Sling extender

You used to be able to see the 922's menus and were able to navigate them early on using a pop-up remote via Dish Remote Access website or the Sling Mobile apps. Over time they've limited how many remote functions you had access too.

Mike, I think you're really misrepresenting what happened to these boxes. Just because you had issues with the 721, like you did with the 922, doesn't mean that everyone did as other people have mentioned. Like navychop said, the 721/921 was pulled in 2008 because of the Tivo lawsuit. Before that DISH had been rolling out updates for the 721 box for FIVE years. The 921 was supported with software updates for four years. Those don't sound like an "abandoned" products to me. If the 922 is still supported with firmware updates for the same five years from release, I think that sounds about right. The way you spin it- It makes it sound like these boxes were pulled from shelves after a year on a market.

If anything, this is evidence to support my theory that the 922 is the first box that runs DISH's newest version of receiver software that will be taking forward. Especially since we know that the 813 is going to be based on that same software. So I guess I'm saying that the 721/921 are kinda like the 922 in that the software that those two receivers were running became the basis for the other VIP series receivers that came after it.

As for the 721/921 PVRS, they are now defunct yes to the Tivo lawsuit. But my point was the whole software used , the Home menu , the guides etc were also Abandoned. They are no longer used. IF you had a great experience with them , good for you. IN my personal opinion and experience it was not a great experience when I got up in the morning to a failed hard drive on my little boys 721 and NO RECORDINGS possible. A 2 - 3 year old with out his Sponge Bob is not a happy boy.

As for the 922 interface, I imagine they will be using the software , menus, channel logos etc with the 813 Xip series of whole house dvr. But the 922 with Built in Sling , is not going to be produced any longer in ANY new line of receivers. DISH discovered they could do it cheaper and do Sling with existing class of Vip series of dvrs and it worked BETTER than the Built in 922. So I say again, in my opinion the 922 As a stand alone ,built in sling receiver , will not be reproduced in any later models , so it will too be Abandoned as a class of receiver. It has taken too many years to get it to market , and it still suffers from a lack of some basic features the older Vip series has . Blockbuster is one, soon to be rectified via software update this month ,supposedly. The manual timers and DISH pass timers can only be created online, not through the receiver. The whole concept of TV2 in HD using the sling extender, looks like it too will be Abandoned. DISH has once again moved on to the latest and greatest "cutting edge " high Tech Receiver , the 813 whole house dvr.

The 813 Xip series of dvr too will suffer from bugs and glitches and software problems , especially if they are based on the 922 series of receivers, minus the built in sling. So although you have had wonderful experiences with the 721/921pvr and the 922 dvrs, doesn't mean that everyone else has. Obviously since they are no longer selling the 721/921 or any other model after that with that software, menus ,guides ,etc and because the 922 dvr is now being issued minus the $200.00 upgrade fee, means to me that it too is being Abandoned for newer class of receivers: 813 XIP whole house dvr. This is a continuing cycle with DISH. They try to operate like Apple ,offering a newer class of receiver every year or two with the latest do dads that they think subs will want. Except with DISH , they can't ever get a receiver to market without the glitches , bugs , and general problems. Evidence by the long trail of failed abandoned class of older receivers like the Web tv/dishplayer 7100/7200 models, the 721/921 pvrs, the 942 dvr with name based recording and I truly loved that box. The 922 will now join the long list of now defunct receivers that are no longer being marketed and sold as cutting edge. Yes it will continue to get software updates as long as their isn't any lawsuits or problems like the older receivers I mentioned. But I don't see them marketing the 922 any longer as the best "flagship dvr". When the 813 comes out , that is all you will hear about with great promises of things it will do , and it too will fall short in it's delivery.

I guess after 15 years with DISH , you become jaded a bit. I am tired of being promised all these features that never come true. It is like DISH is a politician who never delivers on what it promises , except that they are the lesser of the two evils : Directv and Cable. So I continue to stay with them and pay my three accounts monthly. But it doesn't mean I have to shake my pom poms any longer. DISH promised too much with the 922 and didn't deliver and now they put the final nail in the coffin and it looks like no sling extender for tv 2 in hd either. The whole reason I wanted the 922 was so I could do HD on tv 2 in my home, NOT ON THE INTERNET. :mad:

welcome to dish home of the fees and dish needs to lower the dvr fees to compete with direct tv or they will continue to lose customers.yes i have both dish and direct.when my contract is up next year with both im going to decide on who can give me the best offer and my pocketbook.ive been with dish for almost 15 years and direct 4 years :)

Last edited:
I have to concur with the other posters. I got the 922 and it's extra fees to have TV2 be HD. How is DISH justifying the extra fee(s) when their are no features that the 722/k does not have?

you get snazzy UI on the 922...

