Sling Extender

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Why would anyone do this with any company? Making a puchase decision based on any sort of unreleased product or feature is a always losing game.

If a product doesn't do what you want now, then don't purchase it. If a later release sweetens the deal its just a bonus.

Dish is not alone in this, I doubt there is a tech company out there that has not abandoned announced or previewed products/features before release.
How about this for a reason you trust the company you are doing business with. Dish had this product listed as coming soon on there website for over 6 months. They showed it working at CES last year and still said coming soon. Dish never said:

Coming soon IF we can get the bugs worked out or
In development for a possible future release or
Being consider for later release if proven financially viable

They said "Coming Soon" and I based my decision to layout $200 for a 922 on that not on an "IF or MAYBE"

That is an almost perfect definition of "coming soon" for any company in my opinion.

Maybe I'm too jaded. Maybe its because I learned the lesson decades ago.

I hate to say I told you so... but I told you so.

Shame I was looking forward to it as well. With it I could have got rid of 2 of my HD DVR's and lower my bill. :(

The idea of which no doubt served as a disincentive to Dish.

Make a buck selling it, lose two bucks from what it replaced.

How about this for a reason you trust the company you are doing business with. Dish had this product listed as coming soon on there website for over 6 months. They showed it working at CES last year and still said coming soon. Dish never said:

They said "Coming Soon" and I based my decision to layout $200 for a 922 on that not on an "IF or MAYBE"
Buy the here and now, not the if and when. Didn't anybody ever teach you that???

And then there are those that go ahead, then publicly admit they shouldn't have...like Logitech and the Revue. My guess is that Dish/Echostar simply looked at the number of 922s and sling adapters out there and realized there was just not a big enough market, and a loss was certain. If so, applauds to them for not making a stupid business decision just to placate a relative few.

That's been my guess all along. I don't believe they saw no hope of getting it to work with the 722s, more likely just cut their losses. As much as they already have invested, if they could make the numbers work, they would find a way to make the software work.

I've never liked the idea of Sling for inside the home anyway. With the 813/110 in the (relatively) near future its not like the Extender would have been a long lived product.

If they got it to work with the 922, they could have easily gotten it to work with the 722/SA.

The obvious reason they dropped it was the the revenue they would have lost from the cancellation of many add'l receivers. Buh-bye add'l receiver fees.

It's the same reason you can't use the Sling app on the Revue to watch 922's or 722/SA's.

The obvious reason they dropped it was the the revenue they would have lost from the cancellation of many add'l receivers. Buh-bye add'l receiver fees.

I'm sure cannibilsm was a concern, but I doubt there really would have been a lot of it. I know if it had been released I might have gotten a couple of seldomly used bedroom TVs that I use the coax distribution for now, but I would never pay a separate fee for those rooms.

Based on the software viewer performance I just don't believe it could have ever been a real replacement for a receiver in locations you wanted something approaching true HD or viewed routinely.

Well, I figured it wouldn't be released. Although to me, if they would've just released it for the 922, it would've gave people more incentive to upgrade to a 922. But considering they can't get BBMP to work with the 922 right now anyway, yeah... So I'll be looking forward to what Dish will be doing with the XIPs. If there's a reasonable upgrade path for existing customers, then I'll upgrade to the XIPs. Otherwise, you might see me head to Directv or dare I say U-Verse.

Well this validates my decision to trade in my 922 last November of 2010. The WHOLE reason I wanted the 922 was the very concept of the sling extender and HD on TV 2. Thanks DISH for killing my faith in you as a company after 15 years. I will NEVER, ever, again pay to upgrade to ANY of your new concept receivers. Not till they are working without flaws and complete in the execution. I have bought and tried just about every new concept receiver from the original DISH player fiasco back in 99 through the Crappy 921 that cost me $1000.00 to buy , through the 942 dvrs (that I loved) to the vip series 622/722/now the 722k . I think that this decision to kill the sling extender has finally convinced me to stop having faith in DISH or their CES shows or any of their other "promises" Coming SOOoooonnnn! Frankly DISH and Charlie Ergen you can kiss me where the sun don't shine. :rant:

Not surprising. Even I who kept the midnight oil burning, was starting to wonder if it was ever going to come out. They better be bringing the hotness to CES.
Won't matter what they bring to CES . The 922 and the Sling extender where both heavily promoted at the CES shows for like 2 yeas in a row. You see how that turned out. NO sling extender and the 922 pulled from the market because of software compatibility with Blockbuster movie pass. " Don't believe the HYPE" should be DISH's motto.:rant:

Won't matter what they bring to CES . The 922 and the Sling extender where both heavily promoted at the CES shows for like 2 yeas in a row. You see how that turned out. NO sling extender and the 922 pulled from the market because of software compatibility with Blockbuster movie pass. " Don't believe the HYPE" should be DISH's motto.:rant:
Pretty much the only thing they can say at CES in my mind that would go anywhere to make amends would be that the XIPs are done and shipping today. There's little chance of that happening though. Only way that would even remotely happen is if they pulled resources off of finishing the Sling Extender and updating the 922 for Blockbuster and put people on getting those XIP units out the door.

I can't say I'm really surprised. At least they told us it won't come out. I'm still waiting on the dvr functionality for the vip 222 Dish announced several years ago.

I will say I have seen a lot of things at ces over the years a lot of which never was released (and I am not just talking Dish stuff)

This is true and it's not like D* hasn't had it's share of vaporware. People have pretty short memories and really what's relevent is what isn't out now. I mean, remember the satellite tuner box for both services for PCs that would tie into Windows Media Center? Or DLNA streaming between VIP boxes?

I can't say I'm really surprised. At least they told us it won't come out. I'm still waiting on the dvr functionality for the vip 222 Dish announced several years ago.
You can stop waiting. It was leaked it won't happen well over a year ago.

Well, at least I didn't pay for the Sling Adapter for my 722k in preparation for release of the Extender. On the bright side I can still sling to my iPad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)