Sling extender

The 721 was not buggy. They got it running well. I liked the way it operated on all 6 or 7 that floated thru my home. Bad HDDs or power supplies. It was withdrawn as part of the TiVo war.

The discontinuation of the sling extender would be a very disappointing development. I was looking forward to at least having it as an option to feed HD to what is currently TV2 on my 722K.

If it only worked for the 922, I would then consider upgrading to that. $4/month extra for TV2 in HD and a better guide would be worth it in my book. $4/month extra for just a better guide is not.

There is a thread with a video demo of a googletv sling app. It looks impressive, but was obviously using a slingbox and not a 922 or adapter. Since the 922 and adapter don't sling the menus and overlays they would have to re-create at least a sub set of the menu and guide functionality in software.

They've already done some of that with DishOnline, but can you imagine trying to navigate the dishonline guide, etc with a remote? No doubt it can be done, hopefully they have the will too it well.

I'd imagine that most people ave Revue units at TVs where they already have receivers (especially if they are paying the integration fee). So I really don't see this as a completely viable alternative to the sling extender, unless the expectation is that people will buy additional units to take advantage of such functionality at their TV2 locations.

And, there would be no need to navigate the Dish online guide with the remote. You could just use the UHF remote as is to control TV2 since you should still be in range of the UHF signal. The only thing people would have to take into account is the delay slinging the signal builds into the transmission. So use DVR functionality will take a little more effort.

I'd imagine that most people ave Revue units at TVs where they already have receivers (especially if they are paying the integration fee). So I really don't see this as a completely viable alternative to the sling extender, unless the expectation is that people will buy additional units to take advantage of such functionality at their TV2 locations.
For $99, it's a non-issue.

And, there would be no need to navigate the Dish online guide with the remote. You could just use the UHF remote as is to control TV2 since you should still be in range of the UHF signal. The only thing people would have to take into account is the delay slinging the signal builds into the transmission. So use DVR functionality will take a little more effort.
Dish Online works better for streaming video than the 722/612. So, that would be a bonus, as well. And, with al of the other GTV apps, it would be a complete one-box STB solution for many with their 2nd and 3rd TV's.

And, there would be no need to navigate the Dish online guide with the remote. You could just use the UHF remote as is to control TV2 since you should still be in range of the UHF signal.

I think the TV2 remote is disabled when slinging, but even if it worked you would be doing everything "blind." The 922 and adapter do not sling any of the menus, overlays, etc, only the source video stream.

I think the TV2 remote is disabled when slinging, but even if it worked you would be doing everything "blind." The 922 and adapter do not sling any of the menus, overlays, etc, only the source video stream.

I didn't realize it was disabled. I knew the TV2 feed was disabled, I don't sling enough in the house and have never had the opportunity to test the remote before.

Unbelievable! (I mean that rhetorically.) This is another reason to give up, sling the Sling Adapter where it belongs, and go back to my trusty Hava Platinum. Do you know if it's even possible to overlay the menus on the digital stream, or is this done in our receivers only after analog conversion :(

Do you know if it's even possible to overlay the menus on the digital stream, or is this done in our receivers only after analog conversion :(

I don't know, but doubt they could do the overlays with the adapter. I would assume the overlays are all done within the display chip. Even if they could pipe the final image output to the usb port the result would be raw, uncompressed image data which would likely be too much for USB to reliably handle at HD resolutions.

Unbelievable! (I mean that rhetorically.) This is another reason to give up, sling the Sling Adapter where it belongs, and go back to my trusty Hava Platinum. Do you know if it's even possible to overlay the menus on the digital stream, or is this done in our receivers only after analog conversion :(

Monsoon (hava) realy dosent support there older stuff....another horse crap company...How soon will the original Vulcano be suported??

The 721 was not buggy. They got it running well. I liked the way it operated on all 6 or 7 that floated thru my home. Bad HDDs or power supplies. It was withdrawn as part of the TiVo war.

I call having the hard drives fail and losing all my recordings multiple times on all three of the 721s I had at the time: Buggy. But that's just me. Doesn't matter , the point is that the entire concept of the 721 /921 was abandoned and they went the ViP way and name based recording became the biggest improvement. The 922dvr I am predicting, will have the same future as the 721/921: abandoned.

You used to be able to see the 922's menus and were able to navigate them early on using a pop-up remote via Dish Remote Access website or the Sling Mobile apps. Over time they've limited how many remote functions you had access too.

