recorded, all on the same login on each device, so maybe things have improved on the network. Are you still having the problem with the iPhone & iPad?

Went to T-Mobile and tried it on another phone of theirs with the same reults. I noticed a post about someone with the same problem and they have someone from Dish on here who's looking to the problem for him. I've pm'd him asking him to do the same for me. We'll see what happens.

Ron

While my Sling Adapter is working better than ever, generally, I noticed yesterday and today that I can't delete recordings from the Droid X, or the iPhone 3g. I just get an "Unknown Error" on either device.

I don't see that problem via browser. I don't know if the problem has been around for a longer time, or not, but it has been solid failing for me for at least 24 hours. Anybody else seeing this, or not?

There is a new Android DRA app available on the Android Market: V1.1. It seems to have fixed the audio sync problems I saw on 1.0.0.1 with my Samsung Behold 2. But I'm still having severe buffer overrun problems (jerky/halting playback) and it's only running about 1Mbps over my wifi network.

Will a sling link and adaptor work on an internet service through Verizon that is a "mifi hotzone", ie air card set up? The modem/router is picking up signal from a cell tower and not through a cable or phone line. Speed is about 1.22 mbps down. Would like to view over Droid phone. Thanks in advance.

I am using a 722k networked to a Verizon Aircard/router combo and have noticed choppy video playback immediately after launching the Slingplayer app on my Android phone but then it seems to optimize itself and the video quality soon gets better. I have not tested the PC player yet to see how well it performs.

I previously streamed live TV through the same network setup using Orb and it would play fine on both PCs or phones. I'm hoping the Sling adapter will work as well overall as Orb did - it is much less of a hassle to set up.

Has anyone gotten a Blackberry to work with the SA? I was able to install software but it is asking me for a Sling ID which I cannot find. TIA

So far my laptops work well with the SA, although my Core Duo 1.66GHz machine is not as reliable as the other more powerful laptops in getting or maintaining the connection. I have not yet tried from remote (outside my home network) but I am hoping with a good laptop, it will work fine. Having it run on my Blackberry would be nice too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts