Sling Extender Gets FCC Approval

You receiver is not wireless though. You will need a wireless adapter for your receiver or have it hooked up direct with ethernet.

I think wireless is pointless anyways as N is generally not fast enough in the real world to stream descent HD unless you are in the next room or have a very good router. Just run Cat5e to where you want your TV2 and be done with it, 100X reliable and wont have issues like with homeplug or wireless.

What does this thing do?

If this is not the adapter for viewing HD on TV2 what is it for? You have the Sling adapter for the 722 which will alow you to sling to an Iphone or computer somewhere. As I understand for the upcoming "Sling Catcher" you need the Sling adapter on a 722 and the Sling catcher on TV2 to watch HD on TV2 or you need a 922 and a Sling Catcher.

So what is this thing and what role does it play or do I not understand things?

I think wireless is pointless anyways as N is generally not fast enough in the real world to stream descent HD.

I stream VUDU "HDX" (1080p) without issue over 2.4ghz Wireless N. $70 Dlink router on the other side of the house. Can't say I've never had any stutter issues, but I don't remember any. Admittedly though, we generally don't have much competing for wireless bandwidth (most of the house is wired) when watching a movie. "Regular" TV might be different.

I stream VUDU "HDX" (1080p) without issue over 2.4ghz Wireless N. $70 Dlink router on the other side of the house. Can't say I've never had any stutter issues, but I don't remember any. Admittedly though, we generally don't have much competing for wireless bandwidth (most of the house is wired) when watching a movie. "Regular" TV might be different.

Resolution != bitrate. I bet I could create a video that is 1080p resolution that would stream over a sub-1mbit connection. It'd look like crap, but technically it'd be 1080p. Since I'm sure Sling is using something along the lines of H.264, wireless N will probably be ok. And another feather in the cap for Sling over something like DirecTV's MRV is that Sling technology adapts the stream based on bandwidth available, meaning instead of it just not working, you'll get a lower bitrate and degraded picture quality. I had DirecTV's MRV when it was in testing before they had their coax networking, and if you had a sub-standard network or tried to do it over wireless it just straight wouldn't work.

Wait a minute, I just watched Scott's video wrap-up of CES, and the guy from Sling says this will be compatible with the 722k/Sling Adapter combo "in the next version". Does that mean in the next software revision, or does it mean that when this comes out it's only going to work with the 922, and the 722 is going to require a hardware revision?

Resolution != bitrate.

Obviously.

The VUDU HDX stuff is looks like its running about 5-8mbps from a quick and dirty look at my router stats. The VUDU HDX test is at 9mbps. The image is visibly better quality than anything Dish puts out.

One thing the Sling extender has against it though is that the wireless is not built in, it will be using the same USB dongle the VIP receivers use, which from my tests is just not a very good adapter..

Last edited:
Just FYI a few of the Sling Extender beta testers emailed me yesterday letting me know that their beta units do NOT do wireless, but admitted they may have earlier units.

My comments on the box having wireless comes from Sling and was echoed in the demo video by their project manager so I am very hopeful it will have wireless support at release.

Is this extender going to allow you to watch television in a different room from a television set? Is it going to allow you to use a Dish Network remote control to change the channels? Or is this just going to allow you to watch it on a computer screen? Does it have the UHF/IR remote control functionality in the sling extender itself to change channels with the antenna (a connection on the back of the sling extender box for an antenna where the tv connections are at as well)? Is this only going to work on certain satellite receivers or all of them?

Is this extender going to allow you to watch television in a different room from a television set? Is it going to allow you to use a Dish Network remote control to change the channels? Or is this just going to allow you to watch it on a computer screen? Does it have the UHF/IR remote control functionality in the sling extender itself to change channels with the antenna (a connection on the back of the sling extender box for an antenna where the tv connections are at as well)? Is this only going to work on certain satellite receivers or all of them?

I think all of those answers are in this thread, but to recap: This lets you watch the Sling output from any Sling-enabled receiver (922 or 722 w/Sling Adapter). It has HDMI, Component, and Composite outputs so you can watch it on any display (monitor, TV, projector) with those inputs. It has a UHF Dish remote that will control the Sling output as if it were a Slingplayer app or the Dish website.

I was hoping it was a device that would work with any device (cable box, Directv, any Dish Network receiver) that would work on a home network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)