I call having the hard drives fail and losing all my recordings multiple times on all three of the 721s I had at the time: Buggy. But that's just me. Doesn't matter , the point is that the entire concept of the 721 /921 was abandoned and they went the ViP way and name based recording became the biggest improvement. The 922dvr I am predicting, will have the same future as the 721/921: abandoned.

Mike, I think you're really misrepresenting what happened to these boxes. Just because you had issues with the 721, like you did with the 922, doesn't mean that everyone did as other people have mentioned. Like navychop said, the 721/921 was pulled in 2008 because of the Tivo lawsuit. Before that DISH had been rolling out updates for the 721 box for FIVE years. The 921 was supported with software updates for four years. Those don't sound like an "abandoned" products to me. If the 922 is still supported with firmware updates for the same five years from release, I think that sounds about right. The way you spin it- It makes it sound like these boxes were pulled from shelves after a year on a market.

If anything, this is evidence to support my theory that the 922 is the first box that runs DISH's newest version of receiver software that will be taking forward. Especially since we know that the 813 is going to be based on that same software. So I guess I'm saying that the 721/921 are kinda like the 922 in that the software that those two receivers were running became the basis for the other VIP series receivers that came after it.

Last edited:
You used to be able to see the 922's menus and were able to navigate them early on using a pop-up remote via Dish Remote Access website or the Sling Mobile apps. Over time they've limited how many remote functions you had access too.

Cool. I thought it might be possible on the 922 where all the chips are on the same board and no USB to contend with.

I would like to think I am wrong about the adapter too, but I don't know why they would be jumping through so many hoops with DishOnline(and apparently the extender) if they could just sling the original 722 interface.

Cool. I thought it might be possible on the 922 where all the chips are on the same board and no USB to contend with.

I would like to think I am wrong about the adapter too, but I don't know why they would be jumping through so many hoops with DishOnline(and apparently the extender) if they could just sling the original 722 interface.
Well I think what they are trying to do is eliminate the lag time that happens when you press a button on the remote and when the box responds. It's enough of a lag that it would be real frustrating to control. Especially for people who don't completely understand what's happening and want to treat it like using the TV2 output that is back to the main box with coax. If the extender can pull guide/recorded TV data from the receiver it's Slinging content from and display that in it's own UI. It can respond much quicker. It can be really frustrating to navigate the guide remotely. (click...wait...click...wait...click...oh it didn't make it that time...click again...oh wait it did...click back)

I guess by reading here that the sling extender gives HD viewing on your second TV. mmmmmm I am a little apalled at this to begin with as they told me I would have two HD hook ups upon instalation since I have two HD tv's. When they came out to do the instalation, they had one HD box and piggy backed off this to the second tv and it was not HD. I was highy pissed since they lied to me before they even came out to install the system. They told me I coud get HD reception on the second tv with no problem for an additional $14.00 to buy a second HD box. What a joke.....

I wish you were wrong but I suspect you are right. The main reason there are so many hoops to jump through is they are trying to drive traffic to the hydra-head-in-the-cloud DishOnline where (they expect) we will spend money. Wrong in my case and probably many others. With such frustrating dysfunction on DO, why would anybody go there at all?

I gave up on the sling adapter. I switched to D* and got their whole home system. The H25 boxes are about the size of what the Extender was supposed to be all by themselves.

I did discover how to get the best deal from Dish if your contract has expired. Cancel. They will offer you about anything to get to to reconnect.

I just did the same thing, switched to D* with the whole house DVR system and am loving it. It was professionally installed and works great. I now have 3 HD TVs with full HD and all with access to the DVR. I just downloaded the CE software with HD UI on all the boxes and it is just as fast and looks nearly as good as the 922 guide and menus. I am gone and will never look back. So long E*.

rwzimm said:
I guess by reading here that the sling extender gives HD viewing on your second TV. mmmmmm I am a little apalled at this to begin with as they told me I would have two HD hook ups upon instalation since I have two HD tv's. When they came out to do the instalation, they had one HD box and piggy backed off this to the second tv and it was not HD. I was highy pissed since they lied to me before they even came out to install the system. They told me I coud get HD reception on the second tv with no problem for an additional $14.00 to buy a second HD box. What a joke.....

You can have a single tuner hd box at your 2nd tv for $7.00/month. And it is a lease not a purchase.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)