Sling Hopper is a Self Install?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TechWriter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
So I called DISH to upgrade from my 1st gen Hopper to a Sling Hopper & I'm good to go, but they're just sending the Sling Hopper -- no installer required they said. Mmmmmmmm . . .

It's just a swap out?

I'm remembing sweaty moments during my original install (as well as reports from others) -- but it's that simple now?

If you don't disconnect the original unit until you get the replacement and have the two along side of each other, you should be able to transfer the corresponding connections without any problems. I never thought a tech should be sent out for this type of change over, but if you are unsure about doing your own, you should be able to pay a local installer to come out and do it for you if you cannot get Dish to. You could always try a PM to a DIRT member here to take care of it for you as well.

When the new Hopper is working, you can go to system wizard in settings and restore most of your settings from your remote. The timers restore but don't work so you will most likely have to delete them and set them up again.

The actual physical connections I get. My concern was for the Sling Hopper & Joeys "syncing" up ok.

I get why the concern, there were a few times getting the Joey's to sync was not easy. From reading posts I think that problem has been mostly eliminated. I'd also think if yours have been working with no problems, they will with the new Hopper. You can always call for an install if you have problems.

When the new Hopper is working, you can go to system wizard in settings and restore most of your settings from your remote. The timers restore but don't work so you will most likely have to delete them and set them up again.

The restored timers will work just as they did on the Hopper you replace.

They might take 24 hours to fully restore, though.

My restored timers didn't function fully until the next day.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

After three days, mine still did not work. They would show in the schedule and guide but would disappear the day of the show. Might be a new bug with S238.

The events connected to the timers get "lost" and they never fire.
You need to go through the timers and check if they have events, yet.
It would be nice if Dish would give a count of the events for each timer.
How hard would that be? It's much harder to go timers through one by one.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)