I don't see why DISH can't port that snazzy interface to their existing Vip series of DVRs. Especially since DIRECTV just did software to their older dvrs that looks a lot like the 922 with tiles ,video art for the movies ,etc. If DIRECTV can do it , then why can't DISH/Echostar?

I don't see why DISH can't port that snazzy interface to their existing Vip series of DVRs. Especially since DIRECTV just did software to their older dvrs that looks a lot like the 922 with tiles ,video art for the movies ,etc. If DIRECTV can do it , then why can't DISH/Echostar?
Lots of reasons... everything from the cost of having your developers spend time recoding the UI to if the graphics chip is even capable of displaying that kind of UI. From what I remember, DISH has only done such a drastic transition once for the 3800/4700-series models. It could be that the code used to display the VIP series graphics isn't modular where you can swap things out. Given how long it takes for DISH to even come out with bug fixes and updates leads me to believe they have very limited resources when it comes to having their software engineers do anything.

And then, you can't even compare what Direct does to their boxes to DISH. We don't have any idea if any of the chips are the same or the software is any similar or if they are even written the same way. They may do the same thing in the end - take a signal off of a satellite and display it on a TV screen - but their process in doing so could be completely apples to oranges. There's no set standard.

welcome to dish home of the fees and dish needs to lower the dvr fees to compete with direct tv or they will continue to lose customers.yes i have both dish and direct.when my contract is up next year with both im going to decide on who can give me the best offer and my pocketbook.ive been with dish for almost 15 years and direct 4 years :)

I have to concur with the other posters. I got the 922 and it's extra fees to have TV2 be HD. How is DISH justifying the extra fee(s) when their are no features that the 722/k does not have?

My favorite is how they charge more for add'l DVR's vs non'DVR's even though they already charge a DVR fee.

Oh, I hope not. 922 looks pretty, but I've played with it pretty extensively and reasonably long term and actually prefer the 722 for everyday use.

Oh, I hope not. 922 looks pretty, but I've played with it pretty extensively and reasonably long term and actually prefer the 722 for everyday use.

I wouldn't mind having the channel logos and the video box art for my shows and movies. Those were the two things I miss about the 922. The rest of it , you can keep. I prefer the 722k more than the 922 over all , but I wouldn't mind an update to the menus ,guides etc to make it more up to date.

I just had a sling adapter delivered to my house. I got it to use with my iphone, but is there another use for it involving my 722k and HDTV on TV2?

For those of you that have been waiting for the Sling Extender the solution was just announced by SlingMedia.

I received an e-mail today from Sling Media saying you can now use a Sling Boxee Box to take the video from your SlingBox and run it into your TV. Doesn't say if it will work with the Sling adapter or not. Only mentions the two current model Sling Boxes.

Be interesting to see if they develop a channel for the Roku.

For those of you that have been waiting for the Sling Extender the solution was just announced by SlingMedia.

I received an e-mail today from Sling Media saying you can now use a Sling Boxee Box to take the video from your SlingBox and run it into your TV. Doesn't say if it will work with the Sling adapter or not. Only mentions the two current model Sling Boxes.

Be interesting to see if they develop a channel for the Roku.

No, this won't work for us. Only Slingbox Solo or Pro-HD same as the facebook player last week.

They call the 922 and Sling Adapter Sling products, but they don't work with other Sling products, which to me makes them NOT be Sling products.

Example as of today there is a Slingplayer for the Boxee Box but it won't play the DISH Network sling devices from the 922 and Sling Adapter.

If DISH is going to continue calling these devices SLING devices then they should work with all devices PERIOD or else stop calling them Sling Devices!

Scott, do you know which codecs are used on these different "Sling" devices? Or maybe the encryption is different.

It seems that ever since Dish/Echostar acquired Sling media, they've just seemed to lost their technical edge. It used to be that Dish and Echostar came out with all the firsts when it came to receivers and other TV related technology but now, some, if not most, of the other TV providers have seemed to caught up in one way or another and the pressure is on Dish now to release something that works and works well. And sure, we know the XIPs are coming, but again how long is it going to take to get most of the bugs out so they can get a stable release out to the public? It'll be interesting to see what Dish plans on coming out with at CES in January, but again the key word is plans. Who knows of how much they planning on making actually gets released.

Nope they are the same. They just choose to block the DISH devices from the Sling software. :(

That is the oddest move from product management I've seen in a long time. In particular considering the DVR and Sling products integrated as separate devices in the web interface for YEARS.

I don't see how any of this stuff makes dish anywhere near the same feature set as DirecTV Home Media. All I want to do is have a couple DVRs to record up to 4 things at once, and watch them on any TV in the house. The slingbox is just another example of Dish Not Getting it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)