Sling Extender Gets FCC Approval

It just goes through DISHonline so it knows which slingbox to connect to. Other then that everything else is kept on your local network.

It just goes through DISHonline so it knows which slingbox to connect to. Other then that everything else is kept on your local network.

Yeah I realize that, but dishonline.com has not been the most reliable method of contacting a sling box. People will expect this to be a reliable as a normal TV2. Not a try several times to connect and maybe you get lucky roulette.

There of course is the advantage for those that want to take Dish with them to a second house.

mike123abc said:
Yeah I realize that, but dishonline.com has not been the most reliable method of contacting a sling box. People will expect this to be a reliable as a normal TV2. Not a try several times to connect and maybe you get lucky roulette.

There of course is the advantage for those that want to take Dish with them to a second house.

Well maybe, it can remember the last receiver it was connected to. They had to build some kind of redundancy in this thing in the event that DISHOnline is down. Let's not criticize it until we have it in our hot little hands (Or at least Scott's) and put it through the ringer.

IMHO, this thing is going to cost at least $200. OUCH! As much as I want, lust for and NEED (cut my additional DVR box cost) this device, considering the Sling Adapter is $100, this thing's gotta be priced higher than that. For this to work for those of us who don't have a 922, we have to invest in both pieces of equipment. Or I could upgrade to a 922 for $200 and buy the Extender for its unannounced price. Let's hope the combined cost of either option isn't equivalent to buying a new DVR 722 or "K" at full retail. Yes, a savings from the monthly fee, at least. I hope I'm wrong and it is really affordable.

Did I read the manual correct that wireless is not built in? Looks like another $25 for a wireless adapter that is currently "out of stock"

Guess it's time to get the box of Cat5 out for another network connection.

Scott thats nice, but I hope it is not what you mean by multi room viewing possibly comming soon this year. That would stink to have to buy sling equipment to do multi room, when you don't have to buy any equipment for Directv.
No this is not it. ;)

It has wireless built in. It supports up to Wireless N. :)
Again, are you sure cause that's not what the manual says. I remember when it was first announced way back when, they said it was going to have wireless, but it's not looking like it is now. It specifically mentions DISH's wireless adapter. (Which I must have hit the site at the right time as I ordered one two weeks ago.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts