Sling: Home vs. Travelling

tsummerall

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Just ordered the 722 sling adaptor and Im wondering something kind of basic.

If I'm watching on a laptop at home will the system recognize that and use my in-home bandwidth or will the data be sent out to Dish or my ISP and back somehow limiting it to my ISP bandwidth?

If the system won't use the local network automatically is there some trick I can use to force it to?

In my installation the 722 is ethernet cabled to my router and my laptop connects using Wifi N.

Last edited:
Sling Adapter uses local network automatically when your at home, internet is used to get you connected and put out guide info, I think.
Dan

DirtyDan is 99% right... your local network will be used for the data stream itself. There is some administrivia beyond getting you connected that is being sent out to the internet and coming back to your browser.

A couple of times I've used livetv or played a dvr event, I've had sutters happen, and when it does, I could see a connection attempt happening at the bottom of my IE or Firefox windows in the status bar.

Also if you're doing other things across your network while watching, keep an eye on the bandwidth (if using it in a window rather than full screen) to see if your bandwidth goes up to 8 megs like mine.. I moved my wireless connection to my 722's over to a new set of N based routers (300 Mbps) because I just wasn't able to get satisfactory rates on a G based network (54 Mbps) and get other things done at the same time..

922/722 with upcoming Sling Receiver 300

Switch for over the air

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)